This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General (non LFC chat) Football Chat.

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

You had to be a pilot to get in?, fcuk thats some ballot to be in :)

flies likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

For a player who had given his whole life to Barca the whole Messi situation is hard to take. I understand the contractual obligations stand in Barcas favour but the season that's in it and the extension into June surely should have been considered. I feel like the club will eventually end up settling on a transfer fee of some sort but will have lost the last shred of credibility they might have had with some people.

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

In fairness he had months to iron out any problems with the clause seeing as the season was going to run way beyond may, should've really had it sorted before Barca returned to action.

4. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

While I understand that Messi has given so much to Barca, people shouldn't forget that if he hadn't have gone there as a kid and gotten all the medical treatments we probably wouldn't have gotten the Messi we did.
    I personally don't like the club because in their transfer dealings it seems to me that they don't meet the more than a club philosophy they spout and along with the galacticos model at Madrid are a bit sickening but I don't think they are the villain they're being portrayed as in this situation.

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Nothing was stopping him activating the release in June and finishing out the season. Instead he is throwing the toys out of the pram because they got hockeyed. It's embarrassing and made worse by the fact he contributed to it like a spoilt 14 year old waiting for the ball to be handed to him.

6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Didn't know that.

7. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Would love to see him at Juve.

8. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't it be more interesting if he was at Inter?

9. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Two of the greatest to ever play the game, on the same team would float my boat.
    Past their peak? Sure, but still playing elite level.

10. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

11. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

12. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

See Gary Neville is off his meds again.
    His prediction for the coming season

1. City
    2. Utd
    3. Liverpool
    4. Chelsea

Must have been some oil change on that Utd bus if they are going to close a 33pt gap because Donny Beeker signed for them

Beano87 likes this.
  13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'd be very surprised if they finished ahead of us but with how they've performed since they signed Fernandes (I think I read they topped the league in that period) there's reason for a Utd fan to believe they could challenge this season.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Yeah
    Yeah top by 2 points, city 2nd and Liverpool 3rd.

15. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I've always said it was a load of bollocks when people said he was actually fair and unbiased, this is clear evidence. Anybody who thinks Utd will finish ahead of Liverpool with De Gea, Lindelof and Shaw starting the season in their back 5 is clearly not looking at the whole thing rationally.

16. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

To be honest, I dont mind him as a pundit...as long as Utd arent involved in any way with the conversation.
    If they are its like some little voice in his head tells him Fergie and Roy Keane are standing behind him slapping nightsticks in their palms and he immediately rolls out the aforementioned bollocks

17. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Now Robbie Savage is at it. Although he has put us as Champions he has Utd 2nd, Chelsea 3rd and City 4th

18. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

SATURDAY

Fulham V Arsenal 12:30 BT SPORT
    Crystal Palace V Southampton 15:00 BT SPORT
    Liverpool V Leeds 17:30 SKY SPORTS
    West Ham V Newcastle 20:00 SKY SPORTS

SUNDAY

West Brom V Leicester 14:00 SKY SPORTS
    Spurs V Everton 16:30 SKY SPORTS

MONDAY

Sheff Utd V Wolves 18:00 SKY SPORTS
    Brighton V Chelsea 20:00 SKY SPORTS

Every game on BT or Sky

mushypea likes this.
  19. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says it is "absolutely critical" that fans are allowed back inside stadiums as soon as possible.

He says failure to do so will cost clubs £700m during the 2020-21 season, which starts on Saturday.

Football has been played behind closed doors since its return in June following the coronavirus lockdown.

As it stands, no fans will be admitted to top-flight matches before October at the earliest.

But Masters told BBC Sport that matches behind closed doors "can't go on forever", as clubs have already lost more than half a billion pounds from the disruption to the final quarter of last season.

"We have to get back to fans inside stadia as quickly as possible - that's the big thing that's missing, economic or otherwise - we need fans back inside stadiums for all sorts of reasons and it's the number one priority," he said.

Masters also revealed he was still hopeful some fans could return to grounds next month, despite the rising number of cases of coronavirus in the UK and the government's new restriction on gatherings of more than six people, which comes into effect on Monday.

He admitted clubs "would have to adapt" because "there will be bumps in the road".

"It doesn't lower our ambitions - it just means that we'll have to adapt - it's one thing we've shown over recent months, we're able to adapt to the situation," Masters said.

"We wait to see what impact it has on the government's testing programme, and permissions it's going to give, and also on that crucial 1 October date. We wait to see what the government decides and we'll remain in dialogue with them throughout.

"We always knew September was going to be a difficult month at the start of the return to normality the government was talking about, and so we should anticipate bumps in the road."

Premier League's key targets

Masters said the Premier League has three main objectives - the "big challenge" of ensuring 380 matches finish on time this season, getting fans back into full stadia, and returning the Premier League economy to full health.

Premier League revenue was down £700m in the final quarter of last season.

"It's not just the loss of matchday revenue," he said. "Every Premier League match on average generates about £20m for the economy both local and national so we want to play our part in helping the economy to recover as well.

"I think perhaps there is a perception the Premier League economy can withstand just about anything, but if you do lose £700m out of a planned budget it's going to affect things and clubs have had to make some very difficult decisions.

"That is why it is important we focus on those three key objectives and obviously everyone hopes that from next season we can return to full normality, but it's a huge challenge going forward.

"Financial issues are very real, they're there, economic uncertainty is in front of us, and we just have to have a clear plan and stick to it."

20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

This feels like an outlier in terms of the number of games played on the first Saturday of a new season? Has to be the fewest in the PL era at least