This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General UFC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by homer1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

10 years ago Jackson v Ortiz would've been immense but not now. At least the Rampage v Roy Jones Jr fight isnt going ahead. That really would've been silly.

Tonight, the Korean Zombie comes back from a long lay off to take on one of the best pound for pound fighters on the planet, Jose Aldo. Aldos leg kicks will probably slow the Zombie down and I can't see anything other than a win for the champion.
    Its one of the least exciting cards of the year so I wont be watching it live.

[YOUTUBE]Fq7aDVmEZls[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]To2p_o67sQ4[/YOUTUBE]

2. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Any one watch UFC 163? Bit disappointed for the Korean Zombie when his Shoulder popped out, and he couldn't continue against Aldo.

Phil Davis v Machida i didn't really enjoy been honest. I just couldn't get into it.

Cezar Ferreira’s guillotine to beat Thiago Santos was a excellent Submission.

But the fight of the night for me was Thales Leites beating Tom Watson. Watson never gave up and he took some serious shots in the first round. Some serious amount of blood lost in that fight.

Anthony Perosh emptied Vinny Magalhaes in 14 seconds, which was some knockout. Vinny just walked on to the Punch.

3. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Disappointing night alright, especially the title fight.
    Aldo broke his foot in the first round so wasnt able to throw his trademark kicks. The Zombie didnt fight his usual style for some reason, and if he did, I think he couldve beaten the injured Aldo.
    Horrible injury for Zombie and Aldo is now in hospital with kidney stones due to cutting weight. I expect him to move up a weight class fairly soon.

Magalhaes will be cut from the UFC and retire after that performance I reckon.
    Next weekends card is stacked... I cant wait for it.

Attached Files:

4. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Nearly time for Our Man conor mcgregor. Can not wait for tomorrow night. I really hope he beats Holloway. Loved this Quote from him at the press conference. "There are two things I really like to do: whoop ass and look good. I am doing one of them right now and Saturday night, I will do the other.”

5. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Every fight on the main card has the potential to be a cracker. Then on the prelims, there is McGregor v Holloway, and also Pickett v McDonald should be good.

Shogun used to be the greatest LHW ever (until Jon Jones came along) but he's well past his prime, as is Sonnen, so the main event, typically, might not live up to expectations

[YOUTUBE]0D3D6pC24BQ[/YOUTUBE]

Best of luck to McGregor tonight. Holloway has fought top opponents so has much more experience.

[YOUTUBE]PQ2vUZo6W8w[/YOUTUBE]

6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Vodkacolly do you think Mc Gregor will Win? And also whats your thoughts on when Cathal Pendred ? will make the step up to the UFC And if so when ?

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

What time is McGregor's fight due to start?
    He's a gas man,I normally don't like cocky people but for some reason he's likeable.

8. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Im sure if I say McGregor will win... he wont. Which is why I dont bet on sports... I swear I'm a jinx. :)
    I would say he's more talented than Holloway, but less experienced against top level fighters.
    They are both strikers which should make for an entertaining fight... and I believe the UFC let Max step into this fight, expecting him to lose, and therefore helping Conor rise more quickly through the division.
    If Conor wins in style tonight, he could get a top opponent in his next fight.

As for Pendred, he should have been offered a UFC contract already. I think he's trying out for the reality tv show Ultimate Fighter which is seen as a fast track into the UFC. I would expect to see him get a contract before the year is out.

9. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Taken from BT Sport website:

UFC Fight Night: Full Fight Card

Main Card (Live on BT Sport 2 from 1am)

Light-heavyweight main event (5 x five-minute rounds)
    Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Chael Sonnen

Heavyweight bout
    Alistair Overeem vs Travis Browne

Bantamweight bout
    Urijah Faber vs Iuri Alcantara

Welterweight bout
    Matt Brown vs Mike Pyle

Middleweight bout
    Uriah Hall vs John Howard

Lightweight bout
    Joe Lauzon vs Michael Johnson

Preliminary Card (Live on BT Sport 2 from 11pm)

Bantamweight bout
    Brad Pickett (ENG) vs Michael McDonald

Featherweight bout
    Conor McGregor (IRL) vs Max Holloway

Featherweight bout
    Mike Brown vs Steven Siler

Featherweight bout
    Diego Brandao vs Daniel Pineda

Facebook Prelims (Live on the UFC's Facebook and YouTube pages from 9pm)

Featherweight bout
    Manny Gamburyan vs Cole Miller

Light-heavyweight bout
    Cody Donovan vs Ovince St-Preux

Lightweight bout
    Ramsey Nijem vs James Vick

10. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

That's only cause he's Irish. Experience counts for a lot in the UFC and he's almost none. It will be tough for him tonight there are no bums in the UFC and one mistake and your out cold.

11. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

12. eyeball

eyeball
    Expand Collapse

any links for ufc lads ?

13. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Smooth as you like domination by Conor. Would have loved to see him Knock him out and thought he would have after the first round. By Good all performance by him. He just said his Knee popped out in the second round which is why he had to go for the take downs.

#93 Ron1892, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  14. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

15. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Conor McGregor has torn his ACL and is out for upwards of 10months.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...fc-featherweight-conor-mcgregor-for-10-months

For now, all the talk was for naught for Conor McGregor, as will be his hope to fight on the UFC's Manchester card in October.

McGregor suffered a tear to his anterior cruciate ligament, a strain to his medial collateral ligament and a meniscal tear of his posterior horn, according to UFC President Dana White, who late Thursday delivered the news to "FOX Sports Live." McGregor, White said, is expected to be on the shelf for upwards of 10 months.

McGregor (14-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) suffered the injuries this past Saturday in his dominant win over Max Holloway at UFC Fight Night 26 at TD Garden in Boston.

After the fight, McGregor lamented his performance, saying he had hoped to finish Holloway, but that he felt his knee pop in the second round, and that forced him into a takedown-heavy attack, working ground-and-pound from on top rather than staying on his feet.

At the post-event news conference, White said he planned to have McGregor see the UFC's doctor. That visit took place on Thursday, and the news was not good.

In the past 24 hours, McGregor, from Ireland, began making waves in a video shoot with FOX Sports in which he was asked to play word association with some of the UFC's top featherweights – ultimately fighters that may be standing across the octagon from him. He called former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar and former title challenger Chad Mendes "bantamweights," said current champ Jose Aldo just "plays it safe," said Dustin Poirier is a "peahead" and said he didn't know who Erik Koch was. Then he took to Twitter to insult former lightweight challenger Diego Sanchez.

And though none of the insults were true challenges, McGregor certainly was letting it be known he has no problem talking the talk.

On MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) on Thursday, McGregor said he figured he'd only need three or four weeks to heal – and that he hoped he'd be ready to go by Oct. 26 when the UFC touches down in Manchester, England – not far from his native Ireland.

"If I can't do something with my knee, I'll find something else to do," he said. "I will adapt to it; I will still work. If (I was out) about three or four weeks out, that would be five or six weeks, which is plenty of time. So I'm holding out hope that I'll be on that Manchester card."

But with the doctor's Thursday findings, and White's announcement, that hope is gone. The 10-month prognosis would have the 25-year-old out until early next summer.

McGregor took the UFC by storm in April when he made his debut with a 67-second TKO of Marcus Brimage in Sweden. He picked up a "Knockout of the Night" bonus for his effort, then quickly started campaigning for a spot on the UFC Fight Night 26 card in Boston – which has a heavy Irish population.

On Saturday's card, despite being on the prelims against Holloway, McGregor's full walkout was aired on FOX Sports 1 – and he got the lights-out treatment, which essentially never happens for a fighter not on the main card.

Prior to signing with the UFC earlier this year, McGregor had an eight-fight win streak that included winning Cage Warriors' featherweight title in June 2012, then its lightweight title on New Year's Eve – both in Dublin. But he never got a chance to defend either belt after he signed with the UFC.

His win over Holloway on Saturday was the first time he had been to the third round in his career. Prior to that, all 13 of his wins had come by stoppage with 12 knockouts or TKOs and one submission.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 26, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Had a feeling he'd done his cruciate alright.
    Long time out,it'll be a big test to see if he can handle it and get back to his best.

17. Stevieb3186

Stevieb3186
    Expand Collapse

unreal that he won that fight on 1 leg last saturday!

18. Shay

Shay
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

No way, dissappointed for him as he was on the crest of a meteoric rise to fame and fortune. Hope this bad luck doesnt stop him, we need more characters like him in this country

19. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Shame for him as he was Hoping to be on the Manchester Card in October. Come back will hopefully coincide with UFC in Ireland again Next year.

20. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

He's been calling people out on Twitter.

One good kick to his knee and it'll go again, other fighters will target it as his weakness now.

He's a long long road ahead of him. Hope he recovers well.