This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I'd wager them places won't be open this time next week.

3. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Some of the pics from Howth yesterday.

Attached Files:

Garrett likes this.
  4. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Well I'm on the testing waitlist. Bit sore throat last week but tightness in chest Friday Evening. Be next week before get test and result. Ehh that's terrifying for the numbers.

Pregnant wife delighted she had to go shops on her own yesterday....load people walking around coughing she said.

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I have been coughing up copious amounts of Phlegm for 3 days. Small cough no other symptoms, have a runny nose which appears to rule it out. Strange times these, not letting paranoia take over seems to be the key, don't watch or read anything COVID-19 related after 8pm or earlier if you can helps.

6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I know it's facebook and you take it with a pinch of salt but 2 people I know of died yesterday and family members are claiming it was from C 19, looks like numbers are going to start rising unfortunately.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Our mortality rate is unusually low at the moment compared to most other countries and it's recently hit a nursing home in Leinster so there's no doubt about it that the numbers are going to increase. If they died of C19 yesterday evening they'll likely be in the numbers released tonight.

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

one of the people I heard about was in a nursing home

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Just for context internationally they're finding a mortality rate of somewhere around 4%, at present Ireland is at less than .5%. We have tested a fairly high number of people by international standards which means we've likely caught a lot more of the non critical cases which might go some way towards explaining it but if our numbers do start aligning with the normal rates in the rest of the world we'll be heading towards 40/50 deaths in a reasonably short timeframe.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

i was surprised to read earlier that ireland currently has more cases per 1 million of population than the UK, they have 84 and we have 183.

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Some mad numbers out there, Germany has a ridiculously low rate too. I wonder does the strength of the virus weaken if picked up from a surface or something as opposed to directly swapping spit for example. Italy and Spain are very touchy feely nations, Germans have been social distancing for years and we are a lot closer in custom and behaviour to them than we would be to the Mediterranean nations.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

You'd need to know the numbers tested avd the basis for the testing to understand what's driving that difference! Mortality rates will be the only reliable indicator when it's all over as every country is pursuing a slightly different testing system.

13. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

My God, that is just braindead stuff FFS ! Some people are just pure T H I C K !
    This thing could last for a very long time if this is going on...

Garrett likes this.
  14. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Well I'm not anymore. And don't have thermometer so can't check if have fever (obviously not high enough that I feel it so unlikely).

So what do I do now....isolate as might have it but not being tested because eh?? Not get treatment for whatever do have if not that because can't visit doc? Continue let my pregnant wife do most stuff and go shops as I was told not to?

Bit of a fucking joke against the "test, test, test" idea. Big misstep.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I like to think I generally give credit where it's due and theres a lot of credit due to the government about how they're dealing with certain aspects of the crisis but they're still putting economics and vested interests above immediate danger to peoples lives. Building sites cannot be judged as essential work during a pandemic,its ludicrous.

The scumbags in America before they've even got any sort of handle on the situation have already moved onto the "old people should be happy to die to save the stock market" mantra while the usual talking heads in the UK are outraged they're not allowed go to the pub.This situation has shown the best of so many people,but it's also shown there is no bottom for some and that we've been allowing people to die unnecessarily for years out of choice.

Roll on 19, Sib, Brian Boru and 2 others like this.
  16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

17. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I was surprised

It was welcome news seeing as I'm on temp layoff

babbsnads likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

19. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Folks it was reported that creches were basically charging parents for the kids places regardless of the fact that that obviously the kids werent attending, and I heard some high and mighty from the governing body attempting to justify this on the radio some weeks back, very poorly I thought at the time.

Were folks from here finding this? Pay us to mind your kiddies, but keep them at home and do it yourselves?

While I am happy the "minions" of the childcare sector have now gotten a form of job security, leaves a slightly sour taste to have an industry as a whole has basically received a bailout so they can continue to gouge families when thing return to normal. I suppose its too much to ask or hope for that that 70% of wages could be rerouted into a % of cost per child payment when the wages are again coming from parents pockets.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Child care is ridiculously expensive and hopefully when this is all over something is done to tackle that issue but making sure the industry is still there for when people start returning to work without parents having any of that burden has to go down as a good thing.

GaryMc likes this.