This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Chelsea (h) 09/05/2020

Discussion in 'Travel' started by The Oggmonster, Nov 8, 2019.

1. The Oggmonster

The Oggmonster
    Expand Collapse

Bit early, I know. But in a moment of madness I bought hospitality for this as I don't think I would have managed to get a ticket any other way.

Am I better off sorting travel now? Big game, I don't see Ryanair getting cheaper for this weekend? I was looking at doing Friday to Monday to cover my bases. Game could be Saturday morning or evening or Sunday afternoon. Small chance it could be Friday or Monday night but I think I'd risk it being one of the main slots above.

Flights in to Liverpool on Friday morning and back out on Monday are €112.98. Same days but Manchester is €85.98.

Any thoughts on this yet?

#1 The Oggmonster, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Could well be Friday or Monday I would guess. Champions league if on around that time could play a part.

The Oggmonster likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Get the boat if staying over night

4. The Oggmonster

The Oggmonster
    Expand Collapse

City played on the Monday night last year on the penultimate weekend. There was a match on the Friday night too :(

5. Paul Connolly

Paul Connolly
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully we will be in a Champions league semi-final to avoid a Friday night kick off. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a Monday unfortunately

6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Obviously you can't take this as gospel but I think the Chelsea match might not be Liverpool's penultimate match of the season or even Chelsea's either which if the case would rule out this match being a Monday night fixture.

Last season the two Champions League semi-finals were in the two midweek's before the end of the season which meant that postponed matches involving teams that had being earlier postponed were played on the 23rd and 24th of April.

This year the 2nd leg of the Champions League semi-final is not in the last midweek of the season and this last midweek will be used to catch up on postponed fixtures from earlier in the season.

As of now we know that Liverpool have one postponed fixture to catch up on. I hope we have more as we are due an FA Cup run and league matches would have to be postponed if Liverpool were to get past the 5th round. Likewise for Chelsea.

With regard to travel for this match I do think travel will get cheaper and will drop at some stage but I would be checking weekly. Different circumstances but the last match of last season was Wolves and it was on a date and time that would not change and I was watching the flights for some time. I can't remember when I had booked a cheap flight one way into Birmingham from Dublin but had nothing home until mid march when I was able to book a cheap flight back to Dublin from John Lennon after the match.

7. Kop202

Kop202
    Expand Collapse

Another unlikely outcome is if Chelsea finish 3rd in their group and drop into Europa league and could play the Thursday before. Either way I personally think booking anything now is taking too much a risk.

8. The Oggmonster

The Oggmonster
    Expand Collapse

All taken on board. Cheers.

I do think the most likely outcome is Sunday. But I'll wait a while longer. Accommodation is already quite sparse/expensive.

9. Kop202

Kop202
    Expand Collapse

No harm in booking room with free cancellation

10. The Oggmonster

The Oggmonster
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I was thinking of doing this.