This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

car insurance

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SUPERFAN, Jun 7, 2019.

1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

never owned a car before but i'm taking lessons at the moment through work and was flirting with the idea of getting a little motor, something old and not too expensive. I was messing around with one of those online insurance quote thingys last week and for a 2007 yaris on a learner permit I was being quoted 4,500 euro, that's fcukin outrageous. don't have the first clue about it but is it really that expensive, is there anything that can be done to reduce the cost?
    I was told if it was a more up to date car the insurance would cost less, would that be the case?
    there's not a fcukin hope i'm paying that kind of money, don't need to drive that badly.

2. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Full license mate...age of car won’t really matter so long as your on a permit

SUPERFAN likes this.
  3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I know with me, when I added the wife, that added a further discount . Also if you have home insurance with the company you can get another discount on your policy. I am with Aviva If that helps. But on a full license. If you do a Advanced driving course you can get a further discount .

4. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Worked in AXA for over 6 years for my sins.
    Unfortunately over 30’s with no previous insurance is as mental at a 17 year old getting insurance.

Get a one litre or 1.2 less than 10 years old.
    Add a second driver with a full licence. If it’s a partner/spouse there is a massive discount. If the car is more than 6/7 years old get 3rd party only cover.

If it’s going to be more than 1 year until you are ready to get your own car/insurance, get someone to name you on their policy ( this will not cost much) and you will have 1 year’s bonus in 12 months time even if you’ve never driven it.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

nice one mate, some good info there.

diceyreilly likes this.
  6. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Not all insurance companies sees a named driver for a year as a 1 years bonus dicsount.

7. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Back in the day I got 50% credit with whoever i was with on my Mam's policy

8. Kgreen92

Kgreen92
    Expand Collapse

Well lads this is the only thread I could find for car insurance.
    Got my renewal in the post today and it is 980 quid,50 quid dearer than last year.Ive a full license for the last 2 years and the insurance is on a 1 litre 99 Nissan micra.Throw In 4 years no claims bonus and no penalty points and it seems very very high?Any tips on how to bring it down or decent companies to enquire with?
    TIA

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I dont know if that's fully comp or third party but if it's not third party it's probably worth going that way.

10. Kgreen92

Kgreen92
    Expand Collapse

Sorry should’ve said that in first post,only third party,fire and theft

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Pearse Doherty did a good job recently on nailing a few of the insurance company representatives on their false claims about premiums needing to be high due to fraud etc. While I think that was focused on non-motor insurance, it's some of the same crap as we get told when getting motor insurance quotes - rip off Ireland all the way here :(

12. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

The clip i seen was deffo focused on motor insurance.