This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's an article about suicide attempts/cases in America among 12-17 year olds since the pandemic began, and how the data correlated with schools opening and closing. Overall,there was a large spike. You can't establish causation with this kind of data,it's far too complex an issue,although that didn't stop people on the anti lockdown side of the argument doing just that. But it shows that the big spikes were after schools which had been closed due to covid, reopened,so if we were to judge it on the numbers alone(which we shouldn't) going back to school had a bigger impact than closing schools.

But I've thought all along something that hasn't got much attention is the mental health impact for some people of lockdowns ending. With people dying of covid,losing their income/jobs and the obvious mental health impacts of that and lockdowns, saying lockdowns have been good for you generally wouldn't go down too well. So you don't hear a lot of people saying it but a prolonged break from the stresses/pressures/anxieties of normal life has been a good thing for a lot of people. And because we haven't really talked about that, there is very little attention paid to the mental health impacts of lockdowns ending which can't be a good thing.[/QUOTE]

That's a frightening graph in general if you look at the impact in particular in 2019 (assuming that's a reasonable baseline for prior years to that too) in that the peaks and troughs always seem to correlate with schools opening, is that kids being bullied getting a break for the summer months when they're separated from the usual stresses and strains of it and then back to the classroom and their abusers again in September. You add in the added strains of the coronavirus and it seems to have spiked the numbers to a new baseline without doubt but the pattern remains, returning to school appears to be a huge strain on kids mental health for some reason.

I'm actually blown away by this actually and had never considered that this would be the case. For some reason my natural assumption was that putting the more vulnerable kids in society into a routine based environment where they probably get fed etc. better than they might when school is out of season would have actually improved things. I guess I need to keep in mind that this is the US so it's not really an apt comparison with Ireland but I wonder do they see the same correlation in attempted suicides here compared to the Us.

Sorry the article actually elaborates on this further down that I'm only seeing now still can't believe that overriding point that schools opening lead to an increase in suicides attempts in girls.

babbsnads likes this.
  2. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Lads does anyone know If your job can stop you from returning to work for 5 days without pay and insist you provide negative test on return from the Uk or Europe if you are vaccinated and have the covid cert? (not myself a Friend)

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

how does the job in question know that your friend has travelled anywhere?

4. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

He told them he was going to Portugal he's vaccinated and so is his Mrs. I suppose he didn't think he needed to hide it.with the covid cert.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

As far as I know(open to correction) your job can only insist you follow government guidelines. They're not obligated to pay you if you're required to isolate,but I don't think they can make you isolate unless the government says you're supposed to.

6. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn’t say thats legal at all. if he is in a Union I’d go to them.

7. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Just follow up on this.. No videos.
    But I'm seeing few rants on Facebook.. I'm going to my local for 20+years and refused entry as no covid cert...
    Went to my local restaurant and refused..
    How can these business refuse custom..
    Both saying going into Derry as no hassle.
    2 different people. Crazy

babbsnads likes this.
  8. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I still haven't received mine and I'm heading down the country this weekend. I have the card they mark with the batch number and date, hoping that will suffice.

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

still waiting on my recovery cert, they told me 8 days ago it would take up to 5 days.

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Divorce up by 30% last year, spending too much time with your partner definitely now scientifically proven to be a bad thing for a marriage.

babbsnads likes this.
  11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Know two couples who didn't make it through lockdown. Not just very sad(kids involved both cases) but logistically a fucking nightmare. One of them had to keep living together because of the circumstances.

edcarroll02 likes this.
  12. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Had my 2nd dose at 11:20 on Tuesday and my pint passport in my inbox at 7am this morning.

GaryMc likes this.
  13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it's awful stuff, can see why so many couples just stick at it even if both unhappy as it's a bloody nightmare by all accounts when kids are involved.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

if housing wasn't such an issue in this country and rents weren't so expensive I honestly think that figure would be even higher.

15. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

maybe a stupid question but if you had no covid cert why would you try get into either a pub or restaurant
    It’s been over publicised that you need the cert or am I missing something??

Irishkop96 likes this.
  16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

just guessing but maybe they're still waiting on it, haven't got it yet through no fault of their own?

17. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was in lk last week and found some places very lax with guidelines

The orchard in particular
    Each to their own and all that but the mask wearing was very lax in shops and petrol stations and so on

All that said a great week was had in Donegal,the beaches in that weather were the business.

Irishkop96 and babbsnads like this.
  18. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

The pubs in general are very lax. Fairness haven't seen many without masks in shops. Right enough just i do shopping once a week.
    Hope you enjoyed it up here

19. Brendinho

Brendinho
    Expand Collapse

Your DCC won’t be valid until 7 days after your second dose when it’s scanned. The scanner is here: https://app.digitalcovidcertchecker.gov.ie/

actually now that I think of it, that might be 14 days for Moderna/AZ/J&J…

I was out for an informal work gathering last night, 7 of us at 1 table, 2 unvaccinated (vaccine hesitant) old lads, none of us asked to show a vaccine cert.

GaryMc, mushypea and SUPERFAN like this.
  20. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

had a few pints before/after the bohs game tonight, won't mention the name of the pub but they didn't discriminate.
    fair play