This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Buying tickets outside the ground? - any experiences

Discussion in 'Tickets' started by Darragh1, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Darragh1

Darragh1
    Expand Collapse

Just looking to get peoples experience getting tickets outside the ground?

Any positive stories or all bad?

Basically I reckon I'll have to go down this route for the Bayern game if push comes to shove so just curious to see peoples experience. Every year I get sorted one way or another weeks before games but this year is just a disaster

2. click22

click22
    Expand Collapse

Can you really trust a stranger to hand over your hard earned cash with the hope his/her card is active ?

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Unless you are going in with the person you are buying from, I wouldn't risk it at all. Paper tickets are rare these days and then it's not hard to give someone a card that doesn't work.

wertyu and Dub13 like this.
  4. IrishCan

IrishCan
    Expand Collapse

Got a paper ticket for £100 few years ago when we were let down last minute. Was grand despite the police loudspeaker announcements saying forgeries were being sold. Paper tickets are only really available for the cup games now.
    If buying a ticket on a membership card ask to see the confirmation email or text sent by the club. Even then though I’ve heard people getting given older versions of the members card.Even rumours of forged cards doing the rounds

5. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

It's a two minute job to forge to make it look like you have he confirmation email or text, although it's still a good first reference point, if they can't produce it, it's a sign something is up.

If someone is organised though, they just need someone to send then the exact text from another phone and enter LFC TO as the name in address book. One of the cases recently in court showed the lengths rip off mercants will go to.

Personally would really only deal with people I know or someone that someone I know can vouch for. Dealing with complete strangers more often than note will end in tears.

6. Timemachine

Timemachine
    Expand Collapse

Did once years ago when was let down for ticket. I would only do if desperate, big risk to do.

7. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Remember years ago getting done with a fake outside the ground. A lad actually followed us into the pub and warned us they could be fake albeit aftet we bought the 2 tickets. Went the ticket office to confirm our fears. Club took a few details felt sorry for us and sold us 2 for the kop.. Always crosses my mind when struggling to get a ticket for a game to forge one and go up to ticket office crying to see if they sell me one :p.

corcaigh and GaryMc like this.
  8. Timemachine

Timemachine
    Expand Collapse

Just on a side note, would there be any chance of getting tickets from ticket office on match day?

9. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

If you're there at 5 am and up to queuing for 5 hours there's a chance. Wouldn't bother turning up at 0930 . Was out there on the morning of the Arsenal game to try help someone out and the queue was a mile long. Only a handful got sorted and the rest were sent packing.

Timemachine likes this.
  10. Wicklow Red

Wicklow Red
    Expand Collapse

after getting stung for 250 in Athens for a forgery I'd never again buy a ticket outside a ground the Reds are playing in, at least we didn't win that time :(

11. Wicklow Red

Wicklow Red
    Expand Collapse

in my experience i couldn't get near the ticket office for United ( stewards told people to move away ) so watched in the pub across road from the Kop ( I'd recommend if you dont get a ticket, great atmosphere ) and for Arsenal I had a ticket but they announced it was sold out 30 mins before the match, some people have had success at ticket office on this site for earlier games this season but it will probably be hard if we keep winning

Timemachine likes this.
  12. corcaigh

corcaigh
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, is it worth getting a membership at this stage in case tickets appear on the official site (or the Ticket office) or not if you don’t have any credits built up? (Any game I’ve been to, I’ve borrowed a card either from here or toutless)

Have Bournemouth booked for flights and accommodation but no tickets yet.

Any advice appreciated!

13. Horan01

Horan01
    Expand Collapse

I would say not at this late stage, very little possibility of getting tickets in any of the late sales unless your very very lucky, which you might be, in which case it might be worth a go if you are.

14. corcaigh

corcaigh
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Horan, looks like a sale is on Monday morning for Bournemouth so booked the membership. Will hopefully getting sorted.

15. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

I have tried it three times this season in the late sale and haven't gotten it once. I'd say there's less than a 10% chance of being lucky in it, but it's better worth trying rather than paying a tout! The less touts, the more tickets available for us from LFC.

16. corcaigh

corcaigh
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Redman, better to try and fail I suppose. My main concern is to get my mate in the gates as it was my idea to go to the Bournemouth game and he’s never been to Anfield. He got a membership as well for Monday.

17. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

More tickets will pop up without notice from the club at any time during the day, after the late sale. A lot of people on here have been sorted for Palace recently due to that. But you would need to keep refreshing all day long, each day, and the tickets that pop up would be gone in a second. So you'd need to click fast!

18. Davex2irl

Davex2irl
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I went up to the ticket office an hour before KO for the Fulham game this season and managed to get a seat in the Kop on my membership card, I couldn't believe it.

Make sure you have ID with you.

19. cunnerz21

cunnerz21
    Expand Collapse

A few years ago I was taken for a ride by this guy ( https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/c...fans-tickets-that-did-not-exist-36973886.html). Had paid him for tickets and after being first promised them in advance of travel was told I had to meet a guy over there to collect cards. Of course there were no cards.
    After traveling over and being let down I ended up taking another risk outside the ground. Met the most suspect lookin fella you could imagine outside the grounds who offered me 4 paper tickets for £100 each. Ended up getting into his car and he drove about half a mile away from the stadium to exchange the tickets for money (as he said the cops had been clamping down. At that point wasn't sure if I was going to come out of the car alive but I went with it.. I ended up paying him for 2 tickets gave them to my two mates while the 2 of us remained in the car. The two mates went in and called to say they were legit and then I bought the remaining two. Apart from getting burned from the initial guy and paying over the odds for the tickets we did get it all worked out in the end and we all got in fine but wouldn't recommend it.
    After that experience I wouldn't buy from anyone who 1) I don't know or 2) is a well known member of irishkop. Hard not to take desperate/stupid decisions when you've paid for travel and accommodation though which is a scammers dream.

GaryMc likes this.