This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

ELVIS-all things IT

Discussion in 'Computers/Gadgets' started by MrsPepe, Mar 31, 2011.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Hi Elvis, once more I'm coming to the font of IT knowledge. I'm down with the in laws and the father in law is having a nightmare with his laptop and looking for something cheap and cheerful to replace it with. He has a Dell Inspiron here and his preference is for a like for like replacement that will work a bit better. The one he has here is a huge bulky thing and he seems to like that with the big screen. Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated?

2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

It all depends on budget, and what the primary use of the laptop will be.

A decent new laptop that will do most things and will be a massive upgrade on what he currently has, is the HP 14s. It's under €300 usually. It'd be considered an entry level laptop, but should suffice if your FIL has been using the Inspiron all this time, he'll think this one is magic :)

I can recommend more if you had a budget or what he intends to use it for etc.

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I pressed him on what he uses it for and it's this:

1) booking tee times at the golf club
    2) checking emails from the golf club
    3) using word to prepare things for the golf club
    4) watching some golf highlights

He also told me his young fella (45 year old) watches some fighting stuff on it (he YouTube's UFC).

The most basic decent laptop will do I'm sure!

4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Not really IT but does anyone know what the story is with earphones/headphones these days, is it just cheap/crap production or what?
    I must have gone through about 5 pairs in the last year, sound eventually ends up only coming out of 1 side and then soon after nothing at all.
    Don't think it's my phone cos if I try the earphones in other devices they still don't work.
    It's the wired versions I'm on about, not the wireless ones.

5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Looking for some advice please. I’ve a PS5 and I want to run a Ethernet cable to it from the modem. Modem is too far away so I need some sort of TP plug or something I think.

Now I had a set of these before , I think they were the 500mb one. Tested them out with the PS5 today and I was getting worse speeds on them than WiFi. WIFI was getting 400mb on the PS5 and on a wired Ethernet through these TP plugs I was getting 50 mb.

Now they are a good few years old, and I think the cable I was using was also a Cat 5 cable so I know that needs to be updated .

Im wondering what would be the cheapest but most reliable way of improving the speeds to the PS5 as I’ve got my hands on a PS Portal and the Playstatioj needs to be hardwired for this .
    Cheers

6. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Most of them are just poorly made these days, everyone has switched to focusing on quality of the wireless versions. I can recommend Jabra Elite Sport, battery lasts ages, and they are waterproof (you can use them in the rain, sweating, swimming, shower, everywhere) and dust/sand proof (great for the beach).

7. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

You either want a Wifi repeater/extender or the copper wire pass through/powerline adapter (TP Link type plug).

I'd recommend the TP Link plug for the PS5, as it's a more solid connection. Your problem was definitely the cable. Cat5 cables are rated at a max of 100mbs.

You can try the ones you have just with Cat6 cables and see if there's an improvement. (or search the model numbers and it'll tell you what they are capable of).

I bought these when they first came out. I have the PS, Xbox and laptop docking station hooked up to them in the office and works a treat. It's a 2 pack, so you get 4 ports in total, and you can plug into them, so you aren't losing access to the socket, which is great.
    TP-Link TL-PA7027P KIT AV1000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit, Data Transfer Speed Up to 1000 Mbps, Ideal for HD/3D/4K Video Streaming and Online Gaming, No Configuration Required : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Getting Cat6 cable from the router to the plug, and from the plug to the PS5 is the most important aspect of the set up.

Ron1892 likes this.
  8. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I'd go with the HP 14s so. Should be available at all retailers in stores and online, so whichever has the best deal is where to go. It's the cheapest windows laptop on the market that's a similar feel to his trusty Dell Inspiron, only the HP will way outperform his Dell.

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Cheers Elvis, trying to avoid wireless to be honest with you, not a big fan of them.

10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I use Shokz open-ear bone conduction wireless headphones and they are great for running. Weird feeling at first as they are not in your ears but you can hear perfectly. Also helps with still being able to hear traffic around you. I find more and more devices don't have a headphone jack (my Samsung phone doesn't). I'd recommend the Shokz anyway for what it's worth.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I have a pretty decent pair of Bose quiet comfort wireless headphones but they can also be hardwired which is why I got them, I've replaced the cable twice and the sound is gone for the 3rd time.:mad:

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That's big money for a set of headphones! I've always been amazed at how these things stay in people's ears, I've always used the ones with the straps that go around the back of the ear but I do see loads of people with the in ear buds and they never seem to have problems with them. Are they wedged into the ear tight to hold them in place?

