This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool drop out of Forbes' top 50 most valuable sports teams - The Echo

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Garrett, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Apparently we've fallen from grace a little....

Liverpool drop out of Forbes' top 50 most valuable sports teams

Obviously, the increase in the value of various US sports franchises plays an important part of this, but I can't help also noting that the weaker GBP£ now compared to a year or more ago must also be playing it's part, given the values are compared in USD$

Hopefully the owners are not having too many restless nights worrying about this particular article though :)

@redabbey - FYI, given we've spent many a night debating the value of LFC, what it was worth when sold, it's going concern value etc. etc.

#1 Garrett, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Correct on the sterling effect.

'Two teams (Houston Rockets and Liverpool FC) fell out of the top 50, while British soccer club Arsenal had the biggest decline, falling 20 spots to No. 43. Arsenal’s value fell 4% to $1.93 billion largely due to the decline in the British pound following Britain’s vote to leave the European Union. In a strange twist of fate, Arsenal’s biggest shareholder is Kroenke, whose fortune rose with the Rams’ move.'

Have also said in the past that their might become a time when JWH might look to sell up, but that his shares within FSG would be bought by other investors.

I will admit I do find it puzzling that Forbes have the Red Sox as worth so much more, with baseball not a global sport. Indeed know US sport except maybe Ice Hockey (Canadian?) is played in many countries.

It must be about five years ago that JWH said at a Boston Chamber of Commerce meeting that the global audience for a LFC v Utd. match was 9 times that global television audience that watch a Superbowl Final.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I suspect there is a bit of a bias in favour of the American sports, given Forbes is a US publication.

Perhaps they also place a favorable weighting on the enterprise value (or brand value / goodwill, if you rather) of the various clubs in the US, because Forbes are more familiar with the US economy, politics, likely future tv coverage deals can be estimated better etc. When push comes to shove, other parts of the world are possibly less familiar to them, so that may make them a little hesitant.

Out of interest, do you accept the estimated value for LFC that Forbes are suggesting ?

4. prendy

prendy
    Expand Collapse

These things are rubbish. What is the valuation without FX? 4% decrease in USD valuation when the £ has fallen by anywhere from 10-14% depending on when this was carried out. Think June-June (brexit) would be -14%. So LFC is actually worth more year on year in £ terms.

A club is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I would place a huge bet on LFC going for a lot more than that if it were to become available for sale.

Garrett likes this.
  5. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have not the foggiest idea of how much the club is worth.

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Obviously, we agree on both points mate.

I've agonised on many occasions here on the site while trying to draw other peoples focus on the value attaching to the underlying goodwill and branding of LFC.... somone could launch a red lollypop tomorrow with the LFC logo on it and it would sell, or condoms etc (perhaps the marketing people in LFC need to sit down with Richard Branson and get a few more ideas ;))

Do I not recall correctly that you traditionally felt I was massively overestimating the value of the club, due to the goodwill value etc ? ... I'm not going to even try and search for the posts, but I thought you traditionally felt the club was worth a lot less than I did and I may have been pitching a value around the £1.1bn - £1.2bn mark.

7. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I expressed huge surprise at the massive jump in value that the club has very recently been valued at in publications such as 'Forbes'.

My main discussion's with you were more to do with the purchase price paid by then NESV.

8. Happy Wednesdays

Happy Wednesdays
    Expand Collapse

How could they quantify 'brand value' at $208m I wonder?

9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Maybe drop them a quick line and ask them what the breakdown of their formula is ?

I would not see it being an issue for them, regardless of what debate it may trigger in general discussions afterwards.