This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General UFC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by homer1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Suarez for the biting incidents for me. The whole Evra thing I still think was blown out of proporation and was badly handled by the club.

Could not believe the bite on Ivanovic, however the one on Chiellini in World Cup is one of the maddest and stupidest things I ever seen in sport. Still hard to believe

On McGregor, I think he has a chance now to be the bigger man and drop the stupid persona he has developed since Mayweather fight. Put this ‘feud’ behind him and get on with his career and selling whiskey.

2. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Maybe he should be more public about his charitable work and promote the idea of helping people in need, instead of acting like a wannabe gangster and promoting acts of criminality?
    I was happy to see him succeed when he went to the UFC but now he acts like a scumbag and it doesn't matter if it's just for show.
    He is a role model whether he likes it or not and at the moment he is not a good one.
    I've never known an MMA fighters fans to have such a bad reputation as his and that's because of how he acts.
    I'm not going to cheer for a scumbag just because he's Irish.

I didn't care if he won or not, I just wanted to see a good fight and the best man win.
    All the mayhem that followed, wouldn't have happened if Conor didn't talk shit about Khabibs family or smash the bus up.
    You reap what you sow.

KopHaney and mark buckley like this.
  3. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

People said the same after his loss to Diaz.
    Yes, Khabib is a step up but I'm sure if Conor was motivated enough he could learn a lot from this loss, adapt and possibly get the win.
    However, he doesn't seem to have that same motivation that he used to... whether that changes or not is up to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Khabib is stripped and banned, leaving the door open for McGregor v Ferguson for the title.
    If Conor is champ when Khabibs ban ends, we will see yet another 'biggest fight in UFC history'... *ka-ching*

4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Not embarassed by him (why should I be) but still think he has acted like a scumbag. As did Suarez, not sure what you are getting at but seems like deflection to me. If you stand by his actions, why do you care if others don't accept them?

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Did khabib reap what he sowed when he gave artem lobov a slap?
    This is quality, never seen a punch like this in the WWE by the way.

6. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not trying to deflect anything

I was genuinely wondering that's all

Some people and im not saying anyone on here

Are very selective with condemnation

Many said very little about Suarez but condemned other footballers for lesser things

Im not really too bothered what people think of him, everyone is free to see him or anyone else in whatever light they choose

Ive seen other sides to him in real life away from the ufc
    And for me peronally i dont feel embarrased by the actions of one person, some said he embarrased the country

Things like the church or failure to protect vulnerable in our society are things that would get me more

#1326 Gerry, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Liverpool-law likes this.
  7. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Lobov talked shit about him online and Khabib confronted him about it.
    It was a nothing incident and wasn't even a proper slap.

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

John kavanagh on the Joe Rogan show just hinted at a rematch with khabib, he mentioned March 16th but said more likely to be next summer.

9. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

The bad blood between them goes back a lot further than the bus incident. Nurmagomedov was origonally scheduled to fight Eddie Alvarez for the belt at UFC205 but got pulled for Mcgregor. He said in interviews it was all about the PR rather than records or deserving the shot (Might not be wrong), and was supposed to have had words with Mcgregor after the main event, further down the line his crew gave one of Mcgregors guys a roughing up at a hotel (how serious it really was is debatable). Cue Mcgregor going postal with a crash barrier and a bus.
    I think McGregor created a cartoon version of himself some years back, and was highly watchable and popular, because he was the "plucky little Irishman" going to fight the world, and his soundbites were funny and entertaining.
    Maybe he thought after 2 years out he had to come back with a bang, and be even more controversial, but even his most ardent supporters would have to agree he crossed several lines building to the Nurmagomedov fight.
    I think any future rematch (although why Nurmagomedov would be bothered I dont know) would be just a bank balance padding excercise for both fighters and Dana White. I just cant see Mcgregor firstly being motivated enough to go again, and even if he were - I think Nurmagomedov wins 10 times out of 10. McGregors main asset is his punching power, which dominated a weight class, but when he steps up a division, his power doest translate.

Lastly, anyone else ever wonder if Dana White gets business tips from Vince McMahon? Because the selling of the whole feud seems more like something out of the WWE playbook.

10. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

In the aftermath, it seems Conor wasn't so innocent after all.
    Khabibs brother attempts to climb out of the cage and McGregor swings a punch at him.

11. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Him for definite

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They're almost complete opposites in fairness, Suarez genuinely comes across as a very humble guy off the field but loses the run of himself in the heat of a game whereas mcgregor seems to be out of control outside of the ring but in total control of his emotions during a fight!

13. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

Top post lad

14. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Joe Brolly had some very strong words about the ufc in the indo over the weekend

15. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It was reminiscent of the type of stuff that was said by critics of mma 20 years ago. Words like barbaric, savagrey etc thrown about by someone who doesn't know or like the sport. He picked one of the lowest points in the UFCs history and one of the worst poster boys (McGregor) to use as an example.

"Two women tried to kill each other. The Karate Hottie (real name Michelle Waterson), who has done naked photo shoots..."
    Sensationalist and irrelevant to say the least. Her photo shoots were for ESPN not Readers Wives... not that it makes a difference or has any relevance to MMA.

And of course his biggest faux pas, is referring to the UFC like it's a sport. It's a promotion.
    "Ban the UFC" is meaningless. Schoolboy error from
    Referring to Tarantino and DiCaprio and then telling an anecdote that makes himself out to be some hotshot lawyer in a Hollywood movie.

And of course his biggest faux pas, is referring to the UFC like it's a sport. It's a promotion.
    "Ban the UFC" is meaningless. Schoolboy error from a barrister..his argument wouldn't hold up well in court.
    Strong words indeed but not intelligent or well researched.

#1335 vodkacolly, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Coach Kavanagh called him out on it too and invited him down to SBG.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

He made some good points.Lets be honest,it can be savage and barbaric but the reference to mandingo and dog fighting misses a very important point,it's voluntary.Mandingos were slaves and dogs have no say in what they're bred for. It's no different to boxing in that it uses poor behaviour of its participants as a promotion tool and from the outside looking in it seems less corrupt and more competitive than boxing and that can be savage and barbaric too.

He also seemed to be very interested in the race of those involved for some reason and he definitely shoehorned the line with the N word in it for shock value rather than it being important to make his point.I had no issue with the story about him in court because it illustrated a point he was making well.

18. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Bit OTT to use a murderer hopping the stand as a comparison to Khabib jumping out of the cage but as I said, his piece was a bit sensationalist.
    There are sticks to beat MMA with, but Joe Brolly doesn't mention or probably know them.

I wonder will Joe allow his son to continue watching the sport.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think it was to prove the point of the effect words have on people,Khabibs anger about the things McGregor said to him obviously played a huge part in what happened after the fight. I'm not backing Khabib here by the way but I think it was a good point well made but Joe Brolly wouldn't be much of a media personality without the sensationalism.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

While I'm here,I asked a question in the Boxing thread and never got an answer. If I back a 4th round win for a fighter and his opponent finishes the third round but doesn't come out for the 4th,do I get paid by the bookies?