This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Joel Matip

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by GaryMc, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

Gomez will be first choice next season anyway

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I dont really buy the theory that a lot of the criticism he gets is because he looks awkward. I think that was the case with Sakho because people were consistently saying he made them nervous while in possession,when in reality he was very good in possession. With Matip all the criticism I'm seeing is based on notable issues with his game or obvious mistakes,awkward looking or not.

3. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

Like everyone when they first come in you tend to just see the good things they do. Calm, decent on the ball, a better replacement than any player that had left before him and that all still holds.

A few seasons in and while doing a decent job, I feel he's a bit weak, most things he does aren't to the level they should be at, decision making is crazy at times. Nearly got caught in two minds last night while he was last man, with a simple defensive header.

He's doing a decent job and will prob finish out the season as Van Dijk's regular partner but for me it's clear to see that when Gomez and Lovren were fit, that he was 4th choice.

Funny thing is, having said all that he kind of reminds me of myself when I played

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I can confirm Sibbo had a very similar playing style to Matip:)

Stevie S likes this.
  5. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Perfect choice as back up , still think he is a decent CB

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

played 90 minutes in last 13. Got lucky the OG against United was ruled out and the one against Munich was not coslty.

Can look jittery but I'd have him in the team ahead of Lovren every week. Less likely to let one mistake ruin him for an entire game.

I'd be moving Lovren on before Matip in the summer however if he can stay fit then Gomez is clearly the best partner.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not being smart but nobody has actually mentioned what his strengths are when he's defending.

8. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

He reads it quite well, rarely beaten in a foot race or maybe more accurately manages to avoid being in one.
    His height alone means he wins most headers. I'm not overly concerned with the ball at his feet

Skintown Red and babbsnads like this.
  9. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I think he is fairly good at anticipating certain situations and backs himself. Was one last night he let the ball come across the box when maybe should have cleared it but was right decision.

In some cases maybe a bit too much confidence. As someone mentioned earlier, he is not as good as he thinks he is.

Also think when he is in the team ahead of Lovren he is much more liable to take the ball into midfield with confidence in his ability to pass in triangles. With Lovren I feel he is he is playing a small bit on the edge once he crosses midfield with the ball at his feet.

Out and out defender, Lovren is better but in the current LFC team where amount of actual defending can be limited, Matip would be preferred option (until he makes a major mistake)

xRedmanLFCx, Stevie S and babbsnads like this.
  10. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

He read the first goal really poorly and was trotting around aimlessly for longs second chance. Lovern is prone to a howler but i think he's more position aware than matip. Toss of a coin between them for me, Gomez definitely superior.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd put no blame on him for Longs goal. I actually dont see what was wrong with his positioning. He has to be there to allow TAA to get out to Bertrand imo. Van Dijk reacted a little bit too slowly but to be fair to him it was a late run into the box from a midfielder which is tough to deal with. Robertson probably most at fault for getting caught under the ball but even then I think Keita made his job harder for letting a player run off him and leaving Robertson with 2 to deal with.

Stevie S and Gerry like this.
  12. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Can't understand the need to always find blame for goals conceeded. Sometimes it happens and nobody's at fault.

Skintown Red likes this.
  13. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

Very often it is though and it's just about discussing what happened mostly. Long had all the time in the world in our penalty area, thats a defensive error whatever way you look at it.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  14. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Personally like the confidence he shows in himself, you can see he has it in locker to play as a defensive midfielder, wins his fair share of headers on corners at both ends , personally feel he can over play it when he intercepts the ball in midfield and could release it to a red shirt .

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd have to strongly disagree mate,no way he has it in his locker to be a defensive midfielder in the premier league. Nowhere near mobile enough and while he reads the game well enough as a centre back to avoid leaving himself one v one,he'd be far more exposed to those situations playing as a DM and get dribbled past for fun. You need much quicker feet in there and a manager with a little bit of nous could make any ability he has on the ball null and void very easily by having an attacker drop onto him. Hed also find himself in a lot more physical confrontations and I dont think even his biggest fan would deny he struggles in that department.

16. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

He played 2 full seasons as a defensive midfielder with Shalke even 6 months as striker with them I think .
    I agree he would struggle has as a defensive midfielder but the attributes he has for 2 seasons contributed to why he like to pick it up from in front of the back four and run with it out of midfield

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

If Shane Long scores against you someone is to blame. Gini number culprit for me, Matip 2nd in line, Virgil and Robbo were hopelessly exposed, I'd put no blame on either.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If he played 2 full seasons as a midfielder with Schalke,then I'd be pretty certain that either Schalke played a hugely different system to us or they were a very poor side,I can't even imagine how they played with him at centre forward. Henderson isntbgreat at recieving the ball on the half turn but he's incredibly mobile and that helps him make space to recieve it. Fabinho is less mobile but is technically more proficient at recieving it in tighter spaces. I know you're not suggesting that Matip plays in midfield ahead of those two but my point is he has neither the mobility or the technical proficiency to recieve the ball in tight spaces and get turned,so how does he get himself into position to run it out from midfield? It's like the argument that Glen Johnson would be a better winger but it ignored how much easier it is to come onto the ball from deeper.

#258 babbsnads, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

What did Matip do wrong Bob? There's a Southampton player occupying that space where he was,if he doesn't fill that space then Trent can't put any pressure on the ball without leaving a humongous gap.

20. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Yes I’m not saying he will ever play for us as a defensive midfielder my point is I can see why when he wins the ball he likes to run with it than just hit it away .