This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Daz, Apr 24, 2012.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Just on The Wire, season 5 was poor compared to the rest. A bit like they had ran out of ideas and came up with a mad one that would not have been out of place in Game of Thrones.

2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

It's not what the characters are doing I have an issue with, it's the abruptness of it all. Characters shouldn't do a 180 that completely goes against 7 seasons of character building. Also the flip flopping on how powerful/weak everything and everyone is, is annoying.

That game sounds like great fun. Who have you both got now for the last episode?

babbsnads likes this.
  3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Goerge RR Martin was the genius behind the whole show, he spent the guts of 25 years bringing the books to where they are now and was incredibly adept at progressing vastly different stories with multitudes of different characters who he built with great depth and spent each season building on previous traits with subtle and obvious links to other stories and worlds. That is has taken him some 8 years since the release the next chapter of the book definitely suggests to me that even he is struggling to move the story forward without betraying what has previously gone. Seamlessly merging all of the stories that are almost entirely separate thus far into a final book or two was going to take the most delicate nous of all and that the TV Shows writers have made a bit of a blunt stab at it should not be a massive surprise.

I don't think it's been as bad as it's been made out to be and I have still enjoyed the final series but what lingers badly for me is how good it could have been but HBO obviously weren't interested in waiting for GRRM to get on with finishing the books before they could cash in on the final few seasons.

babbsnads likes this.
  4. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Without having a baldy whats - to quote another thread title - "grinding peoples gears" I wonder if HBO thought ploughing through the first few books and seeing his epic played out on the screen would prompt GRRM into finishing Winds of Winter so the HBO writers could work the storylines towards where the author saw them going.
    Only (one of) problem with that is that GRRM has said on numerous occasions that he is struggling to tie all the storylines off in neat bows in the final novel. He's been at it for 8 years now!
    Added to that, the "final novel" isnt the final novel, Martin has said theres 2 more, which (at the moment) are supposedly to take place north of the wall, and you can bet that HBO are eager not to bump off characters in their writing that may have central plots in the 2 final novels to come. Martin has said that those books will be BIG - as in 1500 pages apiece. After the phenomenal success of GoT, HBO must be looking at the possibilty of another 3000 pages of books to turn into another 3/4/5 seasons of one of the most popular shows ever to air.

If HBO are trying (and thats the opinion I'm getting from previous posts) to tie up everything that has proceeded the 6th book/series in 6 episodes, its bound to feel forced.

Read somewhere yesterday that HBO actually asked GRRM if he'd allow a ghost writer to finish Winds of Winter - I'd imagine his reply was short and to the point.

babbsnads likes this.
  5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Each to their own I suppose but there's no character behaviour that doesn't tally up with their storyline that I can think of. Power and the quest for it does change peoples behaviour as they get closer to it or feel it slipping away from them(as does traumatic experiences),it will see long held principles compromised and with so many characters and storylines it was never going to tie up neatly for everybody. Maybe its paying the price for having too much going on and it could never satisfy everybody with how it ends and I understand the criticism that having to have it end in this season means situations are being rushed but I honestly dont get the criticism of how characters are behaving.

I'm not sure who's still alive that I predicted to die,the missus is doing the totting up but I think most of our predictions from here are similar so shes in trouble.

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

One thing I have noted is that in the later seasons is that it’s not as dark as first few seasons. There are some surprising and shocking moments for sure however now a lot of it looks more CGI Disney/Pixar movie in the big scenes.

Basically a bit like Fast and Furious starting off with lads racing cars with girls to in the final movies nuclear power stations and submarines becoming involved and it looking more like a cartoon. :D:D:D

7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Having read the books and watched the show from the beginning I'd agree, there is no character that it wasn't hinted at or foreshadowed that what has happened would happen. Other than it having been too rushed, the show also flagged the direction Danaerys was going. Granted it was the same episode but she spelt out to Jon after she kissed him and it was clear it was over between them - they love you, they don't love me. If I want to rule, I will have to rule by fear. I liked the whole "brutality of war" view on it and the fact that there are no real good guys from the common man/woman's point of view when they are just collateral damage. I suppose the biggest "surprise" for me was Arya killing the night king with such ease. I actually watched the episode the other night and a grin was breaking across my face at the thought of the utter seethe that it would bring out in a lot of the fanbase. And that is not schaudenfreude, I watched the first episode the night it aired (cos I had read the books and convinced the wife that this was going to be great if they got it right) but you got to let the story take you where it goes and not where you want it to go. There are flaws with this season that are caused by two things, the pacing is all off and the expectancy of one of the biggest tv audiences in history could never be met.

