This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Irish fan in critical condition after Roma game

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by justydawson, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

2. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

redabbey and Mico like this.
  3. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

I've been waiting to hear new like this myself.

kopdub and Niall like this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

5. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hopefully many more arrests to follow.

Niall likes this.
  6. Stephen Chawke

Stephen Chawke
    Expand Collapse

Great to see they are not settling for the original 2 they picked up

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Italian man to stand trial in Liverpool fan Sean Cox assault case
    Updated / Thursday, 11 Oct 2018 09:31

[​IMG]
    Sean Cox had travelled to Anfield for the Champions League semi-final game between Liverpool and Roma

An Italian football fan accused of seriously injuring Irish Liverpool supporter Sean Cox before a Champions League semi-final is due to go on trial in the UK today.

Filippo Lombardi, 21, who will appear at Preston Crown Court, denies wounding or inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Cox, 53, who suffered serious head injuries when he was assaulted outside Liverpool's ground Anfield in April.

The father-of-three from Dunboyne, Co Meath, suffered life changing injuries and was left in a coma after the attack, which happened before the first leg of the Liverpool and Roma clash.

Mr Cox, who is originally from Dublin, spent almost five weeks at the Walton Neurological Centre in Liverpool being treated for his injuries.

He has now been transferred to Ireland for continuing medical treatment at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in DĂșn Laoghaire.

An earlier court hearing was told he was out of the coma, but his condition remained "very dire".

Mr Lombardi, who has been remanded in custody ahead of the trial, has admitted a charge of violent disorder.

In August, Roma supporter Daniele Sciusco, 29, was jailed for two-and-a-half years after he admitted violent disorder before the match.

Another man was arrested last weekend and appeared in court in Rome where he was remanded ahead of an extradition hearing.

8. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

PureKlaas likes this.
  9. PureKlaas

PureKlaas
    Expand Collapse

Tough reading some of that, imagine the CCTV is pretty horrific. Sounds clear that it was a punch to the head and not a belt buckle as others were reporting.

10. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hard enough reading details from the court of what happened

Ive met seans family since, seeing their names earlier and the details of sean and his brother martin from the night would break your heart, i hope they get through this ok
    It must be so hard

77kop05, ROCCO and honald_tdb like this.
  11. Con 93

Con 93
    Expand Collapse

Myself and a mate are running 5k a Day for the last 50 days of the year to help raise funds - Starting November 12th. We're just asking friends/family to donate via the main fundraising link.

We're thinking of fitting in a couple of the park runs based around Dublin as part of this challenge. I'm going to see what I can do about getting a fundraising bucket at a few of the different park runs.

If anybody would like to join us in this challenge, let me know. I know we have a few runners on here. Its a simple enough idea that we're trying to grow out.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Would love to join in a park run or two for sure

13. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Good work here from Sos and Lfc
    Lets hope its really well supported and hopefully the club will continue to help the cox Family

14. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Will deffo do a few parkruns with you's

15. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

Dunboyne won the Meath SFC yesterday, I normally get to the final but missed it due to the twins birthdays. As far as I read the captain mentioned Sean in his speech.

Fair play to the club and SOS too by the way.

kerryred68 likes this.
  16. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

A Roma fan accused of a joint attack on Irish Liverpool fan Sean Cox outside Anfield has told a court he was not looking for trouble and was just lost when disorder broke out.

Filippo Lombardi, 21, from Rome, is accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Sean Cox, 53, ahead of the Champions League semi-final on April 24.

A jury at Preston Crown Court has heard that another man threw the punch which left the Irish father-of-three in a coma, but Mr Lombardi is alleged to have swung his belt in Mr Cox's direction at the same time, although it is not clear if the belt made contact.

Today, Mr Lombardi told the court he had swung the belt at a man standing behind Mr Cox's brother Martin, who he believed was being aggressive towards him.

Mr Lombardi, who walked from Liverpool Lime Street railway station to the football ground with a group of supporters, said he had taken his belt off before getting to the stadium.

He said: "I saw a few of the Liverpool fans in front of one pub and they started to tell me something, but I didn't understand what they said.

"I realised they weren't friendly and for that reason I understood that near the stadium could be a dangerous situation and therefore I took off my belt and wrapped the belt around my hand."

He said he had the belt wrapped around his hand when he walked into Walton Breck Road, which was full of Liverpool fans.

He said: "I was lost because I didn't know the right way. I thought that in this street could be a dangerous situation so I wrapped the belt around my hand."

But he told the court he unwrapped the belt when a man with a white scarf started talking to him aggressively.

He said: "He started to tell me, I didn't understand what he said, but something like 'Fight' and this moment I unwrapped the belt off my hand."

He demonstrated a sideways swipe motion he had made with the belt towards the man.

He said: "I didn't hit him and I didn't want to hit him, just get him away from me because I think he started to tell me something aggressive."

Mr Lombardi said it was only after he swung the belt that he saw Mr Cox lying on the ground.

"I didn't realise what happened because I didn't see," he said.

The defendant, who has admitted a charge of violent disorder, told the court he had then become involved in a fight with another man who, he said, covered his face and started a confrontation.

He said: "I realise that I have done a mistake being violent in this situation."

Asked by Alison Gurden, defending, if he had been looking for trouble, he said no.

Lombardi, who had an Italian interpreter in the dock with him but understood and spoke English most of the time, told the court his cellmate in prison was a Liverpool fan and they were friends.

The court heard that he usually went to Roma games every weekend and had been to Europe to watch them play about 10 times before but had never been arrested or involved in football-related disorder in the past.

The jury has been told that Mr Cox, from Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland, is unable to talk or sit up unaided following the attack.

The trial continues.

17. Con 93

Con 93
    Expand Collapse

That would make you sick reading that.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Yeah right.

19. Con 93

Con 93
    Expand Collapse

Sickening. Lying through your teeth if you say that you don't feel safe on Walton Breck Road.

20. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't believe a word of it. Total bullshit. Must be hard for the Cox family listening to that