This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REDHEART, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Im currently with 25plus.
    I can't get a renewal quote online.
    Same with quotedevil and anpost.
    No circumstances have changed either.
    Any ideas?

2. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried Chill.ie ?

I appreciate that you say there has been no change in circumstances, but is there any chance that you have an old car ? ... I gather some insurers are not providing cover for cars more than X years old (think it's 10, but could be wrong about the age).

3. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, my car is a 2008.
    I had a quick look at chill. Cheapest was about 750. Thats a 150 increase on last year. Two years ago it was aroumd 420.

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

That's not old tbf....

At least you got a quote :)

If you can, stick a named driver on your policy (i.e. the other half, if there's a full clean driving licence there....), that usually reduces the quote a little bit.

Suggest you find out if they are authorised by the Irish Central Bank, or the Central Bank of another member state (and just permitted to trade here, with the Irish Central Bank just regulating them for certain consumer issues etc.). The Central Bank of Ireland probably have a list of authorised insurance companies somewhere on their website.

5. Timemachine

Timemachine
    Expand Collapse

Folks, looking for peoples opinion for my car insurance issue.

Was in an accident last year, other person at fault and not insured.

I had to go through my own insurance initially to get back on the road as my car was badly damaged. I was advised that my NCB would not be affected as my insurance company would be claiming against MIBI but I have received my renewal quote and my ncb has been affected and my premium has rose by over 50% from €500 to just over €1k!!!

To me it appears that my company is benefiting twice on this claim, claiming through the MiBI from damages to my car and also increasing my premium by 50%.

6. south

south
    Expand Collapse

Have you contacted them and asked for an explanation ?

If that fails contact the financial services ombudsman @ http://www.financialombudsman.ie

7. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

What was your no claims bonus ( percentage) before and what is it now.
    You will lose your bonus until the MIBI has settled up with your company.

8. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear that mate. From 500 euro to over 1k is more than a 100% increase also not a 50% increase. I'm just mentioning this in case you are appealing this or arguing with them over it. Hopefully you get sorted. It's crap when you get penalised financially for something that wasn't your fault.

Stevie S likes this.
  9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I got my renewal in recently and my premium jumped by something similar, even though I wasn't even in an accident and had no claims !

My brokers then got a quote from another company (which apparently is the cheapest available to me :rolleyes:) coming in around €800, so only about 50%-60% up on last year. I ring them up and guess what, after a couple of minutes they can get me a very similar deal from another insurance company for about a hundred quid less, and I'm to believe this is jut down to timing, because it's a new policy that's just been launched (by an existing insurer) on the market. Cnuts....

Needless to say, I'm now going to check every insurance company and broker I can think of, to get a cheaper quote and leave this lot. Same sh1te with 123 a few years ago, this time it's Chill, can't trust any of them imho.:mad:

10. Kgreen92

Kgreen92
    Expand Collapse

Well lads I know this is a bit off topic but here goes

Doing my full driving test on Monday and I’ve just found out that I’ve a worn out CV boot on front left of car.Mechanic has told me car is driveable and there is no danger of anything serious happening as it is only a small car.Dont exactly have the money to get it fixed at the minute so do any of ye reckon that it will be ok to do the driving test?Only way it’s noticeable is when steering wheel is locked to one side and you can hear a clicking sound,or will the tester fail straight away if he hears it?TIA

11. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Have no idea if the tester will fail you straight away, but if it was me I'd try to find another car to do the test in...

Kgreen92 likes this.
  12. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Just curious to know are people's renewal still going up? And where do people think the best deals are had.
    Not due for renewal for another two months but wouldn't be surprised to see it jump again as it has for the previous 3 years.

13. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Was pleasantly surprised that my renewal quote was down this year. Insurance with the same company cost me €85 less.

Mico likes this.
  14. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I've stayed with the same company in over 5 years.

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Probably the 1st time I have stayed with the same company in consecutive years in recent memory.

Mico likes this.
  16. Brendinho

Brendinho
    Expand Collapse

Got my renewal from Chill.ie a couple of weeks ago, just over €900 with Axa . Went direct to them and got it for €800 with better coverage.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I've been with the same crowd for years because they were giving me the best deal by quite a bit ahead of the market (it's through Glennons brokers) even though it had been creeping up ever year, this year was the first year that it went down by about €60 without even having to haggle, after haggling it was closer to €60.

18. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

So it went down by €58.
    And after haggling it was down €59?
    Every little helps I suppose.

Stevie S likes this.
  19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Ha my bad, it was about €100 after haggling, the old "daily special" that they always seem to be able to muster while you're on the phone but will never be available again :)

vodkacolly and Stevie S like this.
  20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I renewed in Q1 this year, existing crowd tried to stick my premium up significantly, despite having no good reason.

I ended up going with Supervalu insurance after getting about 15-20 quotes, ironically their underwriters were the same crowd I was leaving through another large broker, and I got €30 worth of Supervalue points and vouchers. Definitely worth checking them out imho.

Mico likes this.