This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2019

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dk.lfc, Jan 25, 2019.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

But thats my point, if funding helps get/keep elite coaches then this is a good thing. Philly McMahon, Dean Rock and James McCarthy have to be worth their weight in gold to a community like that.

2. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Val & Paddy and many coaches like them aren't paid. They do it because they love the sport and the impact they can have on peoples lives. Its not all about winning but making better people.

sligo fan likes this.
  3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You'll get next to no likes on here for this,but it's spot on. Nuance goes out the window when anything about Dublin GAA is discussed.

4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

The opinion that Dublin hurling has progressed further than football is both wrong and far from spot on lads. I'm no expert on the small ball myself but I could say confidently that their progress just can't be deemed greater than that of its Footballers. To go from no all Ireland final appearance in 16 years to winning it 6 of the 9 years to date in this decade is something that just cant be comparable. I could go into the whole 1 game from immortality stuff but even if they'd have tanked this year that still shows progress like no other.

There's no question Dublin hurling has made giant strides btw but that point is just plain wrong.

5. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

I go to nearly every Dublin football and hurling match. I honestly don’t know how anyone can say that.
    Nearly got relegated out of Leinster last year.
    Laois absolutely upended us this year.
    1 decent result in the last 5/6 years against Galway this year. ( championship)

6. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

The hurlers have not come close to football in terms of improvement what planet are people on.

There's a few on here who will vouch for me on this I'm a hurling man before all else and would rank beating Galway in 2013 as my 2nd favourite moment supporting Dublin after the obvious.

Dublin were about 11-12th best team in the country pre Daly behind the obvious and on a par with Laois Offaly and wexford as I write this we are the 8th best team in the country. Where as the football are the greatest team who ever played the game and in the pee Daly ear hadn't been to a final for a decade and a half. Outragous statement altogether.

I'm not discussing or disputing the finances in happy to that but to clear that notion up mad talk.

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

the money men will struggle to come up with an explanation for that. Wonder how the Ballymun hurlers are doing, are any of them on the county panel?

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Isn't the point of all the funding that the GAA are putting into Dublin from a central fund that they don't need sponsorship funding to get facilities etc.? Ballymun are actually on the brink of getting a fantastic new facility somehwere up near Ikea and I have to say it's wonderful news for the whole area, they're playing out at the back of the airport at the moment still as far as I know. Anything that can help an area to find some sense of community and sense of worth is a big help. The likes of Philly McMahon have been fantastic role models to come out of Kickhams and I don't think there's anybody, even the ones with the biggest issues with the unfair funding that Dublin have received, would take issue with the work that the GAA can achieve in disadvantaged communities.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

10. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

So the comparison with Man City is wide of the mark?

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The whole comparison with a premier league team was wrong to start with Bobby, I just made it slightly more accurate by removing Liverpool who are clearly not the richest team in Europe and replaced them with City/PSG which is a more apt comparison with Dublin in terms of the financial resources available to both, both are just varying degrees of how totally wrong the comparison is.

bobby benitez likes this.
  12. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Kickhams don't have a hurling team, the hurling in Ballymun is in Setanta, a great club who do collosal work on a shoe string. use council pitches. Have their own club house and training pitch on the Ballymun road. They have had players on the panel down the years but and currently have Fiontáin McGibb who is well fancied by Matty Kenny. Fast midfielder or half forward. Sean O Rian left the panel recently also and went travelling. About to be relegated from AHL 2 into intermediate hurling in Dublin mind.

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

using all that money they're getting off the GAA just for football, tut tut!

Shane_90 and Stevie S like this.
  14. Dfitzpatrick

Dfitzpatrick
    Expand Collapse

Dont think there will ever be a proper debate on funding, seems to be rare where all facts are brought in from either side of the argument especially when it comes to journalists spinning an agenda for either side, there was the big argument in here from a certain renowned "anti dub" journalist there then was one only days later in the irish examiner from a sports finance analyst who claimed Dublin are perhaps under funded in relation to some counties Roscommon i think could have been the example (may be wrong), so where is ths gap for either side coming from it seems a waste of time talking about it without all the facts and numbers correct.

15. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

16. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

TerraceTickets for Hurling Finals available on tickets.is earlier if anyone is looking for them. Sorry just checked not available anymore.

17. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I see that Meath ref got the final. I dont think its an issue myself.

18. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

Kerry were quick to mark his card for him he will be under a lot of scrutiny on any dodgy decisions go against them

19. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Coldrick was the alternative Meath man and he works in Dublin as well

20. Dfitzpatrick

Dfitzpatrick
    Expand Collapse

Let Tomas O'Sé ref it and play it in Killarney.