This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Leicester City 30th January 2019 8pm

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Liverpool-law, Jan 28, 2019.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Have to say,I'm with Ed on this one pal. VAR is for clear and obvious mistakes and even though I think it's a red card,I also think there's a decent argument against it.

2. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

It's not gonna fall into our lap is it... You'll have days like that... a point further ahead than we were yesterday morning, I'd have taken that. Thank you Rafa.

Bit of a funny night, you could tell from 60mins on it wasn't gonna happen...

Thought Henderson did really well in first half out of position. Keita looks like he's trying a bit too hard, needs a bit of confidence. Salah and Shaq were quiet.

Leicester are no mugs either to be fair, they're well organised and are probably the best side outside the top 6.

On a side note... if we are in the hunt for a right back next summer to compete with or cover Trent I'd have a look at their lad Pereira. He's been really good for them all season. Thought he did well again tonight.

3. joxers25

joxers25
    Expand Collapse

Another one of these to set us back on track...

Saturday 04 November 2017

London Stadium, London

West Ham1-4Liverpool

4. DARREN26

DARREN26
    Expand Collapse

Don’t know what to make of tonite
    Great we’re a point more ahead of city but so disappointing it’s 5 not 7

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I read we haven't lost a midweek league game (Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday) since 2012.

6. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

After last night.. I think it's a positive result buy opportunity missed in same sense. We were let off hook last night with there finishing.. our performance was pretty poor, considering we had so days rest,looked like we played alot of games. The atmosphere didn't help either last night. It's put more pressure on west ham game.. they play arsenal Everton and Chelsea..they will win them..

7. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Keep positive. Remember we are 5 points clear. Onto the next game.

This is the negativity thats causing the nervous tension at games.

Lets just support the team and let them play ball.

Remember its in our Hands. We aren't relying on other teams to do us favours.

8. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

The league wasn't won on Tuesday and it wasn't lost on Wednesday.

If you had told me on Monday that we would extend our lead over City this week (even by a point), I'd have taken the hand from you.

9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

I always feel we are one draw or defeat away from people going into meltdown. We drew a game last night that we didn't play well in and deserved no more which does happen in every league season but we are hearing we couldn't cope with the pressure, why did we go to Dubai, why didn't Klopp do this, why didn't Klopp that. I don't know at times.

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think it's so much more than that mate, this is the history of the club and the passion/expectations of our supporters weighing on everything at the club and the media will feed on that massively until this season is over, I said it a few weeks ago that the relative inexperience of the current players with the past might help us as it might not weigh as heavily as it did on the likes of Gerrard and Carragher. I genuinely believe it's harder for Liverpool to win a league than it is for any other club because of the amount of scrutiny that we're going to face from everywhere between now and the end of the season with ex players, managers all weighing in with likely well meaning but probably not helpful commentary. Hopefully Klopp and the lads build up their barriers and don't let any of it get to them.

The winning of this league is in our hands but it is still a very fragile lead and we need to be finding ways to win games like last night because I have a sense that nothing is going to come easy in the next 14 games and we'll need to really dig deep to get this across the line. The players we have are better than nearly every team we play against, if we can follow the Jim Gavin approach and focus on the system and try and forget everything else we should win enough matches to wrap this up.

11. Melion

Melion
    Expand Collapse

It's very simple. If we had played Tuesday and drew against Leicester and City had lost last night, we'd all be looking at it as a great week.

We've gained a point on City which nobody expected at 7.45 on Tuesday evening.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

In fairness Niall I don't see any meltdowns on this site, certainly nothing dramatic or worse than had we drawn a home game against a team of Leicesters caliber at any other time of the season. Why everyone is going so far out of their way to deny that there may have been some pressure involved in us dropping points for the first time to a team outside the top 6 is a bit bizarre for me, it's the most natural thing in the world for pressure to come into situations like last night. It might help us going away from home for the next game, there'll be less of that incessant pressure built up around the fixture though I'm not a lover of Monday night games.

13. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

In fairness Ed people are mentioning pressure and Dubai etc which is crazy in my opinion. Anyway onto West Ham we go.

14. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

Last night was a chance missed without a doubt. It's not the end of the world though, it was a poor performance on a sticky pitch and it wasn't a defeat. If anyone thinks Liverpool are going to win the league at a canter and without drama they need to give their heads a shake. When has any trophy in the last 20 years been a straightforward drama free win?

15. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

The nervousness from the crowd doesn't help and hopefully it's something Klopp addresses like he has in the past. We need the crowd to react as if it is a big European night, not sigh and groan because it's Leicester.

City have a tough week and a half coming up. Arsenal and Chelsea at home and Everton away. If they win those 3 they have a decent shot at the league as they'll feel their tough fixtures are behind them with ours to come. Big ask though. The next swing is key. If we go 7 or 8 points clear it will be very difficult for them. If it's back to 2 or 3 it's anybody's.

We were poor last night and City beat us this month yet we are 5 clear. My only concern is that we've had two chances now to open up a cushion and haven't taken them. Couldn't fault us away to city, I thought we were great but last night we were poor.

When teams play like that we have to work the ball to the feet of the front three in and around the box. When we do that we get goals, chances, penalties. Too often we are waiting and waiting for the perfect through ball that isn't there. Hopefully there's a reaction for the next game. Klopp usually gets one.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I don't think anybody is denying pressure is a factor in the PL,the issue is that suddenly its become the main factor and whole narrative around a poor performance,on a night where the pitch was to blame for a lot of the examples people are putting down to pressure. Can you envisage any poor performance between now and the end of the season that you won't put down to the players struggling with the pressure?

17. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

You need to block all that out and that's the managements job. Its all about the process. Its always about the next game.

You can't change the past but you can definitely define your future. This is the mantra of all performing teams I've worked with.

18. Benbecul97

Benbecul97
    Expand Collapse

On balance, I think its a good point gained rather than 2 points lost. When you play below par you won't always turn draws into wins.

Sure, Maguire could have been sent off, Keita should have got a penalty, but neither happened, so you get on with it.

Liverpool were flat and so were the crowd. In the second half Leicester looked the more likely to score (Nearly a Firmino og and Gray should have squared the ball to Maddison to tap in). Leicester have already beaten Man City and Chelsea, they are a very decent side.

For me, a good point gained. In each game week, if we can equal or better Man City's result, we'll be fine.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  19. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

He offered the one real moment of offensive quality 2nd half and that type of driving run is missing from our midfield with Ox injured. Was a definite pen and if he hadn't been clipped he'd probably have scored and been the hero.

20. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

5 points clear starting February, drawing and winning games that we so recently would of lost.

On course for a premier league record points tally

City should be the nervous ones.

Not a great performance, but we extended our lead at the top. We didn’t maximize our possible return but we also didn’t completely drop points. During the FA cup weekend just gone, if you said we would be 5 instead of 4 clear, I would of jumped at it

Hindsight is a great thing, but so is belief
    My glass will always remain half full

£6.50 likes this.