This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fixtures 19/20

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by GaryMc, Jun 11, 2019.

1. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

https://www.goal.com/en/news/fifa-p...-world-cup-in-2021/1vx6zqtewtx8n13vicd7ki7e8m

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has confirmed that FIFA has approved an expanded 24-team Club World Cup, which is set to begin in 2021.

I googled and read the article, however Uefa didn't agree. Not the first time that the big boys have done things that people haven't been happy with!

2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A 24 team club world cup is an insane idea. I may have suggested sometime back that Qatar 2022 will never happen.

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's too hard to fit into the current schedules with so many games already on but I would love the idea of an actual world cup type setup involving club teams. There's so many top club teams in Europe if the CL was done over a 4 week period at the end of a season the quality would be ridiculous. I'm speaking in pure hypothetical terms here obviously as it's never going to happen.

4. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

Surprisingly Sheffield Utd won't be in the first half of the season sale. From my memory, the 1st Jan has been sold in the summer sale before.

On a separate note, Southampton (h) is down for Sat 1st February. Do ye think that will be announced in the TV deal for December/January, or delayed until the February announcement?

I think TV announcement has been done for the first day of the following month before, i.e. 1st of month B has been announced in TV deal for month A.

5. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Southampton will be a february announcement

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  6. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

Unless it's on the Friday 31st January and it's in the January announcement? :p;)

7. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Never happened before that only one match would be chosen in isolation separated from the TV announcement for the rest of the weekend.

8. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

My second message was a joke, but the whole weekend has been brought forward into the earlier TV announcement before I think? It might happen again.

Edit: The reason I am asking is due to potential flight booking. October Vs December announcement is a big difference.

9. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Games where the Sunday is the 1st of a month are the only times I ever remember being brought forward. However I could be wrong.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  10. DARREN26

DARREN26
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone shed any light on Leicester at home, internationals following week I think it’s the biggest game in league that week would we be super Sunday or would sky bt etc use that for some of lesser teams that week cheers lads

11. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Impossible to guess with any certainty. No top six v top six matches among the fixtures. Two if not three games will have to be played on the Sunday (not necessarily television picks) because of the Europa League.

DARREN26 likes this.
  12. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So much for my suggestion on the day the fixtures came out was that there would not be any potential fixture swaps in the opening television announcement (involving not just Liverpool but all CL sides.) Really thought there might be a Saturday night match to avoid the need to have any match subject to movement.

Liverpool picked six out of seven matches is probably a bit more than I expected in this announcement.

13. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  14. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There definitely has to be some way of Sky swapping their television picks because there is no way that United v Arsenal on Monday September 30th is the 3rd or 4th choice pick that weekend.

The vagaries of the television picks. System is clear as mud to me.

15. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

While I mostly agree with you, they have also chosen Sheffield Utd v Liverpool and Everton v Man City on TV that weekend.

Keeping Monday night games free for Liverpool and Man City games could have been a factor, we have already been picked once in that package v Norwich on the Friday, and 5 is the max.

But, possibly:
    With the TV decision being made in July, it is possible they picked the Liverpool and Man City matches, the top 2 last season, as their first and second choices. Arsenal and Man Utd only came 5th and 6th, so maybe that game was their third pick on the Monday night.

That wouldn't have been my picks, but maybe it was theirs.

16. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That is a very subtle way of saying that Utd. v Arsenal is a mid table match. However there is no way that BT Sport would not have picked it if it was available to them IMO.

Liverpool the only team that BT Sport have picked twice so far this season.

Pfoley and Beanokelly like this.
  17. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Whats the thinking on the Man City game in Early Nov..? Looking to take one of the kid over and would like to get a jump on it if possible.

18. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

Leicester v Arsenal and Utd v Brighton are on Sunday and international break the following week so you would think it would be 5.30 sat or 4ish sun. just looking at the Derby, Utd v Spurs down for tues night but Utd play previous sun so a chance Derby could be tues/thurs ?!

Dub13 likes this.
  19. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be a very dull Super Sunday if both those matches were selected for television, so likely just one of them.

Good observation on the derby.

20. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

You could easily say the utd v spurs game will be thursday

KopHaney likes this.