This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2019

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dk.lfc, Jan 25, 2019.

1. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

£6.50 likes this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Got the season ticket this year. Dubs in Clones this Sunday. Looking forward to it

3. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Be a double header for me this weekend.

Down the nell tomorrow evening to watch the small ball v Carlow.
    And trip to Clones v Monaghan on Sunday.
    Dubs without a fair few players. Actually think Monaghan will win or draw it.

mushypea likes this.
  4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

How is the rise in ticket prices going down? I don't attend GAA games so it's probably not relevant what I think,but going by what I've been reading,it doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

5. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Media haven’t shut up about it.

Don’t know any fans that are really to bothered about it. Could affect attendances in the football though. Some games are a real chore to watch and to pay an extra €5 for it might be a tipping point for some.

Stevie S and babbsnads like this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I wouldnt go out of my way to look for it in the media,but what I've been coming across is people responding to the anger about it with arguments as to why it's justified. I havent really seen the arguments against it although im sure theres plenty of credible ones.If you're already on the fence about going to a game then I suppose an extra fiver could be the difference.

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

€80 for a kid's ticket for the all Ireland final was always a p1ss take, €90 is even worse. Other than that I don't have a problem with the incresases. My ST is €130 and covers 8/9 games, can't argue with that.

xRedmanLFCx and babbsnads like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Do the GAA sell tickets specifically for kids for the All Ireland Final? Thats a genuine question by the way,I don't know.But labelling a ticket for kids and then selling it for 90 euro does seem a bit vulgar.

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

No kids tickets for the final, all tickets are €90 which is wrong in my opinion.

xRedmanLFCx and babbsnads like this.
  10. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Kids shouldn't be there if you were to listen to the gormless dick

diceyreilly likes this.
  11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I heard him on the radio,that was a stupid thing to say but I thought he made some good points too.

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I was 10 years old when I attended my first all Ireland final, amazing experience, but I bunked in, if I had asked my ma for €80 for a ticket or whatever the equivalent was back then she would've laughed at me.
    If a kid has an opportunity to attend the final money shouldn't be an issue.

click22 and Gerry like this.
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

A lot of the people complaining about the price increase don’t go to games. A few lads I saw on twitter from Monaghan only turn up for an Odd big game so it won’t affect them too much.

20 quid for a league game is a bit steep but if you buy early it’s 15 so it’s typical of the Attitude to football these days. Moan, Moan, Moan!!! 15 quid to see the top teams in the country is not bad value.

I do think some of the price rises for Championship are a bit rich though and it could affect attendances. The bean counters though will have done the sums and even if lower attendances They will probably make more money.

There is a real conflict of attitudes in the GAA. Old school folks would rather have no games on tv and players get nothing from the game (mainly because they nothing much from it) and others think it’s a well run organization that is safeguarding future of the game with smart business decisions and those who put in the effort get something back. It’s ten times better run than the FAI.

Stevie S, Colm75 and babbsnads like this.
  14. The Pernicious One

The Pernicious One
    Expand Collapse

The Pernicious One will be delighted at the outcome of this years Garlic Games competitions.

15. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

What does Alex think ??

robbie st leger, Niall and GaryMc like this.
  16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Nice one Gary, hope you get good mileage out of it. If the dubs don't win it I hope Monaghan do.

GaryMc likes this.
  17. Huggie

Huggie
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

All Ireland final replay was €10 For kids. Full price for finals.

Only €5 for every other championship game

18. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

The Fitzgibbon cup gives great free entry to watch hurling matches at a very high level. Most universities have inter county hurlers making up their team. A small attendance at it, which shows why the people who only turn up to big games and then complain about the prices doesn't matter.

There is a loyalty discount, but it should be increased further. If you go to a 3 or 4 league games, you should be guaranteed an All Ireland final ticket. The attendance at league games won't even fill a quarter of Croker Park. Why should those fans not be able to attend the biggest game of the year for their county?

Wexford v Limerick today, I'm looking forward to making the long trip down to the sunny south east!

19. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Fully agree with this, chances are if you're going to 3 or 4 league games you're going to most of the championship games also.
    The gaa already have the system in place to record loyalty, scrap the ST and the final tickets that are currently set aside for that should be given to the supporters who attend the most games.
    I struggle to make most away games (particularly Saturday evening games) so usually miss 2/3 games a season, if I lost out on a potential final ticket because of that I'd be disappointed but I couldn't really begrudge the supporters who missed no games or 1 game all season who did get the final tickets.

20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Apart from Mayo and Dublin, anyone can buy a season ticket for their county. If you go to four league games and most championship games are recorded on your card, you would qualify for an All Ireland ticket.

I went to at least 75% of Monaghan and Championship games last year. Came within minutes of getting to the final and I know would have been a nightmare for a ticket. Meant to get season ticket at start of year and didn’t bother.

Long shot on making near the final this year but at least won’t have to worry about a ticket if it does happen.

Probably be knocked of Ulster Championship in first round by Cavan and then beaten in qualifiers.:D

I don’t think GAA do enough to advertise the season ticket and probably one of the reasons is Mayo and Dublin is a closed shop for renewals only.