This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Irish fan in critical condition after Roma game

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by justydawson, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

Don't think that would be palatable Garrett, maybe im wrong. Would be some level of Roma supporters at it, something about that not sitting right with me, so soon anyway.

2. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It's on record that the club will work with the family, they will im sure work it out between them as to whats best going forward to help

I think ive stated here before i wouldnt be surprised to see the reds play a game here to help

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sean Cox no longer needs a feeding tube, can say more words and is trying to sing along to familiar tunes, his wife Martina has said.

Mr Cox was seriously injured during an unprovoked attack as he was making his way to Anfield for Liverpool's match with Roma in April.

A huge fundraising drive to pay for his ongoing medical costs has so far raised over €1.1m.

In a statement released today, Mrs Cox expressed her gratitude to those who have helped her husband since he suffered his devastating injury.

"As we reach the end of 2018, I would like to extend a huge expression of gratitude to everyone who supported Seán and I, and our children Jack, Shauna and Emma, since Seán’s attack in April of this year," he said

"We spent a lot of time over Christmas with Seán in the National Rehabilitation Hospital, Dun Laoghaire, where he is continuing to make progress. He no longer has a feeding tube so is starting to eat and drink again with the help of the wonderful nursing staff. Seán has some more words and is trying very hard to sing along to familiar songs; these are encouraging and proud steps for us all.

"Our family used the time with Seán over Christmas to try and relay to him the public goodwill and support there has been for him over the eight months since his attack. We have shown him social media posts, press clippings and videos from fundraising events across Ireland, England and further afield, the GoFundMe page and the SupportSean.com website, letters and signed jerseys all in aid of Sean and his recovery.

"This time last year we were an ordinary family looking forward to another New Year and what that would bring. Seán or I never dreamt that twelve months on, there would be websites or media interviews or fundraising events all brought about by what happened after Seán was attacked in Liverpool on 24th April."

She admitted that the kindness and generosity they have received has helped her family to cope,

"While it has been an exceptionally difficult time, what has helped me and the kids get through it has been the overwhelming goodwill of Seán’s family, friends, supporters and the general public. The Support Seán campaign has witnessed huge generosity and has raised €1.1 million to date. People whom we have never met have been there for us in so many, many ways, alongside our family, friends and local community. While we have a battle ahead again in 2019, our burden is lightened by this love and support for Seán," she added.

"Thank you for everything you have done for Seán, our family and me during 2018. To the communities of Dunboyne, Dublin, Ireland, Liverpool and many other places across the world; to people who took part in events for Seán, organised fundraisers or donated online; to the child who sent five euro of their pocket money in an envelope to our house; we owe you a debt of gratitude. Thank you and Happy New Year."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...ises-the-public-for-its-support-37663016.html

Am I reading between the lines too much on this or is the clubs name conspicuous by it's absence in the list of people thanked here? Great to see that he's progressing well and has gotten to this point but money is going to be massive for this family and the club and players are in a position where they could dwarf the figure that has already been raised if they truly got involved.

GaryMc likes this.
  4. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

See Gerrys comments above...

Whether privately or publicly i hope they make a significant contribution. Similiar for the players 10k a piece would be small enough potatoes

5. Dave3

Dave3
    Expand Collapse

6. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad its been announced now, i knew the club had a game planned

Lets hope its very well supported now, it could have been any of us

We have loads of reasons to moan about the club over the years

Its right now to thank them and say well done for the support they are offering

Rob01, Dub13, redabbey and 7 others like this.
  7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Liverpool Football Club will host a special legends game at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Friday April 12 in aid of "SupportSean", the Sean Cox appeal.

A squad of former Reds will line up against an Ireland XI team, with proceeds raised from the match donated to the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust.

Sean’s wife, Martina Cox, said: “Sean has been supporting Liverpool all of his life and to have this match in Dublin in his name will be a special day. It’s going to be a very long and slow process for Sean’s recovery and I’d like to thank the overwhelming support Liverpool fans have shown.

“I’d also like to thank the club, players and those former players who will be playing in the match for their continued support. We are also working with LFC on a number of other initiatives that will help to support Sean’s care in the years ahead.”

Earlier this season, during the Reds’ Premier League fixture against Cardiff City, the club and fans came together to show their support for the appeal with volunteers from LFC and Spirit of Shankly staging a bucket collection at Anfield which was match-funded by LFC Foundation, the club’s official charity, taking the overall total to £59k. The club and first-team players are also supporting the appeal privately.

Peter Moore, chief executive officer at LFC, said: “We’re all behind Sean and his family. We hope this unique legends game in Ireland’s capital will be a huge success and help generate vital funds to support Sean’s rehabilitation. The solidarity shown from supporters throughout the world for Sean is incredible and we thank everyone for their continued support, including the Football Association of Ireland and its CEO, John Delaney, in helping to arrange this game.”

Stephen Felle, chairman of the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust, added: “As well as being a fantastic event in honour of Sean Cox, it will be a special opportunity for Irish Liverpool fans, and Irish sports fans generally, to see a myriad of legends play in the Aviva Stadium. To coincide with the visit of LFC to Dublin, we are also planning a gala dinner in aid of the SupportSean campaign in Dublin on the evening prior to the match.”

Full details of the game, including the squads and ticket sales, along with the gala dinner, will be announced in due course.

Reds fans can also support the appeal directly by visiting: www.gofundme.com/SupportSeanCox.

redabbey, honald_tdb and xRedmanLFCx like this.
  8. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

9. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

That's very good news. I hope it will be a big attendance.

10. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

Great news. Be a massive attendance with team going so well, the general support that's there anyway and of course the Sean factor. Wouldn't it be great to be 12 points clear in the league also.

Will McAteer be carrying a ban i wonder ha

11. click22

click22
    Expand Collapse

Should be good, see a few legends on both sides