This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool V Atletico Madrid last 16 2nd leg, Wednesday 11th March

Discussion in 'Match Day' started by LFCRebel, Mar 8, 2020.

1. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Same as last year when we just had to settle for European Cup. It gives Qwerty and his fellow Utd fans something to cling to.

2. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree about our midfield, they have a very good midfield themselves and we dominated completely. Henderson in particular was magnificent yet again. For me hes been giving 9 out 10 performances since november. Be delighted for him when he gets POTY.

3. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

True, eradicating the away goal in extra time is a good idea..its a sucker punch rule but we've benefited from it plenty of times but in instances like tonight when a team is outclassed but yet one away goal & it's all undone, is hard to stomach..

Heard a VVD interview where he said we were all over them but "the difference between us was they had a world class keeper " ! All true but suggests his disgust for adrian performance !!...

After the Bobby goal we were annoyingly naive not to have gone straight into 'Athletico Mode' because there was zero threat from them in the game up to that & we were in total control.....slow it down, concentrate & see the game ou was what was required .:-(

4. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I keep torturing myself replaying what adrian did as I'm sure he & the players are...decent ball back by trent, just put your foot on it, kill time & play it out to Milner in acres of space!...I just can't understand what his thinking was to mindlessly hit it back into a cluster of players!..he wasnt even under pressure from a AM player ffs..

5. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

On another note the ref had a pretty good game, however i thought he could have added alot more time for their time wasting....he also let them gain 10yards on throws & frees time after time..
    Not booking Costa for throwing the ball away was a joke too....
    It was clear from the start they were going to try to timewaste & hold onto 1nil & from our equaliser they were aiming for penos...

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I noticed that but I honestly think he just saw the rouse for what it was, if he pings them for it then it just delays the game further.

7. Qwerty

Qwerty
    Expand Collapse

The away goal should be scrapped altogether.

It was brought in decades ago when teams were not as used to travelling.

#107 Qwerty, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  8. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I thought that we were fantastic last night.

We were by far the best team but it's the result that counts.

Poor by Adrian but that's football and we should have won in 90 minutes anyway. I wouldn't have Lonergan in next week. Leave Adrian in until the league is won and then give Kelleher a few games to see how he gets on.

The lads can relax now that the league is won (I know not mathematically but it is) so our season is over in March!

Give the fringe players a few games and give the regular lads, who have been playing football for 2 years constantly, a well deserved rest.

YNWA

Brian Boru likes this.
  9. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Kudos to wanker simone for making the valid & correct point that the away goal should not count in extra time. It's just wrong that the away side get an extra 30minutes to score an away goal...

10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Who knows how long it will be until LFC will be playing again.