This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fsg

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by bobby benitez, May 16, 2012.

1. liamo3

liamo3
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I love these Echo reports where they focus in on the social media virgins who have nothing better to do than to moan about fucking anything but won't even show up at their own arranged protests and the disappointing aspect is that because we start to do well (We've won nothing yet) the owners get a free pass. Yes the higher management of the club have improved over the last number of years but in most cases they have had to be dragged to the table kicking and screaming to certain ways of thinking. And although they don't go looking for plaudits some of the working fan groups like SOS and Spion Kop1906 do behind the scenes is invaluable. Even appointing Tony Barrett in probably the most thankless job was such a positive.

But no matter what happens on the field it's no free pass from me or any of the lads I go the match with. The stadium needs to be expanded as it's as dire as ever to get tickets. The ticket pricing still needs looking at. The ST amnesty has to be dealt with sensibly and logically. The ticket terms and conditions the same. They day you let them off the hook will be a bad day for all match going fans. Yes give credit when it's due but sorry no free passes.

GaryMc, Colm75, Mico and 1 other person like this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I often wonder what type of a role SOS could have had within the club if they hadn't of taken such a confrontational posture with these owners from the off? Whatever about being dragged kicking and screaming,they don't have to come along at all. Perfect owners don't exist and nobody was ever under any illusion that they got involved for their love of the club,they're business men and periodic reminder,they haven't taken a penny out of the club.Whats good for them is generally good for the club and it's ability to compete and there's a thin line between holding them to account and overplaying your hand. Supporters groups and the club working together is what's best for everybody but there was always going to have to be compromise on both sides of the relationship and if there's better owners in top level football,I've not seen them.

bobby benitez likes this.
  3. liamo3

liamo3
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

You are right they don't have to come at all and originally they didnt and were adamant they would never engage they even invented their own fan forum as an alternative under their own umbrella so they wouldnt have to but underestimated the initative from SOS to get their members voted on. But when on the 77th minute when a third of that stadium walked out they soon changed their stance. And you are right in saying theres no perfect owners and most of the gripe I have is with that article which is more or less saying "Hey Liverpool have (not yet) won the league arnt these owners great". Give them an inch and they take a mile.

GaryMc and Gerry like this.
  4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Which brings me back to my original point mate,if an aggressive stance hadn't of been taken originally then maybe it never would have gotten to that stage where there needed to be a walkout? They were in the wrong and it made them sit up and take notice but they're very clever men who wont leave themselves a hostage to something like that again.A constant underlying threat of militancy is not a good thing for the relationship imo and if we do start putting some trophies in the cabinet,how successful do you think a walk out would be anyway? The days of boycotts having an effect are gone now because there's 100 people to take the ticket of anybody who goes down that route. Im not saying they want empty seats of those willing to buy tickets and not turn up but they can't allow their decisions to be dictated by something like that again.But 'You haven't won the league yet,so you're not great owner's' is far too simplistic imo and a bit of a contradiction.

If we do win the league this season everything that they contributed to that has already happened ,so theyre now a hostage to something they have no control over. If you think we should be a better team by this point,fair enough but then winning the league shouldn't make them great owners either,because they'll still have underperformed.And what if they lashed ticket prices up or loaded debt onto the club,and used that money to buy players that made the difference in them winning the league? That would make them worse owners in my eyes but they'll have delivered the title. It's like the time of the walkout,there were a lot of shouts of '77 pound to watch that shite' ,that was totally at odds with the stated aim of the protest because if its too expensive,it's too expensive whether you're watching Virgil Van Dijk or Paul Konchesky and to me they cant be great owners unless we win the league carries the same type of mixed messaging.

5. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

I seen that yesterday and it got me thinking about that lad with his Fenway we come not to pay page the complete crank. There's absolutely no trace of the group anywhere now, which is no suprise. These internet cranks take away from the good work that the likes of SOS do, I'm convinced a lot of the fan stuff, like hiring Tony Barrett etc, wouldn't have been done without the pressure SOS have put on.

GaryMc likes this.
  6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

You have to give credit to the owners in that the appointment of Moore and Barrett has brought the connection between the club hierarchy and fans to a better level although I think myself Mr Moore is quite selective in what he responds to on social media. He has gotten snipey once or twice with well known reds who has questioned him. Tony has a thankless job on his hands and definitely has made a difference.

Regardless of challenging for titles etc the issue of tickets is always going to be a gripe with them. Only for the fan groups you would be paying 100 Euro a pop for main stand tickets by now. Although the club have been quite clever in that many people are paying that and more directly to the club. They have rebadged seats that were going for 40 quid two seasons ago to 200+ where you get a bit of food and a few drinks. The cost of that seat has probably trebled but it’s gone under the radar. You only have to see folks from this site having to go that route to get to a match. From a business point a view it makes sense but From what I can see the increased capacity has actually seen less tickets go to Supporters who form the backbone of what the club market themselves on. It’s not just a problem for Liverpool, all top clubs face that dilemma of keeping the core support happy or exploiting all the potential revenue streams and getting more folks on matchday who will spend a fortune in club shop and on food drinks. Personally hate the hospitality angle but can see it becoming bigger and bigger and it coming to a head with SOS in next year or two.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

How many members do SOS currently have?

8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hey Babbs, while what you've said is true, we also need to remember that the club is now worth four - five times what FSG got it at. So, they've gained big time as owners, albeit not by "taking a penny out of the club" by way of fat monthly paychecks, or annual dividends.

Interesting question.

I would guess that membership is no where near what it was during the "troubles".

I'd also be particularly interested to see if there's many Irish members still in SOS.

9. sullycarr

sullycarr
    Expand Collapse