And I heard it is not the case that Martin can't finish the books, he did a deal with the show not to release them until the show was finished. I'd say the next book is ready to roll once the show ends.

#187 Liverpool-law, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Stevie S and babbsnads like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

This

9. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

He does have a book that'll be hitting the stands very soon mate, but its not Winds of Winter. Its book 1 of Blood and Fire, which is supposedly a history of the GoT world some 5000 years beforehand. He's said he'll concentrate on Winds of Winter then. He's also said that the Blood and Fire books will be more stand alones (HBO also looking to option 4 other short stories from the GoT universe)

Funny sidenote, if Liverpool-Law like me youve gnashed your teeth more than once every time the release date for Winds of Winter got shoved back another year (or 2 or 3) - some miffed fan commented to GRRM that he was worried Martin would croak before the books were published - not the first time someone has said this to him, and he usually replies with a middle finger salute - on some form of fansite live chat, and before GRRM could reply, Neil Gaiman jumped in and told the fan - "George is not your bitch"

Liverpool-law likes this.
  10. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

What s teaming pile of garbage that was!

Fran74 likes this.
  11. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Totally tongue in cheek.....obviously

Final scene in GoT.....

Daenerys Targaryen awakens.......
    hears running water as she slides from bed....
    slowly pulls back the curtain....
    Kyle Reese is singing in the shower......
    Arnie blows the bedroom door off the hinges....
    "Sarah Connor...I told you I'd be back"

Sarah mutters to herself.....fcukin shower scene.....least we're not all dead like in Lost

12. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

-Why didn't Drogon kill Jon? He launched a tantrum against a chair instead of killing his mother's murderer who was standing right in front of him.

-Why is there still a Night's Watch at all? The White Walkers have been exterminated and the Wildlings and the North are at peace, so what exactly are they guarding the realm againt?

-If the Night's Watch is still standing, why is Sam allowed to quit the organization to become Grand Maester of King's Landing?

-So the Night's Watch is still a thing. Why does Bran the Broken have the authority to sentence criminals to an institution that's part of a different kingdom he has no rule over?

-Why do the Six Kingdoms accept as a king a man from a separate kingdom that has no connection to the South?

-How is King's Landing still standing? It was methodically burnt to a crisp from top to bottom and the Wildfire caches went off. How is any section of the city not completely uninhabitable?

-How is The Red Keep still standing? Rooms such as the Small Council chamber and the King's Guard headquarters were shown to be intact and the White Book had not a single scratch on it when Brienne was filling in Jaime's page.

-Why on Planetos is Bronn Master of Coin? What qualifications could he possibly have that would make giving him such a powerful position to a simple sellsword?

-Is Bran planning to rule or is he just going to peace off and let the Small Council plan stuff without him in every future session?

-Why are the Unsullied heading to Naath? Do they want to die a horrible death by poison butterfly?

-What are the Dothraki up to? Their Khaleesi was murdered so are they sacking cities left and right in revenge? Did they peace off back to Essos? Did they remember they all died during The Last Night and disappear?

-How exactly is Arya leading a voyage west of Westeros? She's never shown to have any practical experience sailing in the slightest. She traveled by boat once to Braavos and presumably sailed back to Westeros but that was as a passenger and there's no indication she has any practical knowledge that would allow her to make such an intrepid journey.

-Where are Jon and the wildlings going beyond The Wall? It was the final shot of the series so I have to assume it's somewhere important but the show didn't bother explaining.

- Why do Brienne, Yohn Royce, and Sam get a vote on who is king ? Brienne is the daughter of the lord of Tarth, hardly a significant lordship, Sam is apparently a maester, and Robin Arryn is there to vote for himself.

- Why did the Iron Islands forget they were promised independence ?

