This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fellow Reds Looking For a Job - Help Them Out, if you can please

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cianomahony, May 18, 2009.

1. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

Looking for a bit of help/advice I have been offered a clerical position in dept. of health and am in 2 minds as whether to take it or not. Money is about the same as I get now, only in current job about a year after 4 years unemployed, don't mind my current job as its only half hour from home new one is in city centre but gives me job security. Any advice appreciated. If it matters I'm 48 with a family.

2. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Unless it's going to be a considerable increase in travel costs the job security sounds good for the new role. A year in current job isn't an unreasonable amount of time to leave after. It's on the low side of ideal but doesn't look too bad on a cv at 12 months minimum in the position
    Best of luck anyway Sean

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Grab it mate - job for life if you want it, pension guaranteed by the State (while the rest of the nation has to fend for itself), plenty of opportunities to move from one Dept. to another over time so you'll have opportunities for career advancement, change of work etc.

Also, town's great for the odd pint on a Friday after work ;)

4. red2005

red2005
    Expand Collapse

Thanks lads. Going to take it.

Garrett and stevieg like this.
  5. stevieg

stevieg
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Best of luck with it!!

As Garrett said, a pension and potential opportunities to move across departments and into other roles all adds to it.

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Best of luck, hope it's the start of something really good mate.

I think you forgot the most important part of my original post there mate (see below) ;)

7. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Also tought i'd post in here for some advice:

I'm currently working in a franchise store on 19k per year, hours are okay (9.30am-6pm) however i have to work saturdays which i dislike as i manage a football team (2 from this season on) so sunday's arent really a day off either, on top of the 19k i get an average of 5,000 commission a year before tax.

Been pointed in the direction of a job from a member on here which would be approx 24k starting with commission as well dependant on performance etc with chances of progression etc.

As i am manager of my franchise store there's not really any further i can go so even if i could get a raise i'd imagine i'd still be looking at 20,21k max, and although my boss is very good and i like the job and staff it might be time for a change.

The new job would be 30/40 mins travel everyday whereas my job now is 5 mins max but at 29 should i be looking at moving to something that i can always advance in the company if i work hard enough? People might say this is a straightforward yes but just given how good my boss has been etc and i'd see myself as having loyalty i'm just wondering...

Any opinions appreciated

8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Money is very important mate, but you are right there is also an important value on the relationship you have with your superiors, communite time etc.

If you get on that well with your boss, I'd have a chat with him/ her and see what they think.

Any possibility of getting in on the franchise itself, or perhaps getting a second one and putting someone in to work for you and you earn a bit off the top etc ?

When push comes to shove, I reckon you are going to need to earn more money to pay for a place to live, a pension, perhaps help raise a family etc. etc.

babbsnads likes this.
  9. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, yeah 19k isn't a whole lot, it does like gets you by but not if you had any ambition to save towards something like a deposit for mortgage or anything like that.

With regards the franchise its an eir meteor store so its a huge one so would invole a hefty financial commitment i'd imagine which is something i wouldn't have , not that kind of money anyway, he already owns 2 stores and i don't think he'd have any interest opening a 3rd store. I do agree though i probably do need to be earning more money at this stage in my life especially if i am looking to get a home or start a family etc. Thanks @Garrett

Garrett likes this.
  10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I reckon it's worth having a chat with him, he might be tempted to go for another franchise if he thought you were going to commit and help run it etc. even if not another meteor store, there are plenty of other franchises, some might suit better than others etc. If not, it's also a signal to him that your thinking about your future .. with or without him, but preferably with him.

11. liver06

liver06
    Expand Collapse

Whats for you,won't pass you.Go for it,why not?could be the best thing you have ever done.I find people are very hit and miss to changing jobs,in a comfortable zone and dont feel the need the change.If it makes everyday life better,go for it.Best of luck

babbsnads likes this.
  12. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

You should not worry about your boss or loyalty he/she will survive im sure. Take your current employers feelings out of the equation he/she is in business they will understand. The only consideration here should be is a new job gonna make your life better.

Mico and babbsnads like this.
  13. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Not sure if you have the new job yet or not but first things first, in my opinion, go and get it. Then you have the cards to play.

Next talk to your boss, explain your situation and let him/her (see I'm not sexist) come back with any alternative. They may have no interest in your future or may come back with some tie-ing into the business proposal.

But get offered the other job and worst thing that can happen is that you say no thanks. It is important to focus on what career path you want as opposed what career your employers want you to have!

babbsnads likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If I'm reading it right mate,you'll probably be improving your salary by about 30%.Unless the new job is going to have a really negative impact on your happiness then go for it mate.Your loyalty to your boss is admirable but ask yourself how he got his 2 franchises.If he's as good a guy as you say he'll understand and wish you well.

STEVE1978 and Anfield Old Boys like this.
  15. Anfield Old Boys

Anfield Old Boys
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Your answering your own question here and you're right. Go for it and good luck.

babbsnads likes this.
  16. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

I'd say go for it man, surely at them wages your boss will understand why you would move. It's not easy making a jump I got a chance two years ago to jump into something completely new and it was nerve wracking doing it but I'm glad I did and haven't looked back. I'd agree that there's more to your job than just your take home pay but you need to consider the cushion you need if you decided to buy a gaff or whatever.

babbsnads likes this.
  17. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the replies lads, really appreciate it, having talked to my boss me and him are going to have a sit down monday to discuss a new contract, if it's not for me i'm going to go for the new job, i haven't got the new job , would have to go through the application process etc but really appreciate all the replies here.

18. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Well done mate. Speaking to the boss takes balls. Don't get fazed by the hassle of applications etc., just think that a prospective employer doesn't know yet that your the best employee they'll ever have!

djdwainec and babbsnads like this.
  19. stevieg

stevieg
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Dwaine seeing as your manager of the store, I'd at the very least be expecting €25/€26k before commission and thats at least. I'm assuming as manager you are directly managing staff also.

No harm going through the application process for the other job, good experience if anything. The fact that there is a chance for progression in the other job is something to consider as well.

Best of luck in your talks with the current boss.

If you left is there someone currently working there who could do as good a job as you? If not, you are in a stronger position if your boss has any sense.

In my own job, we have had lots of people leave lately as other places are paying alot better out there now.

Garrett likes this.
  20. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

@stevieg yes i manage one other staff we are a very small store, i shall see how the talks on Monday go anyway, thanks for all the replies lads, going to be an exciting few months ahead either way :)