This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Budget 2017

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by babbsnads, Oct 9, 2017.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

What do yis think or what are you hoping for? A fair few kites out there already,changes in the USC and tax bands,rise in a few social welfare payments and a rise in stamp duty on land sales from 2 to 5%.

2. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Think the pint will go up.
    I think its been a while since it was hit

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The ABFI have been lobbying very hard for a 15% reduction in excise duty,claiming its already one of the highest in Europe and we're going to see a big rise in people crossing the border for alcohol with sterling the way it is(might have a point,Im heading up for me xmas gargle).I can't see them getting a reduction but I'd say their main goal is just to make sure its left alone.

4. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Hoefully Babbs

babbsnads likes this.
  5. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

I'm not an economist but by all accounts we are still doing the budget arseways and therefore it seems no lessons have been learned following the worst financial crisis in the history of the state. Give tax breaks when we are on a downward curve, not when we are on the way up. We perpetuate the same lurching from crisis to crisis, spending when we should be saving and vice versa.

babbsnads likes this.
  6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'd rather they didn't give us anything back to be honest, things are not as rosy as they Govt. are making it seem and I'd rather we made a huge push on with our infrastructure in this country rather than short sighted ideas just to buy votes for another election. FG may fancy that with a decent few tax cuts and SW increases that they could get a majority in a quick election next year.

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, the amount they will put in peoples pockets to buy these votes will be miniscule anyway.

edcarroll02 and Liverpool-law like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

25% cut in mortgage interest relief.That fiver a week FG/FF are giving middle income earners just dissapeared and more with it if you've been benefitting from that.It seems a lot of people who "get up early in the morning" will be down a few cuid after today.

Shane_90 likes this.
  9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's always been a bit of a strange scheme for me as they cancelled it completely at a point in time which meant that you had people who got in early who continued to benefit every year while everyone on the outside was left without it. Though I believe the HTB scheme which would not have been available to those with mortgage interest relief is to remain.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Whatever the pro's and con's of it mate,I would of really struggled without it.Its not as big an issue for me now because I got my tracker back but its going to really hurt a lot of people who this budget was supposedly aimed at helping.I suppose it could be worse and they could be doing away with it all now instead of phasing it out over 3 years but its just another example imo of how measures that dont seem to meaningfully help anybody are being funded in a backward way.

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sounds to me like this budget is more aimed at trying to create some space for them to spend heavy on social housing and they'll have to rejig the cards to pay for it. Increases in SW payments and tiny reductions in the tax bands and USC rates will eat up some money but I imagine they'll want to be seen to be going big on housing in this budget with the publicity the crisis has been getting. It's not where FG want to be spending their money but I don't think they could get away with it, espeically if they do intend on trying to win back a majority in the next 12-18 months.

12. Brendinho

Brendinho
    Expand Collapse

And as we approach full employment, increase welfare rates, wtf like :confused:

13. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Typical crap from blue shirts, why could they not focus on one section that really needs help, ie housing? I'm going to be €5/6 better off per week, I would rather that money go to housing and give me a better deal next year or the year after.

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Housing is an issue that cannot be fixed in the lifetime of this Government, by putting something small in the hands of most of the electorate they're more likely to win an election. The only people that would skip voting for them because of their poor record on the homeless are the homeless themselves and few die hards, most others will vote for whatever Government they expect will do right by them which is selfish of course but everyone usually looks out for themselves first. I actually expected more to be done on housing just from a PR point of view but they didn't really do anything much at all.

I too would have rathered they didn't bother wasting money giving back these tiny cuts on USC and tinkering with the bands but I also appreciate that I can't represent people that are on the breadline and perhaps these small changes will make some sort of difference to their lives (though it seems very unlikely)

15. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Was a bit of a none event.