This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Budget 2020

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by GaryMc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Fags up 50c for 20.

Nothing else of note as far as I can see ;)

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Petrol and Diesel have been hit too, going up from midnight, I think I read somewhere it would be about €1 on a tank fill for a car.

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thought it was only Petrol from tonight and others to follow in 2020.

Time to get the Electic Cars thread up and running again

4. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I don’t smoke but I read a article yesterday after the budget was announced that a pack of cigarettes of the most popular brands are going to cost €13.50. Christ that’s some price.

My auld lad smokes and I remember him asking me to buy him before and them costing around the €8 mark. Some increase over the years .

5. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Seems to be more about investing money in different things. Only problem is I have no faith in improvement in any services no matter how much they put in. €17.4 billion in health but there will still be the same shit system, people on trolleys, waiting for 8 hours in A&E etc. Soul destroying. Country is supposed to be booming but the budgets are making us progressively worse off.

Stamp duty on commercial property up 1.5% from 6% to 7.5% and increase in Tax Threshold A for inheritances up from €320k to €335k but Thresholds B and C unchanged. You can still only get a gift or inheritance from a grandparent, sibling or uncle of €32,500 before paying 33% tax on the balance. That threshold was €54,254 ten years ago and the rate of tax then was 22%.

GaryMc likes this.
  6. Rossie96

Rossie96
    Expand Collapse

The "carbon tax" introduced is the worst possible way to go about it. Even though I live out west, I'm fortunate enough to be able to avail of public transport to get to/from work, but that's rarely the case for most other people. Even at that sometimes the bus simply won't show up in the morning, but I've got the train to fall back on then.
    It won't change habits in any meaningful way, while the big polluters still get off.