This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

League of Ireland

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by born red 79, Apr 23, 2009.

1. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

yes any potential limerick galway replay is monday night at the markets field. i imagine they'd all be monday or tuesday night if they did go to replays

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I missed this mate but great post and the type of message LOI supporters should be getting out there instead of attacking people for not going to games.I have a soft spot for Drogheda going back to the Harry McCue team that got promoted at the start of the period that led to the success you speak of.

DalglishGold likes this.
  3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

4. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

amazing night in galway last night, all the passion from the stand had me actually believing we'd win the cup for a few minutes

5. D7Hooper

D7Hooper
    Expand Collapse

Great result for Limerick on Friday, personally thought Galway would do it at home, (just as well I never bet on Football ;) )

Other three ties went as expected. Credit to Bluebell, certainly played well, scoring two and had a couple of other chances, I'd say they were the strongest team we faced in the cup this season. They were better than Glenville or Shels. We just had that little bit too much for them, but it was a decent game overall and delighted we're in the hat.

Draw on Soccer Republic for the semi's this evening around 7:50, have a feeling we'll get Dundaaaalk away meself

thenewguy likes this.
  6. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You got the draw right

7. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Babbs,

Harry McCue is still held in the highest of respect in Drogheda. He took the job when we were foot of the First Division and endured a season where we were in a tie for last place. He then put a handy team together including taking a young Declan O'Brien from Leinster League football.

We won the first division the season later and stayed up, via an epic play-off, in his first season in the Premier. He laid the foundation for Paul Doolin (and the cash) to follow.

There was an honesty in Harry and his side that perhaps stood against him sometimes. Harry is a gentleman and I'm only sorry that he wasn't involved since but he seems to have done ok working with Noel King.

8. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry to say that I was right. At least Longford scored against Cork :(

However, they were at home!

Time for Drogheda to plan for next season in the Discover Ireland division.

9. D7Hooper

D7Hooper
    Expand Collapse

Three tough games for teams at the wrong end of the table tonight.
    Bray Wanderers v Limerick FC
    Drogheda United v Boez
    Galway United v Derry City
    If the Limerick lads get in touch with a 'fixer' in Bray, they might get a good result ;)
    Tough one for Galway, but hopefully they'll give themselves a chance, and a little help for us as well :)

Big one tomorrow in the drop zone: Finn Harps v Shligo Rovers, a Harps win would put the 5 clear with 5 top play so huge night for them.

EA Sports Cup Final for the Hoops tomorrow in Tallafornia, a good crowd expected, should be a cracking atmos, even if a 3oc kick may cool things down a bit, looking forward to it, they're favorites but I think we would both be the form teams in the league at the minute.
    We've won 7 on the trot, (4 of which were cup games) and I'm fairly confident of our recent showings in Tallaght, especially against the langers a couple of weeks ago.
    Would be great for the young lads in the squad to lift a trophy, but who knows, I'll enjoy the day anyway.

thenewguy likes this.
  10. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

D7, as a Drogheda fan, can I wish Rovers all the best tomorrow!!

thenewguy and D7Hooper like this.
  11. tuaman2004

tuaman2004
    Expand Collapse

Massive win for Galway, very surprised with the lack of threat from Derry, looked pretty comfortable! Results go Galways way this weekend and you can throw a blanket over the bottom 6!

thenewguy likes this.
  12. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

everyone in the bottom half is still in danger. galway winning last night like you said was massive, i'd have said limerick were safe or near as good as if had got 3 points last night but with just the 1, cant see us getting anything off cork next week so if the other teams get good results there is still a little concern.

cup final should be a good game today, and then the occasion of shane tracys testemonial will be a good laugh

tuaman2004 likes this.
  13. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Huge game in north west tonight..harps v sligo. Loser will more less be down,

14. D7Hooper

D7Hooper
    Expand Collapse

Disappointing result for the Hoops on Saturday, conceding such an early goal could have derailed the team, but in fairness, I felt we played most of the football for the rest of the first half, hit the post, narrowly wide overhead from McAllister.

Second half they had a couple of chances but we maintained possession well but just didn't have a killer finish. Red card for Bolger was unfortunate, ball was there to be won,(dundaaalk lad certainly made the most of it) but on a yellow he should have pulled back, he'll learn, he is going to be a top player, an absolute gem.

3-0 is a harsh scoreline, two late goals when we were pushing on with 10 men, but I thought it wasn't a bad game overall and the experience for the lads will be valuable.

15. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Huge game for pats tomorrow away to bohs, 3 points is a must I think.

Hopefully we get a big crowd over and made a decent racket in the des kelly regardless of the poor season 6 games left we have our part to play to try keep us up

Sib and Stevie S like this.
  16. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

another big night for ye monday night against rovers. after last night i expect limerick will be ok, finn harps losing to rovers with derry and dundalk coming up i think they will be going down with drogheda. so 1 of yourselves galway and sligo to join them, too close to call for me

BallyfermotReds likes this.
  17. BallyfermotReds

BallyfermotReds
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

We could have snatched a draw at the end Friday, Fagan hit the crossbar in the last couple of mins, nightmare..

We have shown already we are more than capable of beating rovers, beat them once and should have won the drawn game..

Getting more and more annoyed with Buckley not starting Kurtis Byrne he's been brilliant for us but they've obviously had a fallen out of some sort..

Lose tomorrow and I'll really start worrying

thenewguy likes this.
  18. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

20. D7Hooper

D7Hooper
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely Sick after Tuesday night. 4 Semi Final defeats in 7 years is a hard one to take :(

Most annoying is all of their goals were avoidable, Tomer pushed the ball onto McMillans head instead of just punching it for the first, he came for a corner he was never getting to for the second (2 miles offside from where I was, directly in line with it)
    The third we had 2 or 3 chances to clear it and the fourth didn't really matter.

Great heart and spirit from the lads throughout both ties, left nothing out there.

Dundaaaaaalk's "cleverness" or conning the Ref realistically, is at laughable proportions these days. O'Donnell is the worst diver I've seen since Greg Luganis, but the Ref gave him every decision. Gartland clattered into the back of Shaw countless times, not a sniff of a free and one which was a stone wall Pen. Gartland did the same V Harps last week and got away with it. Ref and Lino on the West stand side were dogshit.

Anyhoo, we shot ourselves in the foot with the goals we gave away and they took advantage, so they deserve to go through.
    I think we've proved there is not a lot between the teams on a Footballing level, which is a big improvement from us. If we had a clinical finisher, we'd be in the final. not having a go at any of our lads there, but that was the difference really.

I'll be supporting the Langers in the final (never thought I'd hear meself say that Ever :) )