- Who freed Edmure and how is he now in power again ? Last we heard he was back in his cell (season 6 finale line by Walder Frey).

- How did Gendry press his claim ? He has no army. Dany is dead. Did he walk up to Storm's End and say "hey the dragon queen made me a lord, I'm Bobby B's son, give me the castle" ?

- Who the fuck are the Unsullied to make demands ? And who cares ? They're about to fuck off to Naath anyway.

- Did the writers forget they already gave Sam an ending ? Gilly is pregnant and is going to name the child Jon. But now Sam is suddenly Grand Maester (without even completing his training !). So what's going to happen to Gilly ? Is Sam finally swearing off women after all and abandoning his son to be a bastard ?

- Is Tyrion lord of the Westerlands ?

- Why the fuck is Bran trying to find Drogon ?

- Why is Brienne in Bran's kingsguard rather than Sansa's queensguard ?

- Did Davos forget about his wife who was mentioned in Seasons 2 and 3 ?

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Well I enjoyed Season 8 myself more than the previous season.

The hardest adjustment for the writers was move from 6/7 interlinked stories during precious seasons into one main story for that final one. They definitely could have done a better job on the final season, it felt a bit rushed with only a handful of main characters but I enjoyed it.

Would be interesting to see how The Sopranos final season would have fared into today’s social media saturation environment.

Liverpool-law and Stevie S like this.
  14. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I can see and understand why people dislike how the show wrapped up. There's plenty to question and some missed opportunities but personally I really liked how it went in the end. Last nights episode was fantastic but as always, each to their own.

On the whole it's harsh to judge a complete series on how it ends all be it being obviously the crucial part of any series. I dont think I'll ever enjoy a TV series as much as GoT. Television at it's very best.

Liverpool-law and GaryMc like this.
  15. Diggy75

Diggy75
    Expand Collapse

Enjoyed season 8 on the whole, could possibly have added 2 more episodes to build up to other events and focus on the dialogue leading to support some events. Say 1 more episode after The last night to further drive tensions between Sansa and Dany and give Dany more reason to feel isolated and go mad. Plus last episode could have been 2, one to build up and finish on Jon killing Dany and final one to pick up aftermath and some scheming round the new king.

But rarely has a TV show captured so many and lead to so much debate. You could rewatch episodes and really start to link past and future events.

Some of drivel and hysteria over the final season is way OTT. All sorts of experts mad to find holes and give their “expert” take on things. Seen one poster on boards.ie tell anyone who’d listen that he wasn’t even going to watch the final episode

Liverpool-law and GaryMc like this.
  16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Thought that was a very good last episode. Really enjoyed it. elvis, everyone is different and I appreciate you are really annoyed judging by all of those questions. I would say most of them don't matter in any way at all to the overall story. Personally it grates on me when people want every single last item explained in detail. In a story where a whole world was created, to want answers to everything is like wanting to know the meaning of life (in my opinion we live, we die, that's it by the way but other people would think differently and that's fine with me). Getting down to what buildings in an entire city of over a million people survived a fire and which ones didn't and why would would be as exciting as reading the phonebook for me. But to deal with some of those questions (tongue in cheek because it really doesn't matter) Bronn is lord of highgarden, they have always been behind the finances. If you knew there was a living dragon out there wouldn't you want to find it? Jon is a Targaryen, dragons really dig Targaryens. Sam can get a pardon the same way Jon can be sentenced by a king. The wall is the border of the north and, mmm, north-north so Bran can rule over that. Arya killed Walder Frey and set Edmure free. She wouldn't kill Walder Frey and stroll off leaving her uncle in a cell. Davos brought his wife to King's Landing and she was shopping in that scene as she's not allowed in the room with the king;'s council. So many of these things don't matter. I appreciate they bother you though.

babbsnads likes this.
  17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I quite liked the last episode and the series overall was fine, if I had one problem with it I think it lacked more raw emotion, I've been a fan of this whole thing since before the TV show existed so I was unexpectedly unmoved by the whole ending.

There's absolutely certainly a huge nod towards spin offs in that wrap up which possibly bothers me a bit too, everything was left open so they could head off wherever they wanted with every story!

18. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

No complaints loved it ;)

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Great show.