This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Injury Crisis

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by GaryMc, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

“Alberto is fine now. He trained this morning and he’s looking good,” Klopp told the ECHO.

“Roberto is close. Both he and Lucas are in a good way and improving. But I can’t say at this stage when they will be ready.”

2. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

I have my doubts

3. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Both Benteke and Origi injured while on international duty

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I don't suppose thats a bad joke someone put out about the two Belgian lads by any chance, given recent events ?

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Must have been in training that, their game was cancelled!

6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

7. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

No

Origi sent back and Benteke to be assessed

Garrett likes this.
  8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this Belgian journalist's opinion.

9. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Every club gets injuries, you can see the affect of Chelsea missing two of their back 6 unit against United had on them. The last time their back six was not in place was their last defeat in the league.

Arsenal have a terrible injury record over the years, however the likes of Ozil and Sanchez never seem to pick up prolonged injuries, Chelsea as well, Cahill, Matic, Hazard, Costa. For Spurs, Kane, Vertongen and Walker seem to pick up their fair share, however largely they have same unit week in week out.

Liverpool's key players for what seems like a long time have a lot of injuries (this goes back to before Klopp so not blaming his training methods).
    Matip is arguably LFC's best defender however I doubt we will ever get 30 league games in a single season (25 so far this season)
    Lovren is next best 24 starts last season and 25 so far this year (Wont get to 30)
    Henderson is the captain and when fit, the best midfielder, however 17 starts last season and 24 this season (Wont get to 30)
    Sturridge is probably best striker, however not even worth bringing up his stats.

Coutinho picks up relatively small spell injuries, however needs 3 or 4 games to get anywhere sharp, same with Lallana.

We do have durable key players like Clyne, Milner, Wjnaldum and Firmino so its not all bad, however I hope one of the key things that club is looking for in new players this summer is fitness records.

During their great years the spine of Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba hardly ever missed a game between them, never mind individually. The same with Arsenal Invincibles with Lehman, Campbell, Viera and Henry. Citys best team of Hart, Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero were almost ever present when they won leagues. The seasons you take out one or two of them for a spell, they fell apart.

Those type of players are hard to find and will cost big money, I hope it's large factor when it comes to deciding targets.

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Again, we find ourselves going back to talking about needing to spend big :)

I can appreciate that everyone gets injuries and anyone can be unlucky, but if you've limited quality players then the impact on the team's perormance is far greater. Also, there's the issue about top players and the mental strength - which does play a part in recovery times, desire to get back on the pitch and so on.

11. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Injuries will happen, it's having a decent squad to replace the injured players that has killed us

elvis likes this.
  12. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The Liverpool injury stats that prove Jurgen critics are wrong

Liverpool’s medical and sports science staff helped reduce soft tissue injuries at the club by more than half last season.

The Reds’ head of medical services Andrew Massey says careful management helped ensure that members of Jurgen Klopp’s squad avoided hamstring, groin, calf and thigh problems.

Most of the major injury setbacks over the course of the 2016/17 campaign were impact related with the likes of Philippe Coutinho (ankle), Jordan Henderson (foot), Sadio Mane (knee) and Danny Ings (knee) spending significant spells on the sidelines.

The data flies in the face of criticism of Klopp’s training methods with Dutch fitness coach Raymond Verheijen frequently claiming that the Reds boss puts players at risk of injury by over-exerting them.

Massey told rousingthekop.com: “Success for us is essentially enhancing performance and increasing player availability, keeping them in a physical condition that makes them able to perform in a Liverpool team.

“We worked hard this year and decreased our soft tissue injuries, essentially injuries that can be avoided as opposed to traumatic injuries where the medical input has less of a preventative effect, by nearly 60% compared to last season.

“We also reduced the total number of days missed through injury, meaning we are getting players to return quicker, which proves the great work being done by our rehab team.”

Klopp made changes to the club’s medical and sports science departments last summer by bringing in Andreas Kornmayer as head of fitness and conditioning and Mona Nemmer as head of nutrition.

Last month he raided his former club Mainz to add head physiotherapist Christopher Rohrbeck to his backroom staff.

Massey made the step up to Melwood in 2015 after two years working at the Academy.

“It has been a fantastic journey,” he added.

“I am fortunate to be working in a job that I love and because of that it feels like I get to work doing my hobby.

“Liverpool is a great club to work for and has a tremendous history throughout the world. Yet to its credit has still kept that feeling of a family club. There is an ethos, especially in Melwood, that everyone plays their part in the performance of the team.

“My long term ambition is to help Liverpool develop a successful medical and sports science institution which would provide the club and the city with elite level facilities, education and research all in the name of sports medicine.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...erpool-injury-stats-prove-jurgen-13235917.amp

Garrett, bobby benitez and redabbey like this.
  13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It's fantastic that we reduced soft tissue injuries and we're getting players back on the pitch quicker after injuries,fair play to everybody involved.But we didn't imagine the injuries we had last season,no matter what kind of injuries they were,they happened.Compare the amount of games we lost our most important players last season compared to Chelsea which I think is a fair comparison(similar number of games,using a similar sized squad).Maybe I'm wrong but they seemed to be able to put out their best 11 far more often than we could.

If it was just bad luck for us and good luck for them then with our reduction in soft tissue injuries we should be in great shape going forward.But Daniel Agger comes to mind.I remember people arguing he wasn't injury prone because he wasn't picking up soft tissue or muscle injuries but mainly impact injuries.At a certain point you have to accept though that it's not down to bad luck.With the level of reduction we've had in soft tissue injuries then we should be experiencing below average injury rates.If we're not come the end of next season then I think this pat on the back we're giving ourselves will have been premature.Still news to be welcomed all the same.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I had initial concerns about our level of injuries and reckoned that Klopp was pushing them too hard, or that some of the lads were just not physically up to the standard required by our new manager. However, looking back at last season, I'd also accept that we were unlucky to a degree with our injuries - sure, had we a bigger squad we could have coped better (and in that respect, I think we were wrong to have kept the squad quite so small), but I'd be hopeful that we won't experience a repeat of some of the nasty long term injuries we saw our lads suffer, in the new season (or ideally, any season in the future).

Obviously the above excludes Sturridge - he remains in a category all by himself, as there's no words to explain how he has managed to get injured so often....

15. Happy Wednesdays

Happy Wednesdays
    Expand Collapse

I have one word - hypochondria!

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Unless hypochondria includes the ability to fool MRI machines and scans you'll probably need a couple more words mate.

17. Happy Wednesdays

Happy Wednesdays
    Expand Collapse

God is probably helping him with that

babbsnads likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

He does work in mysterious ways.

Any word on Henderson's career ending injury?

19. Happy Wednesdays

Happy Wednesdays
    Expand Collapse

Heard no more - thats why I said it was a rumour. Like many rumours in Liverpool (and it came from a barman not a taxi driver!) I hope its not true.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

part-time hypochondriac ? ;)

Happy Wednesdays likes this.