This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by GaryMc, Oct 26, 2020.

?

Would you immediately take Covid Vaccine if it became available ?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2020.
  1. Straight Away

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Wait and See

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Would Never Take it

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

My brother is in his 30's and got the AZ vaccine last week, this is a ballache he doesn't need.

2. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Most under the age of 60 who got first dose will get second according to RTE news

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Instead of worrying about catching covid he'll be worrying about blood clotting now, it wouldn't fill you with confidence going for the second dose.

4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

That's bad news, not least because it's a single dose, rather than two jab solution.

6. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

They've been killing people for decades and covering it up to protect their profits, what made anyone think they'd be different this time? The ultimate money grabbing company on the planet.

Their vaccine already had a lower efficacy than the rest of them, so why people would even want to take the worst available vaccine when others are available is beyond me.

Here's some good reading that gives some insight into what they're like as a company.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/johnsonandjohnson-cancer/

And it wasn't just their Baby Powder, they've had numerous recalls on products that later turned out to be killing people.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd let Harold Shipman administer it through my eyeball if I thought it would get me a week in Lanzarote.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Was thinking about what @elvis had said on here previously about J&J when I heard the news today.

Wouldn't go near it myself but appreciate many would.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

In all seriousness I find it hard to have an opinion on things like whether people should take a vaccine if there's a risk of blood clot or even when we should be in or out of lockdown, because no matter what side you come down on, it's somebody else's life you're inadvertently talking about putting at risk.

Personally I'll take any vaccine I'm offered because the odds of me getting a blood clot are far bigger than the odds of me becoming very ill through covid, and it will have the added benefit of making people I come into contact with safer. 6 people out of 7 million with the J and J one and 4 people out of 1 million with the Astra Zaneca. A lot of people making the point that way more people will die because of the delay these suspensions will cause in the roll out than would from blood clots, which is hard to argue with. But on tbe other side if you think a vaccine may be causing deaths,then how can you not suspend it while more information is gathered? I don't envy the people making these decisions.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

That's the thing, I could be wrong but a person being fully vaccinated doesn't make people safer that come in to contact with them, they can still carry the virus and infect other people.
    I was explaining that to my mother the other day and she was pretty disappointed when she found out.

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Everything else aside I don't think the point about it being the worst available vaccine fully explains the data, their vaccine has a lower efficacy at preventing you from getting Covid but it was found to be 100% effective in preventing death and hospitalisation from Covid and I think it was greated than 90% at preventing serious Covid. They also tested in a much broader sample from different areas including South Africa which would have impacted on the efficacy. It's also the only single shot vaccine meaning only one set of side effects and it doesn't need the same cold storage chain as the MRNA vaccines.

The other points about J&J are hopefully moot with the amount of testing that's going on by independent regulators on these vaccines but I understand that with their history a lot of people will have trouble trusting them and I'd understand that completely.

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

As far as I'm aware it drastically reduces your chances of contracting covid,and your chances of transmitting it if you do contract it. It will still be possible to contract it and transmit it, but it will be far less likely. I think it makes you between 80 and 90% less likely to be infected. That can only make it safer for the people you come into contact with.

13. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

So the chances of getting 180k a week or 250k a week done, are far off as ever. I can't bear another bloody lockdown in September if certain percentage isn't vaccinated. Hopefully hse can update us in near further what there pridections are now with vanication.

14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Several times Donnelly and Martin have said that once J&J comes online, it will have a major impact as it’s one shot and easily stored.

Expect now that the briefings will start talking about the lockdown continuing to August. It’s been obvious for a while that the governments plan to reopen is based on Vaccine numbers. We saw already Glynn talking about the need for extended lockdown this week, he probably got a heads up on the J&J news.

Time to get on the blower to Russia. As far as I have heard been no concerns with their vaccine

Garrett likes this.
  15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

There's no doubt being vaccinated will greatly reduce your chances of being infected but I'd have my doubts about being less infectious. My parents were vaccinated last week and nothing changes for them, they still have to wear masks and distance themselves from others.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Genuinely not trying to be smart, but why do you have doubts about being less infectious, but no doubts that it will greatly reduce your chances of being infected? It's based on the same science,no? Also I think it takes two weeks to become effective.

But any way you look at it, if you're 80-90% less likely to contract it,then your chances of passing it to anybody else are automatically greatly reduced. I think the masks and social distancing will be encouraged for a long time yet because very little chance of contacting/transmitting it is still a chance. Belt and braces approach.

17. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

We might get a few crumbs thrown at us in July/August but then it will be all about winter on the horizon. I think it was already mentioned a few months back that NPHET warned of lockdowns heading into next winter. I wonder will they start the AS back up now. They had mentioned yesterday if they had no other vaccines they wouldn't have suspended it.

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure if you're vaccinated you can still carry the virus and be infectious to others even though you can't become ill yourself, you're basically asymptomatic.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

As I understand it, you can still contract it and become ill. You can still contract it and be asymptomatic. And you can still transmit it if you're unlucky enough to get it.

But the chances of all of those things are greatly reduced. The more people that get vaccinated,the smaller those chances become.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

At the start they had to say that in all cases as no one really knew if people could still get it and pass it on. Now it’s been around 3-4 months, the science is showing it greatly reduces the chances of getting it and even if you do and have no symptoms, you are less infectious. This is why they are talking about letting people into shops, barbers, sports venues if you are vaccinated.

Like a lot of things with Covid, it’s very cautious, they are not going To encourage vaccinated people to act normal as it would encourage other folks around them to act normal.