This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Dejan Lovren

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by PaddyW, Jul 27, 2014.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

From watching most of the world cup so far I haven't seen too many defenders I'd take ahead of him. The only ones I would take instantly are unattainable, Varane, Ramos, Sanchez from Spurs and Thiago Silva. The Swiss lad that we were supposedly after that went to Dortmund looked good too. The rest all have as many errors in them as our soon to be world cup winning Dejan.

Brendinho, Fran74 and Stevie S like this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Hope he has a good game tonight. No doubt his performance at Wembley will be discussed in England dressing room.

3. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

I'm backing him for the winner tonight, and if that doesn't happen I'll be backing him for the winner in the final.

4. kerryred68

kerryred68
    Expand Collapse

Makes no difference, Kane will claim both:p

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Immense again tonight, hope he gives Kane back for the 3rd/4th place playoff.

Brendinho likes this.
  6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Got away with a few, one in particular against Sterling but his overall defence was immense all tournament. A WC final and a CL final within a few months, I've a bad feeling about the conclusion again though.

7. Brendinho

Brendinho
    Expand Collapse

That's a lot of conjecture/whatabouttery you could land at any defender. Other than getting his face in the way of Trippier's free, he was immense tonight.

I'm sticking with my prediction that he will have lovely winners medal around him on Sunday

babbsnads and bobby benitez like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Edit because of double post.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

There's a very small group of elite CB's and he's in the next level down. Is way more consistent for us than he gets credit for and is having a brilliant world cup. 1 season in the last 5 where he hasn't been good and if you want him replaced with a lad who does all the things he does and doesn't make mistakes....good luck with that,but 99% of the CB's out there will at best leave us no better off. You only had to watch 100m pound worth of defenders(Stones and Walker) making mistakes costing England goals last night. A catastrophic mistake that leads to a goal costs you the exact same as a less obvious one that does.Will Lovren make more of the more noticeable ones than other players at the same level? Probably,but as long as its not costing the team more I can accept that.

It's the "moneyball" effect,we look beyond the aesthetics and focus on the results and we'll have looked at every player you can name who you think will be an improvement on Lovren and know if they're likely to make us more effective defensively.It's not blind loyalty that's made Klopp decide CB is not a priority for us,it's rational analysis of all the factors involved from him and his staff.

Shane_90 and kerryred68 like this.
  10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Brendinho, Shane_90, Stevie S and 2 others like this.
  11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

"I think people should recognise that I am also one of the best defenders in the world and not just talk nonsense."

There's something about this that makes me think he's going to regret those words on Sunday. I truly do hope that Croatia win it outright but Lovren is putting unnecessary pressure on himself now.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Saw The interviews and got Deja Vu. A few times before he has been going along nicely and then gives a confident interview. Next game he has a brutal game. Hopefully not this time. Up there with Varane And Umtiti for a place in team of tournament

13. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

What could possibly go wrong Dejan!

14. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Been playing well all the same and he will be in the two biggest finals that are played this year. Most of the time he's a top defender. Every so often he has a stinker. As well as the Spurs game I thought he was very nervous after his error v Roma. Against Middlesbrough at the end of last season he was awful too when we needed composure. Made me doubt him in big games and his ability to concentrate after making mistakes.

Having said that he was great against Man city, brilliant in the champions league final and has had a great world cup. Hopefully he's making the improvements needed to develop into one of the best defenders in the world and will employ someone whose job it is to stop him saying silly things after a good spell of form!

bobby benitez and £6.50 like this.
  15. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Best of luck to him, there's mistakes in everyone! Has been very good so far but maybe should have waited till after wc was over to make such a big statement

honald_tdb likes this.
  16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

17. kopdub

kopdub
    Expand Collapse

Id say Salah, mane and firmino will be forever greatful that lovren took them to a CL final:D:D
    The lad is a bungalow :oops:

18. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

If we signed Lovren before this world cup, we would be one excited fan base. You get away with a Lovren or Matip when you have a Van Dijk. Centre half is sound for bodies if Gomez goes there. Whether Gomez is good enough only time will tell.

Sib, Brendinho, kerryred68 and 2 others like this.
  19. Brendinho

Brendinho
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't to be today, proud of our lad though, he and his team had a fantastic tournament.

kerryred68 likes this.
  20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

He's gone full metal jacket with the hair cut. No fucking about from here on in.

Stevie S and kerryred68 like this.