This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brexit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Dub13, Apr 11, 2016.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Resigning over a deal you negotiated is a special kind of fucked up even for Brexit.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It was the exact same with Farage et Al after the election. Cause absolute chaos and run off into the sunset before the shit hits the fan then blame everyone else for making a mess of it.

3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I see it as they burned down their council house and have been offered a choice of a caravan or a tent, they chose the caravan and the chap that burned down the house is going mental because he wanted a bigger house.

Joedared likes this.
  4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Leadership challenge must be imminent ....

Long past time Boris stepped up and stopped just mouthing off from the sidelines.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

These resignations confirm a fundamental structural problem with the whole leave prospectus: it was a fantasy, and as such incompatible with the mundane fulfilment of ministerial responsibility. Raab has come to the same conclusion that David Davis and Boris Johnson reached earlier in the year: it is easier to be on the team that accuses the prime minister of failing to deliver majestic herds of unicorns than it is to be stuck with a portfolio that requires expertise in unicorn-breeding.

Loved this quote from the Guardian today!

6. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Quote heard on James O’Brien show on LBC:

Laugh and the world laughs with you
    Brexit and the world laughs at you.

Garrett likes this.
  7. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

I'm just waiting for the headlines on 6.01 on RTE to go something like....

"Another day - more Brexit.
    Truth be told - fcuk all has happened bar everyone finding new ways to spin their non agreement to everything from hard borders - to borders in the middle of the Irish sea ( might be tough building a barricade out there) - the fish and marine mammals believed to be drafting their letters of non agreement - to the color of Treasa Mays knickers.
    Tune in tomorrow when Paddy Power will be here to offer odds on the next MP deserting a sinking (sunk?) ship.
    The up side to all the resignations is Mavis the Tea lady in the Parliament cafe is rumoured to be up for promotion to foreign secretary and is looking forward to a trip to India to source her own tea"

8. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Now heres Clare with the sport

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I just can't believe that the British public haven't forced another referendum.

....surely, with such a close margin to begin with (52:48 as I recall), sufficient people have now woken up and realised what gobshites they were to vote in favour of Brexit, and now want to do a Uturn.

All the economic reports that have come out this week, telling them that no matter what happens, it's bad for the UK's economy, and still the penny hasn't dropped with many of them. Just incredible....

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Garrett the point of it is that they don't care about the economic losses, they don't care about unemployment or the pound falling, they just want their old empire back and are fundamentally happy to accept any fall out which results from it.

I think it's telling how unwilling any party is to commit publicly to calling for a second referendum, it's seen as toxic to even question the "people's vote" despite the fact that 48% of the population voted against it. I'll be very interested in the campaign promises when an election comes around when this current deal fails to see if anyone goes on a platform of a second referendum.

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

With the way things have gone Corbyn could of guaranteed leading the the next government by backing another referendum. Whatever principles he's sticking to by not backing it should of gone out the window for the greater good and he should remember two things...You can implement fuck all if you're not in power and reversing cuts and austerity is a lot harder when the economy is in the toilet.Hes been absolutely woeful on this issue.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

He fundamentally supports the idea of Brexit I think, not the fallout of it but the idea of having total control of their own affairs and is anti-EU at heart, it's a great tragedy that he'd let a personal bias stop him from acting logically on this issue but politicians are people and very prone to blindly pursuing their own agenda.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Not often though that politicians pursue agendas that decrease their chances of power and make the majority of their policies far harder to ever realise.I literally can't name another one who I believe would stick to any principle in the same circumstances. Even Ian Paisley became pragmatic when he realised he'd be left out in the cold if he didn't.

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Farage leaving UKIP as it's become too right wing and has rightly pointed out that it's basically become an anti Islamic party pioneering the case of Tommy Robinson, this guy seems to be washing his hands entirely of a situation that he unilaterally did more to create than any other person in the UK save for David Cameron but it's telling that he even thinks it's gone too far.

I look forward to seeing him line out for remain in the next election!

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I know very little about brexit and care even less but this made me giggle.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Ah yes straight out of the old Brittish playbook for dealing with unruly colonies, if they don't obey you starve them! The ignornance is frightening, especially from a lady of Indian heritage where starvation was also used to quell the masses.

liverpool4life likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

There's a lot of scumbags in that party but she's right up there.She's not ignorant to what she's saying,she's just a cunt who doesn't care about anything but her own interests. She's already shown she doesn't care about dead Palestinians so why would she care about Irish people? But like everything else that comes out of the mouths of Leave MP's,it's stupid and not a realistic tactic.We're one of the most food secure nations on the planet and stoking up nationalist sentiment in Ireland makes our government more like to stick to their guns on the North,especially with an election not far away. If the DUP had a clue they'd be on the other side of the argument,the Tories will sell them out first chance they get and its what the majority of English leave voters want them to do.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...o-pay-for-northern-ireland-1.3723855?mode=amp

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I just can't believe this stupidity continues ....

You'd think the people of the UK might start protesting (or dare I say, even go straight to rioting) like the lads in the yellow jackets over in France, as the impact of Brexit is going to be far more severe than what the French are rebelling about.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

May has cancelled the vote on her deal in parliament. Its been embarrassment after embarrassment for her all the way but this is the first time I can't see see her holding on,she's done.