This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Joel Matip

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by GaryMc, Aug 20, 2016.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It might be more when he's attacking the ball in the oppositions box but the lad gets brushed aside with remarkable ease when he's going for the ball, I've only really noticed it when he's up for corners or that type of thing but quite a few occasions this season when he's had opportunities to really go at a ball he's just been kind of bumped off it by a defender. I think his ability to sort his feet out is also a weakness of his, seems to be standing in awkward positions and never quite able to get them sorted quite right and can leave him vulnerable at times.

Overall I think he's a decent centre half, does a decent job in there beside VVD

2. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

If a footballer can't sort his feet out, he wouldn't be a footballer for long.

Niall likes this.
  3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

4. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Think that performance today, along with his fine run in last season, really cements him as VVD first choice partner. Gomez's time will come but Matip deserves it right now

Irishkop96 likes this.
  5. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Was his performance last night.. Gomez gets nowhere near team if matop on that form

6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

With VVD getting so much attention at corners and Trent capable of delivering it anywhere he should get 10 this season. He missed a handful of sitters last season when his head turning into a 50p piece, hopefully this one composes him and he can go on a run.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Really good at bringing the ball in the opposing half, he did play a bit in a central midfield earlier in his career. Ahead of Gomez for me at the moment based on performances this season. Once CL comes in heavy can see them being rotated

Terry likes this.
  8. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Is it true he only has 10 months left on his contract. Seem some where on twitter last night. Don’t know how true it is.

9. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Yeap that's true, I mind in interview he said wanted go back to schalke or wherever he came from . hopefully he stays for a bit. Funny none of lfc reporters are over this.. maybe he won't sign

10. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

He still has 2 years left

Jun 12, 2019

Speaking to Bild am Sonntag, he said when asked about a return to the Bundesliga: ”In football nothing is impossible. At the moment I still have two years remaining in my contract here at Liverpool.

"After some problems and injuries at the beginning meanwhile I feel very comfortable here. And I've been more mature as a player and as a person here in England."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-Matip-future-Jurgen-Klopp-contract-extension

Ron1892 and Irishkop96 like this.
  11. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Glad I'm wrong

12. RedM

RedM
    Expand Collapse

I can see why Klopp started the season with Gomez at centre back, he probably feels there isn't much between him and Matip and the younger player will improve more. However Matip is miles ahead on current form and should be first choice partner for VVD. Time for Joe to step up if he wants to get into the side. Good news for us, competition is healthy. Plus it keeps Lovren well away from the starting XI as an added bonus

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Matip wasn't as good as Gomez in the community shield, was woeful in the Super Cup,was average against Southampton and excellent against Arsenal. He had a strong end to last season and I'm happy for him to stay in the side but we're getting a bit carried away on how good his form has been this season.

Niall likes this.
  14. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Just read

James Pearce today confirming his deal ends in the summer but is going to be offered new deal.

Why did Matip say 2 ?

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Paul Gorst of the Echo

Joel Matip, James Milner and Gini Wijnaldum contracts
    PG: Will Liverpool extend the contracts of Joel Matip, James Milner and Gini Wijnaldum soon?

Liverpool are in no rush to sort a new contract for Joel Matip, who has just under two years left on his current deal. However, the Reds will certainly look to extend his stay, you would imagine, given his form over the last six months.

The club remain tight-lipped on contract talks until it is all done and dusted, but I’d expect at least a one-year extension for Milner to be tabled at some point this season.

In Wijnaldum’s case, he is probably the next one off the lot to have his service rewarded with fresh terms. The Dutchman currently has two years remaining on his deal and stated earlier this year talks had yet to begin.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if a new contract is thrashed out over the next few months, though.

ROCCO likes this.
  16. RedM

RedM
    Expand Collapse

It's a weird one with Matip. I can't remember him getting a new deal since we signed him on a 4 year contract in 2016. Which means his current contract runs out summer 2020. Hopefully we get him signed up between now and January.

17. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

So it's actually out to Summer 2021 now. That would make him 29.

He seems to be able to play well with VD, so I'd extend his contract in the coming months, given we haven't brought anyone else in and Gomez is no where near ready to partner VD.

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Gomez has already very successfully partnered VD last season and he was incredible there, he was unlucky with injuries which moved Matip back ahead of him for now but that is absolutely way off the mark Garrett.

Skintown Red and Niall like this.
  20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Sure, he played well for a spell before he got injured, but for me he's no where near at the stage where we consider him the obvious first choice to partner VD.