This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by GaryMc, Oct 26, 2020.

?

Would you immediately take Covid Vaccine if it became available ?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2020.
  1. Straight Away

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Wait and See

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Would Never Take it

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Does the article have much detail on what happened Gary, I can't find it myself so can only see the tiny excerpt from the front page, if you had a link I'd appreciate it.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Keep reading the teachers are in danger of having the public turn on them with their demands......fuck off,no public sector workers can inconvenience the public and not have the public turn on them so public approval is always rightly down the list of priorities. I don't necessarily agree with teachers on this one, but they've never had the public on their side in any dispute. Listening to what so many people think of that profession down the years,its strange so many of the same people trust their kids to them. On a positive note, many have suddenly found they have a lot of concern for supermarket workers which is bound to come in handy the next time a group of them go on strike. Tescos or Dunnes bosses won't know whats hit them with all the public support for their workers when the time comes:)

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I would absolutely love if shop workers would get themselves together and go on a mass strike for far better pay and conditions but unfortunately it seems unlikely to happen and individually they are unfortunately easily replaced if they make a stand for themselves.

Unions and the teachers they represent are very different, most of the teachers I know are fed of this posturing by the Unions and would rather just get on with their jobs as best they can in current circumstances (granted they're all in their 30's, older teachers might feel more aggrieved).

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I think it's down to a perception that most teachers only work "part time", get full time salaries, lots of holidays, and a state pension. Then, never seen willing to agree to any sort of change that's asked of them.

My neighbour is a secondary school teacher, and he'd be the first to admit that he's got it very handy, although part of that depends on the subject that you teach. He mentioned that there's one of the unions that are particularly difficult and they drive him nuts, as they are too stuck in their ways and inflexible, even though he's a member of that particular union.

Retail workers, and particularly those working in supermarkets, are an entirely different kettle of fish. I think most people would be delighted to see them get a better deal - although that view might quickly start to change when the prices go up for every day goods. The sh1t that's gone on about things like zero hour contracts etc over the years, is just wrong though. Aren't Mandate the main union in the retail sector - I thought they were quite strong tbh ?

#286 Garrett, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The government brought in the police to help liquidators empty Debenhams of its stock and get it past the picket line,definitely not essential work during a pandemic. It barely made a ripple mate. I'm not sure a lot of the people I'm seeing show their concern for supermarket workers, care that much about supermarket workers.

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Younger brother got vaccinated yesterday, parents getting done tomorrow, they're delighted.

diceyreilly, Garrett and babbsnads like this.
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We'll administer our 1 millionth vaccine today. For all our issues,that's far ahead of what seemed realistically possible 6 or 7 months ago. Sometimes it's important to take the positives where we can get them.

diceyreilly and Irishkop96 like this.
  10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

If your point is that the rent a crowd that are using shopworkers as an excuse to not vaccinate teachers then yes you're absolutely right. It's the same ones that have seen the light on mental health issues because pubs/gyms etc. are closed. We're going to live in a utopian society once everything opens up again, people have become so caring.

The likes of the Debenhams situation will always get fairly little attention because they don't have any power behind them because they're not a single force. If Debenhams go bust only their own workers will care because nobody else is impacted, even a lot of their own staff might just accept it and go and try and find another job at which point it becomes less important to them too. If there was some sort of major retail union that could bring all of these workers together you might get some sort of pull behind their issues that we might get better legislation around zero hours contracts and a real living wage not to mention the scourge that is the gig economy. The sad fact is that the employers know that most of these staff are easily replaced and that leaves you very vulnerable.

babbsnads likes this.
  11. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Regarding teachers union threat of strike

If the Government does not agree to schedule vaccinations by the end of the current school year, based on their demands, the motion is seeking support for ballot of members for industrial action, up to and including strike action.

By the end of school year? Sur they'll be finishing up at that stage so might as well wait with everybody else.

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Perfectly reasonable and the feeling among a lot of teachers and what's being reported seems to be different, not sure if that's down to the union. I know my union went and looked for 10 extra days holidays this year for us which I certainly never looked for and don't know anybody else that did.

bobby benitez likes this.
  13. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Brother in Germany was texting me, was saying the Germans are buying the sputnik vaccine, I'm wondering will Ireland go after it.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Haven't a couple of other EU counties also opted for it - Hungry, and possibly also Czech Republic from memory?

I'm not quite sure what the underlying issue is - I've seen mention of it needing approval by the European Medicines Authority, and the Russian manufacturer not providing the information required, which seems odd.

#294 Garrett, Apr 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM
  15. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Shoot it up, shoot it up, shoot it up...
    (I know I am showing my age when quoting the lyrics of a Sigue Sigue Sputnik song). :p

16. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed on the news (RTE radio) in the last few months that the UK is nearly been spoken about in the same terms as Russia. Its like they have done such a good job of blackening their reputation they have dragged up Russia. Sure if we can buy vaccines from rogues like the UK then why not Russia? Reeling in the years in 2050 will be looking back at this period of time and almost laughing at the self inflicted sabotage.

17. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

18. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

19. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Yeap.
    I think people should be allowed to take it if want. Although I'm not a medical expert, the risks are small

20. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

All AZ clinics closed today.
    But if this vaccine is not to b given to under 60s, why are AZ clinics closed?

Didn't think we'd reached that cohert yet.
    I would have thought only healthcare workers and those with underline health conditions , that were under 60 would have had their vaccine by now.