This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Everton Saturday 5:30 KO

Discussion in 'Match Day' started by ROCCO, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

No ones over it though are they. We like to say these things but it it was a choice or button you could press football would be long in my past.

Players are being absolved in some quarters and that irks me.

I'm still fucking fuming I'm not gonna lie, I've not reacted to a game like this in years, Burnley was bad for me. This is way worse.

1 out and 3 back this week. Get Milner back in from the start. Not one of them did we kick, I still can't believe it. They do what they did to your mates in Goodison, they do that and we don't lay a glove. No one takes a yellow. That's what bothers me most. Pickford should have been put through the net first corner. Someone needs to put a reducer on Richarlison. We missed Milner in this game more than any individual in any other individual game all season.

Set the fucking tone early and stop cowering waiting for Virgil to do it for yas.

Edit: I had meant to respond to more of your post Liverpool law but just ranted instead. I'm not at constructive yet.

Fuck sake reds.

south, Liverpool-law and Beano87 like this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Funny enough I thought Trent and Robertson left a bit on two early challenges but agreed all through the game it was passive enough. That’s the problem though when you have 70% of the ball and do nothing, the opposition don’t have the ball to get a chance to nail them.

These days if opposition get the first goal, it’s game over. Doesn’t appear to be the will to go the extra mile, all the passes are safe. Jones for me and the odd Time Thiago/Gini are willing to do something inventive. Thiago has been a massive disappointment.

3. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Yeo I agree re Thiago many mitigating factors of course and perhaps next season full squad we will see what he's got to bring to the table but he's been poor. With him Gini and Jones there's too many touches before the pass. Need more one touch and to move it quicker. We turned them over more than any team this season every single time they tried to play out we turned them over and we aren't quick enough or ruthless enough to make it count.

It's our worst run of all time the players available tired stretched too thin etc aren't bad enough to have that attached to them. Need to look in the mirror and fix it we cannot keep losing like this. It's simply not acceptable.

Why are we keeping the ball. We haven't once tried to give it up. If they sit deep stop the Diagonals and put it on the centre backs and rush the second ball. TRY. SOMETHING. DIFFERENT.

GaryMc likes this.
  4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing bla bla bla. It's very worrying from coaching and management point of view seeing them persevere with a system and style that this team and squad just can not execute.

I get why and all that and its admirable. If Jurgen wants to drown by it I'll fuckin sink with him myself but lets get experimenting. Lowering the defensive line, 3-5-1, 4-2-3-1, mane on right salah on left etc etc.Something. Anything at all to go about it freshly and give the opposition a head scratch because when not only your rivals but the absolute shite in this league can read us like a book its time for a rewrite.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I don't think the problem is to do with the system or our style of play, Looking beyond our biggest problem by a mile,having 8 players missing every week, which obviously we need to do because you have to deal with the circumstances as they are, the main issue is form and any system we implement will require players who are really out of form to do get back to doing the things they've stopped doing, most importantly Firmino, Mane and Robertson who are a shadow of themselves. Trent has been far better lately and Salah has been plenty good enough.

We can't say we don't have a fluid or versatile system because we do,with the exception of playing a big target man and maybe lacking goals from the midfield 3,its a hugely versatile system. We've struggled more against low block defending than anything else,and in that situation your formation is not really a factor because making the pitch as big as possible to exploit the gaps when you're in possession and making the pitch as small as possible when you're out of possession is dictated by the other teams formation,not yours so I'm not sure what people are asking for? I'm not saying there's nothing to be done tactically but anything you do comes down to players getting their mojo back as a creative force. We haven't stopped getting players into promising situations,we've stopped making anything from those promising situations so whats the solution beyond getting players fit to ease the pressure and workload on everybody?

With the exception of City who have become a bit more defence minded,who is approaching games against us any differently to what they have the last 3 seasons? Nobody imo,we just haven't been good enough to break them down and systems need the players in them to do their jobs correctly, even one as successful as ours. So I wouldn't be experimenting or losing faith in what's made us so successful and I understand why Klopp isn't.

