This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

LFC small talk

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Feb 1, 2013.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It's some set up at City alright mate,but I'd still think the FA Youth Cup home games should be played at Anfield.

2. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I'd say George and Tom are fewmin.

4. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

5. Ataturk

Ataturk
    Expand Collapse

Anyone missing a hat?

6. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

You'd have to fancy that City are now back as favourites to win the league, points wise we're still obviously on top but our form is just awful and we look certain to drop a lot of points on the run in, they'll drop some too but we appear to be completely shell shocked at the moment. I had felt the Leicester game was pivotal in the whole thing, a chance to stamp our mark on the league and send out a warning sign but we wilted when the pressure was at it's highest, there's mitigating factors in each of the last two performances but we needed to find a way to win those games and we couldn't do it. My general feeling is that all of the momentum is now with City but perhaps we'll turn things around if the incessant expectation that we're going to win the league drops off and we can play with a bit more freedom.

My only hope now is that this is just how Liverpool do things, always the hard road but looking at the fixtures list and current form we might have just seen the moment where we put City in the driving seat, that it was us falling alart rather than anything amazing City did is particularly hard to take. Spurs will have renewed hope now too, only 5 points back with us in a bit of a freefall.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

So how does this work? City lose to Palace,Leicester and Newcastle.We draw with Leicester and West Ham but we've fallen apart under the pressure and are in freefall and they're in the driving seat. If the team were cracking under the pressure even a fraction as much as our supporters,I wouldn't fancy us to finish in the top 4,never mind win it. We've gone through a tough period injuries wise for the last 6 or 7 games,and they've clawed back 1 point in that time. Take away the body language experts and amateur physcologists who can differentiate between a misplaced pass down to pressure and a misplaced pass down to any other factor,and I'd say we're in good shape.I might be in the minority at this stage but I'm going to stick to tangible reality for the time being Ed,but I look forward to our next conversation about how you don't deserve the tag of being pessimistic:)

Dubfan, £6.50, GaryMc and 7 others like this.
  10. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't see the game as i was at a funeral all day

Hopefully the players have more balls than alot of our fans

Anyway up the table topping never do things the easy way reds

11. corcaigh

corcaigh
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Carra last night, we are not wilting under pressure, we are just playing badly. Allison looks less assured, VVD was sick and probably still jaded, Milner looking a bit older and out of position, Keita hasn’t kicked on yet.

Front 3 off form as well but looked a bit better when we changed to 433.

honald_tdb likes this.
  12. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Fcuk me @edcarroll02 , how are we in freefall , 4 pts dropped that may not have been expected and city are favourites, do you always err on the pessimistic side in the hope that you will be proven right
    Fcuk I'd hate to have your perspective on our title challenge
    We are still ahead and it's in our hands!!

Niall likes this.
  13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That's the thing,Allison has looked ropey with his distribution but does he really strike anybody as the worrying type? Van Dijk switched off for Leicesters goal,definitely not the nervous type. Milner has done it all before.Henderson,Wijnaldum, Robertson are playing like theyve played all season.Mane has 3 in his last 3.Salah is used to carrying the hopes of 10's of millions on his shoulders.Firmino again is showing the type of pattern in his performances he's showed all season hot and cold. We've had plenty of injuries which is obviously going to effect performances. I'm not saying pressure isn't a real factor because I couldn't possibly know but we were way worse at Red Star Belgrade than in either of our last two games and nobody put that down to pressure. A bit of perspective would be nice in the discussion but we're not allowed to drop any points or be off form now without us being accused of bottling it.Thats not going to change so we just need to get back to winning ways.

14. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

The shit the beds lining themselves up for an I told you so to make themselves feel better should we not win it.

Colm75, Gerry and Niall like this.
  15. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Just looking at odds

City 10/11
    LFC 11/10
    Spurs 17/1

I think it suits LFC for the general tone to be City are favourites. I don’t think they are. They have looked ropey more times This season and was pleasantly surprised they didn’t buy a few players in Jan.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's very hard to see the wood for the trees when you're in the moment so hopefully we'll look back on it as just a mere blip but the last 5 games in the league have only yielded 8 points, it's way below our average that we had in the first 20 and you might say it's a small few games to judge us on but it's a big change to the points we were accruing before the end of the year. City have 12 in the same period which is short of the average that we had up to the end of December but it's a very quick turnaround on the lead that we had built up and in a race with the margins as tight as they are we don't have too much margin for error. The more problematic thing for us isn't the last two draws it's the worrying form we're showing, we should have lost last night, the offside goal aside we didn't really threaten but perhaps that point will be important come the end of the season. Whether the results are a result of the injuries (which is obviously a huge factor) or pressure due to the title race (which I also think is quite obviously a factor) you surely accept that this is a very difficult period for the team and we have form for struggling in the January/February period under Klopp, I think both 2017 and 2016 were very difficult for us but hopefully we can pick up very quickly and get back to winning ways. Momentum is so important to us and we need to get it back as quickly as possible.

And our conversation never had me disputing the fact that I have the tag of being pessimistic, I merely said that I didn't see things as rosey red as a lot of Liverpool fans which has quite obviously upset a lot of people this morning so perhaps I should be more circumspect in my post match musings.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Gary's posted odds above mate and City are in fact favourites with the bookies now.

Are you suggesting that I'm hoping Liverpool don't win the league so that I'll be proved right here or am I missing your point? Surely you realise how ridiculous that sounds if it is what you're suggesting, if anything it's how much I want them to win the league that probably causes what is hopefully just a mild overreaction to a few poor results and nothing to get too worried about, only the fullness of time will reveal the truth.

18. mallifornia red

mallifornia red
    Expand Collapse

We were bound to hit a sticky patch at some point.

Factors such as injuries , players form , tiredness and just not playing well as a unit in general all come in to play. We're missing 2 starting defenders as well as a couple of midfielders because of injuries and players having to fill in at the back.

If we don't beat Bournemouth I will be concerned but as it stands I think people need to see the bigger picture. City are just as likely to drop points as we are at the moment. We both have a similar schedule in terms of the top 6 we face so it will be a shootout of sorts to the finish.

No shame in losing out to a good City side if that happens but we're far from out of this title race

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of your argument against mine here mate because it's not the main point imo and I don't think you should be more circumspect at all,I think you should keep saying exactly what you think,the site would be shit if people didn't say what they thought to avoid annoying anybody. But for me it comes back to you judging Liverpool by different logic and standards than you do other teams. I'm 99% certain that if the two teams situations were reversed,you'd be using the exact same argument against us than I'm using for us. And It's not about who was right or wrong when it's all over because we're all wrong often,its about judging the situation based on the evidence we have available to us now and I genuinely think you're more inclined to take the pessimistic view and then build your case from there.I might be wrong but I think you're very clued in about football and so many of your opinions on our chances in tight situations down the years don't follow the same thinking pattern as the majority of what id consider your other very lucid opinions about other teams and us more generally.

Id never suggest that you want anything other than Liverpool to be successful but I think there is an element of I told you so there too(which there is in most of us). You were very keen to hammer home your point about the pressure getting to us after last night's result.Thats not so much a criticism because as I said we're all guilty of it sometimes but more an observation.

20. donalmaceoin

donalmaceoin
    Expand Collapse

Its obviously disappointing dropping points but we have to be optimistic. Both City and Spurs will not go undefeated for the rest of the season. (neither will we) We had a blip where we dropped 4 points we would expect to take. But i dont think its panic stations yet. Hopefully Everton can do us a favour. They have been very hit and miss this season but they are due a result.