This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Download speeds very slow on torrents

Discussion in 'Computers/Gadgets' started by Garrett, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Despite testing my broadband speed via Speedtest.net etc. and finding that I've an average download speed in excess of 100mbs, I seem to be getting extremely slow speeds when downloading from torrents (I'm taking 50-90kbs).

I tried changing over from Vuze to BitTorrent but this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. I've ensued that upload and download speeds are set to unlimited btw.

I've also checked with a few other people and it's not the speed for the actual torrents in question, as others are getting up to 5mbs download speed at similar times to when I'm downloading from them etc.

I'm using Norton anti virus and firewall and while I had wondered if this may be responsible, I don't know what settings to check to ensure it's not.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem, or suggestions on how to solve the problem please ?

Many thanks,

2. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Apologies if any of this is of the "well obviously I did that" variety...

Personally I never set uploads unlimited - pick a number that neither points to you as a miser, or has you using more bandwidth giving than receiving.
    Have you allowed the firewall to accept connections through your new client?
    Re-jig your port. Even though Utorrent (and others) randomize port numbers on startup, they still use a very small percentage of the available ones and ISPs have a habit of clogging those particular ones. Uncheck "Randomize port" and fiddle around with numbers - most sites say use numbers over 10000 to be sure of hitting a sweet spot.
    Change your "Global maximum number of connections" and "max number of connected peers per torrent" - general consensus seems to be 120 and 60
    Reset the router. I was having problems during the week with slow speeds and losing the printer from the network - reset the lot and now we're zipping along again.

Garrett, GaryMc and kopdub like this.
  3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Mate,

The "well obviously... " bit isn't ever the case, I don't know a lot about tech and always appreciate any help on offer.

I've no idea how to set the firewall to permit connections, any chance you could give me a clue as to what I may be looking for on Norton please ?

No idea about ports either, sorry. Where do I look for "randomize port" and "Global maximum number of connections" please ?

I was having this problem in recent times with Sky broadband, so recently moved over to Virgin, all was good for a few days and now having the same issue (I didn't mess with the settings btw :D)

Thanks a mil.

4. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Hi mate,

I stopped using Norton donkeys ago (found it too fernickity) It has major beefs with torrenting.
    Heres a link (old but useful) to get around its prejudices.
    https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-blocked-utorrent-accessing-internet
    It may not be actually blocking it completely but have rated it as a "poor" or "untrustworthy" in the settings (its self setting) which would slow uTorrent down to a trickle. There was an update on uTorrent about a week ago, which may have caused your Norton to reclassify the security rating, but again thats just a guess

when you open your uTorrent
    The connections are in <Options><Preferences><Bandwidth>
    Ports are in <Options><Preferences><Connections>
    Change them to the above and apply.

Garrett likes this.
  5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Thanks a mil for all of that. I've made the changes you've suggested on BitTorrent but sadly that's not sorted it.

I just took a very quick look at Norton, seems to be permitting BitTorrent and flags it as "good", but no doubt there's a lot more to this given what you've said above and the link you've provided, so I'll have to try and read through that as soon as I can get a chance.

Thanks again for your help here, really do appreciate it.

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Having made no real progress, I resorted to selecting and deselecting the odd option on BitTorrent and found that when I deselected:

Enable NAT-PMP Port Mapping (in Connections), my download speeds improved significantly.

Any idea what this is, if I'll do any harm by leaving this option un-ticked ?

Many thanks,