6. RedArmagh

RedArmagh
    Expand Collapse

Carragher "Seems like I've upset some LFC fans with my commentary during the derby. I'm not apologising for it, they aren't exempt from criticism. Defenders being out, midfielders playing CB does not mean they can't win home games against Everton, Brighton, Burnley & WBA."

Longer explanation here -

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

With City last year most people blamed the absence of Laporte on their decline. The perceived wisdom is they remedied that by buying Dias. I don't buy into that, from what I seen of them last season the problem was their attackers not working hard enough. They weren't closing down as fast, they weren't making selfless runs and they weren't keeping the ball anything like as much as they are now and the previous seasons to that.

Thats were I see us now, Manè and Salah aren't making the constant runs in behind that do nothing but move the defenders back and forth. We are allowing them stand in a comfortable line and grow in confidence with every passing minute. I do wonder if Thiago was brought in with this exact thinking in mind? Asking Sadio and Mo to do that every 3 days was impossible and before we knew it old habits had been broken. Those lads and Bobby work harder then there are more 2nd pickings for the midfield 3 to win and any pass through to the opposition attackers are played under more pressure than has been the case.

Maybe I'm wrong and its as simple as Dias and VVD allowing the forwards to their thing.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Seems to me like Jamie Carragher doesn't understand why he's annoying people,and it started a long time before the derby,that was just the straw that broke the camels back for many. The "I get accused of being biased towards Liverpool so that must mean I'm balanced" is a bullshit argument too. He started last season panicking about our high line,wouldn't shut up about it and went back to it every time somebody got in behind as proof he was right about it. It was statistically the best Liverpool team of all time,second best top flight team of all time and the high line was a big factor in that but we had to deal with his PTSD from when he was a defender and hated defending high. Nobody is saying you're not entitled to criticise Liverpool Jamie but its your job to do it as a football pundit, not an over emotional supporter or ex player. If you can't do that,then guess what? You shouldn't be commentating on Liverpool games and I'm not going to apologise for that criticism either.

9. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I appreciate that Mick and for the most part I agree with you, where I differ is I dont believe exhausted players are going to play themselves out of exhaustion and into form. I was prepared to play the waiting game til players came back to lighten the load and rest lads. Biggest example of which for me is Roberston, he is so far below his own benchmark now he is starting to look like an 8million pound player from Hull. Thats hampering Mane and killing the left side, which means teams can over compensate on the right and shut Salah out in general play. Bobby is on empty and his confidence is lower than empty. He needs to come out of the team for his own good regardless of whats available. In that situation changing formation comes into for me to give him the rest.

We have waited to get people back to lighten the load and maybe now we have gotten to the point were the returnees are better than teh weekly outgoings and the fact we can rest will mitigate the injuries. My concern is not that what we do doesnt work, it is that we have waited for it to come back around so long we are on our worst home run in a century, trying something different isnt to change formation for formation sake, it is to get Firmino out of the team, Mane through the middle perhaps play a 2 with Mane and Salah through the middle which lightens the load on midfield and an attacker. Which means sacrificing possesion but Im not sure possesion suits us anyways, I'd have loved us to put 4 balls in a row on Holgates head and swamp the second ball saturday. I'm not crying out for indefinite change just soemthing that shocks the system perhaps for us and the opposition. Sheffield know what we are doing on Saturday, and in full pomp, who cares that they know it. But we are not in full pomp. Give them the ball and fight on the backfoot, throw it long give the opposite full back Salah after spending a week on Mane. It is not what elite teams do granted, but we are not at those levels at the minute. Fully justifiably and I am talking in regard to this specific vacuum that we are operating in.

We've gotten to Jota and Keita and they might just, possibly, be the jolt to the system. Fabinho and Milner back on top is the first time we have had an major influx like this so hopefully now with 4 centre halves to choose from, 2 extra midfielders and an extra forward the next few weeks can be a little kinder for us.

I am not looking to throw the babyout with the bath water, and my post might just be 2 weeks late given the prior paragraph but just offering contecx that my point was not to blow it up in sheer panic.