13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I found with the wired ones, if they are regularly squeezed, wrapped or bent too harshly (mainly when they are stored) the copper wire inside will stretch and eventually break but they will still look fine from the outside.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  14. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

They aren't wedged in, but they are nice snug fit. No chance of losing them unless you hit off something. I've ran the marathon with them, done all my training with them. Sprints with them, intense gym sessions on weights, box jumps etc, and not once did I feel like one would pop out. I also get them on sale each time. €130 is what I paid for them. I've had ones that look like airpods and they were awful, always falling out though, so maybe it's just the design of the jabra that worked well for me.

15. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Ah Bose! I had the same problem, with not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 pairs of Bose wireless headphones. Which has left me short on long haul flights with the cable conveniently deciding to stop working just beforehand. It's a well known issue in the Bose community, but not one that Bose themselves will acknowledge unfortunately. They are also, mad for the planned obsolescence. Leather starts to crumble just as your warranty expires, sound gets a bity tinny on the update after your warranty is gone etc.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

My Jabras were weird at first as they work a different way to normal buds. Sounds like the sound is coming from inside your head. It helps with spatial awareness. They've got active noise cancelling too which works quite well, and then have pass through, so when I'm running anywhere there might be cars, I'll tap them to pass through so I can hear traffic, then when I'm away from traffic I can switch back to noise cancelling. I've heard great things about the Shokz you have though.

Do they bounce or move at all while you're running?

Liverpool-law likes this.
  17. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

No movement at all no elvis and very light. If you took them off, the two headphones would stick together magnetically and they are joined by a lightweight horseshoe band that goes around the back of your head. You wouldn't feel them on tbh. I was afraid of getting buds for running for fear of them falling out, I can never seem to get ear buds to stay in my ears which is why I went for the shokz. They sit on the bone in front of your ears and even though they are not in your ears it sounds like they are, but you still have awareness of sound around you. I have a garmin 255 music running watch and it connects to that perfectly with no dropping off.

18. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Hi Eric/ All

I have an issue we changed our home office stuff. I used to have 2 monitors plugged into a little box called a 10 zig and my life was fine I could use the two monitors.

Now they gave us laptops and took away the little 10 zig box, now my life is not fine.

I bought a HDMI splitter with 2 ports plugged it into my laptop and both screens into the one port. But it is only recognising the monitors as one screen duplicating itself.

Can someone who knows assist. What do I need to do or buy to make it work like it used to and save me all of this frustration.

Basically I want the laptop to just act like the little box and do all my work on the compute screens.

Any help appreciated

19. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Try changing the display settings.
    Go to Settings, System, Display, Multiple Displays. (Or right click on the home screen and select Display Settings)
    There should be various options to change how the screen will display on the monitors.

Let us know if it works as the issue might lie somewhere else.

EDIT:
    I just checked and got this from Google:
    "An HDMI Splitter allows you to mirror your primary display on another monitor.
    Take note that HDMI Splitters can only duplicate video outputs, not extend your display."

I think there are special splitters that would do the job but they are probably pricey.

If changing the display settings doesn't work with your HDMI splitter, the only thing I can suggest is to get a USB to HDMI adapter and plug that from one of your USB ports to the second HDMI cable.

Maybe someone else has another suggestion.

#1419 vodkacolly, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  20. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

What type of laptop is it? Does it have 2 HDMI ports, or is there a USB 3.0 port, or mDP or USB C? You can get video output from all of those ports, so it'd just be as easy as getting the correct cable.

To not be messing with as many random cables and to future proof yourself, I'd just get a docking station. This is a little hub with multiple ports on it. I have one at home which has my 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse, webcam and headset all plugged in. All I need to do is connect 1 cable to my laptop and everything works (including power), and then when the missus is working at home she can plug in too.

They are quite expensive though! Mine cost me almost £300

Just search for "4k dual monitor docking station" and you'll get some options. I wouldn't trust anything that's not a reputable brand name, unless it was over £70 (I'm using pounds as you'll likely find most of them on Amazon, so it's easier for comparison)

Some recommended brands: Kensington, Targus, Anker, Baseus, IOGear, Satechi, StarTech.

I haven't tried anything outside a Kensington or Targus though, but the others are all highly reliable. Anything outside of those, I'd probably purchase on amazon, try them, return them if they don't work.

Feel free to share what you find and I can let you know what I think, or if you have a budget, I can recommend something in that budget for you.