This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

ELVIS-all things IT

Discussion in 'Computers/Gadgets' started by MrsPepe, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Elvis,

Any recomendations for a bog standard media player just to hook to the TV to play avi, mkv and any other popular "pc formats".
    Been using an xbox for years but its on its last legs - having to restore to factory about once a fortnight. Not going to buy another Xbox just so I can watch my downloaded tv programs. Casting from the desktop isnt really an option either as its like me - getting old and slow
    Thought it would be just a case of walking into Currys - handing over 40 or 50 yoyos and going home but the "assistant" in Currys looked like I had asked for his first born and then tried to sell me an xbox.
    See plenty of models online but I may as well be looking into a field of sheep.

Any direction would be appreciated

2. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

What type of TV do you have? Is it a smart TV and does it have a USB port?

3. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Its a Samsung LE40B550A5WXXU model SSO6 12 years old

There is a USB port on it, it'll do music or photos through it (the TV that is) I have tried a USB with MKV and AVI files but they arent recognised - not that I expected them to be

I have a spare HDMI port, I was planning on running the media player through that

4. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Search Amazon for this, should do the trick. From reading the reviews some of them might be faulty, it's easy to return with amazon and get a replacement if that's the case.
    AGPTEK HDMI Media Player, Mini 1080p Full-HD Ultra HDMI Digital Media Player

Roll on 19 likes this.
  5. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Great, Thanks Elvis.
    Its winging its way to me as we speak

Appreciate the help

6. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

That arrived and is hooked up and working just fine. Seems a decent piece of kit.
    Only about half the physical size of an iphone

Thanks again Elvis

7. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Hi Elvis,

Could you help with this? We are going to the forever young festival next week. My mate bought the tickets and sent the weekend passes to us through email. She said to open them up using wallet. She's uses apple wallet to open them .

I have a Samsung S21F. I can't open the files she sent and can't seem to find anything on my phone to open or view the passes?

Any idea how I could get around this or app I could use to view these weekend passes? TIA

8. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I'm no IT wiz. In fact far from it.
    But can you not go old school and use a PC and print off tickets / passes there

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

have you tried using Google pay?

10. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I'm no IT whizz either . They sent on these passes by email and we can't open them. The festival starts on Friday but these mates aren't gonna be up till Saturday. Might see if they can pdf them or something and send to me so they can be printed

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

did she buy them through ticketmaster?
    if so she should be able to download a printable version of the tickets if she logs on to her TM account on a laptop and then she can forward it on to you to print off.

smarten likes this.
  12. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I did try Google pay. It's only giving me option to Add Payment Card i.e. (debit, loyalty, gift card, public transport)

I have my debit card, revolut, Liverpool nfc card etc set up but can't find anything in Google pay to add this type of pass they emailed.

The email they sent ends with .pkpass and when I click on it it says can't be opened and to search play store. Google Pay is listed as a recommendation but just can't figure out how to add..

13. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yeah she did get them through TM. Think I'll get her to do that. Might be the easiest way. I'll probably end up losing my phone anyway (if previous weekend madness are anything to go by)

SUPERFAN likes this.
  14. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you using chrome to try open them ? When doing liverpool tickets on their system it won't let me use chrome I have to manually pick Samsung Internet as browser to do it then the tickets jump straight into my Google pal

Might be worth trying

smarten likes this.
  15. smarten

smarten
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thanks Gerry, I'll give that a try. I was using chrome so will try Samsung Internet and hopefully will work

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Any recommendations for a tablet mainly to load things for the kids for holidays coming up next week, really just to get through flights and car journeys so downloading a few shows or movies or something.

Thanks a million in advance.

17. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Anything at all would be fine. But if you want something good and robust that will last, I could recommend the Lenovo Tab M10 HD or similar models.
    In and around the €200-€250 mark is what you'd be looking at, if you want something that's fast has a good amount of storage and will take a simcard. If you don't want it to take a sim card you can usually knock €50-€100 off the price.

An alternative to this would be any of the Samsung Galaxy tabs that fit you're price range.

If you find anything else you think is interesting, feel free to PM me and I'll take a look. Failing that, if you want to give me a budget I can find you a few links.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

They were doing great deals on tablets on Amazon during prime week.

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a million for the tips on that, we ended up going for a Galaxy A7 Lite, it was on sale for 139 so for what I needed it for it made sense rather than the Lenovo which was just over 200.

elvis likes this.
  20. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

If you haven't already, get the Google Family Link app on both your phone and the tablet. It'll allow you to have full control over the tablet from your phone. You can lock it, put time limits on, restrict apps and games by age or disable altogether as well as other things.

STEVE1978 likes this.