This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Jesus that's tough. The poor man, her poor kids. This relatively modern thing of people getting hung up on mad conspiracy theories and turning against medicine and science just baffles me. Flat earthers too. Just complete and utter madness, it's like a new dark ages with these people. I just cannot understand the psychology of it.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think a part of it is the basic human desire to know something the next guy doesn't. There's obviously way more to it,because we're seeing normally intelligent people go down rabbit holes but conspiracy theories are a way for unintelligent or less educated people to feel intellectual. Simple answers to complex questions works well on that demographic too, and its always in somebody somewheres interest to sow mistrust in science/the MSM/whatever.

Imagine you wanted to convince somebody who knew absolutely nothing about football that Ronaldo was better than Messi. You tell them that Ronaldo has scored over 100 goals for Portugal while Messi hasn't scored any for them. You're not lying,you're just leaving out the necessary context. It's the same principle with far more complex things like vaccines. Only it takes actual experts to explain why the point being made is stupid because who understands the science around vaccines, or things like international trading laws,or the socio economics of immigration? And theyll tell you the reason the experts/do gooders etc aren't giving people these simple answers is because they're in the pocket of big pharma/big business/the government,and they'll never be short of genuine examples where they lied before.

It takes so much more effort to debunk the bullshit than it does to spread it,and when it is eventually debunked, the bullshit spreaders will take advantage of the fact people dont like to admit to themselves that they've been conned,and if you offer them a way to avoid admitting it they'll gladly take it,no matter how weak the out is. With Brexit,with Trump and even more incredibly with vaccines, we're seeing people who have sunken so much into never wanting to admit they were conned,that they'll risk their health and in some cases they're literally willing to die to avoid it.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  3. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

To clarify when I said I can't understand the psychology of it above, I suppose I do know a lot of the reasons behind it but I still can't understand why people feel the need to buy into that. It scares me, the madness of it, the need to define themselves by pinning their identity to something just to feel some control, some identity. Their whole lives governed by it. The utter stench of the pathetic off it.

bobby benitez and babbsnads like this.
  4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

5. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Crazy. Was an elderly couple up here in a community hospital. Both didn't take the vaccine. The hospital did it all could for them not to get it. Sadly the son took it in to them unknownly.. Sadly the 2 of them died day apart.

6. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

No taste or smell Monday tested Monday night text on Tuesday positive.

back to freedom next Friday

7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ryder Cup lockdown! Nice one.

The loss of taste and smell is the freakiest symptom of this I think, weird!

8. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Any other symptoms ?

9. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

no nothing feel grand.

mushypea and GaryMc like this.
  10. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

11. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

Good to be back out.

liverpool4life, GaryMc and redabbey like this.
  12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Merck have a drug which might be close to market which has cut deaths to 0% in a small study of people who are already infected with coronavirus.

I never thought mich about the trial groups but on this one in particular you'd have to really feel for the control group that got the placebo, a drug that almost certainly would have saved your life but you get sugar syrup instead, I know it's for the greater good but it's a bit shit all the same.

13. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

Great welcome back to the office

My travelling to a lot of games in a short period of time is putting my work mates at risk and they were very worried when I tested positive. I need to think about others apparently and it would be advised to not travel so frequently.

Bite my balls. What I do outside of my job is my own business as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Monday

liverpool4life likes this.
  14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

load of bollox, keep your travels to yourself in future mate.

vodkacolly likes this.
  15. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Well if you enjoy WFH I would suggest if people aren't comfortable either you or they should continue to do so until Oct 22 when basically all restrictions ease anyway.

As long as within Gov guidance they can't say or suggest shite.

16. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Block everyone in work from your socials and carry on about your business.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Fair play to that head teacher in Wexford calling out the HSE on their bullshit when it comes to schools.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

14 covid case admissions into ICU in the last 24 hours, zero discharges. Not good news.

19. MrMo

MrMo
    Expand Collapse

Is there anywhere that it shows if these admissions to ICU are fully vaccinated or not?
    I’ve been kinda just got on with things since I was vaccinated, haven’t been in crowded pubs etc much, and all my workmates are also done, so I’m not even too bothered whether they wear masks or not. Is is still a case that it is difficult for a vaxxed person to catch Covid from another vaxxed person?

20. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Think I saw the risk of onward transmission from a vaccinated person was 30% of that of an unvaccinated but I could be mistaken?

MrMo likes this.