This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brexit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Dub13, Apr 11, 2016.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

96% decline in the amount of nurses from the EU registering to work in Britain since the Brexit vote.

Dub13 likes this.
  2. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

https://www.belfastairport.com/blog...ajor-advertising-drive-in-republic-of-ireland

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

On a purely commercial basis, Belfast Airport are dead right.. if they can offer flights at better prices, or shorter commute times from peoples homes etc. then why not ?

.. that said, it'll be a pain in the ar$e for anyone who doesn't have UK passport come Brexit so I suppose they may aswell make hay while the sun shines etc.

4. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Makes perfect business sense and no doubt others will do the same
    It's just the start!

5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine the supermarkets up North will be all over the tv advertising in the next few months.. cheap sterling means it's worth the trip across the boarder, particularly if your' looking to fill your boot with some booze along the way and Tesco, Sainsbury's etc. are having a wine sale or whatever.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They should be doing it already if you ask me, the Sterling is at a record low the past 8 or 9 months and if they're not capitalising on that then it's a bit daft. The issue that some people seem to have is that they're using Brexit as an advertisment for it even though people in the north voted against it but sure that's "PC Gone Mad" (sorry Babbs if you're reading this :) ).

In truth the only thing that people will consider when flying out is where the best value is and where is closer (in that order too I'd say). I've often gotten connections that have added considerably onto my journey if it would save me a good bit of cash and I'd happily drive to another airport if I could achieve the same. Everything being priced in pounds for the flights in and out and that extra hassle will put quite a few people off it so there'd have to be a very clear saving before people would consider it but if they can achieve that then I've no issue with them chasing down this market. I don't think it's aimed at people in Dublin either way as it would be a 2 hour drive for me to get there which would involve driving right past Dublin Airport so it would need to be a serious deal to lure me to it.

Garrett and babbsnads like this.
  7. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

The German finance minister basically said today that we could tear up the letter and forget about everything.

Must be tempting

8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Simple & sensible !

The more that the entire Brexit gig continues, the more people must be able to see what a badly thought out and stupid idea it is ? ... even those who want to split from Europe, must be completely pi$$ed off with how it's been handled to date and the absence of any clear plan for how Britain will exit and what it's priorities are for agreement with Europe, what it will do post EU etc.

Even Sky News (who I would consider a pro-tory broadcaster, were interviewing commentators about tomorrow's papers and both commentators, plus the presenter, were all talking about what a complete mess the entire thing is, how they were uncertain what the public really wants and so on.

..... I fear the problem now is that Mrs. May is far too stubborn to even contemplate holding another referendum on Brexit - despite the fact that the recent election has only given her a less conclusive direction from the public than she had two months earlier etc.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I can't really remember but we're labour pro or anti Brexit? It would seem to me that the majority still backed the Tory Govt who have adopted a headline Brexit stance since the referendum so the majority have still indicated they support the concept, I'd be interested in another referendum.

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

As I recall, Labour were anti-Brexit but thy were so low key about it that they may aswell have been neutral etc.

Agree entirely on the question of another referendum. Because it was a close result in the beginning, there was always going to be some doubt over it and particularly when people started talking about the level of turnout for the referendum, the lack of clarity and understanding about exactly what impact it would have on people in the UK etc.

Then there's the fact that they have made such an incredible mess of it to date, that I'd say a notable percentage of people who voted for it last time, have gone off the idea so might vote the other way, if given another chance.

Interesting to see the French lad Macron also making a comment about the UK still being able to scrap Brexit - it must be part of the EU strategy, that the likes of France and Germany are still reminding the UK that it's not too late to change their minds and stay in. Only problem is, I think their current PM is too pigheaded to actually consider another referendum and the possibility of the UK changing it's mind and remaining within the UK.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Labour were anti-Brexit as far as I can recall, but they made little or no real impact (or effort ?)

I'd also love another referendum and I'd expect that at this stage, some who voted for Brexit have had a change of mind, given how badly it's been managed to date, the lack of a clear plan even now, the reality of some of the negative impacts on the UK starting to hit home etc.

If the current prime minister wasn't so pigheaded, she'd call a second referendum. There's always been doubt about what the UK's population really wanted, given the marginal difference between the stay and remain results from the referendum, then there's the question of turnout at that referendum and if people in the UK really understood the full implications. Then obviously there's the recent election and what that should be telling her about people's views on the current situation, how the conservatives have been going about it etc.

Interesting that both Germany and now France have both made references to the UK still having the option to terminate their plans for Brexit, clearly strategic from the EU but also, a good thing - if only the UK would stop and consider it.

There's also now a further interesting and important point to consider - if the DUP get into bed with the Conservatives, then the DUP should be doing whats best for NI. While the DUP campaigned for Brexit as I recall, the majority of the North's population voted to remain in the EU. So there is significant argument for the DUP demanding another referendum on Brexit, or otherwise acting to keep the NI population in the EU.... but obviously the odds of that are realistically zero, given it's what the DUP wanted, so to hell with the people of NI. I fear the DUP are more likely to try and introduce a law to have the edge of all footpaths in NI painted red, white and blue or something equally unhelpful.

#311 Garrett, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Labour or more accurately Corbyn were criticised for not campaigning strongly enough against Brexit but their campaign if you followed it closely was just as strong as the Tories,it just wasn't getting the same coverage and I don't think there's any doubt at this stage that the MSM have never treated Corbyn fairly,if there was shit to be flung they'd fling it,no matter how spurious.

At the same time I think there is many elements of EU membership that Corbyn would be happy to do without,he'll have issues with the neoliberal model of the EU and his weakness as a politician(or strength,depends on how you see it)is he doesn't tailor his arguments enough to what he's trying to achieve.Its easy to paint that as not strong enough on a particular subject when it's probably just being honest and consistent,whereas its nothing to a Boris Johnson or a Teresa May to contradict the things they were saying the day before.An honest argument on the EU would be,yes there's plenty of things I don't agree with but we're still better in than out but there wasn't really much room for that kind of nuance.If you weren't whacking blatant lies on the side of a bus,you weren't trying.A lot of remainers on social media didn't think he should of accepted the result either and he should have thwarted it in parliament when he had the opportunity to.

13. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi Babbs,

I'd agree with you on the initial point about the media and Corbyn and in truth, I'd blame both sides to a certain degree (more media though). But having said that, I think the recent election has seen that situation change... not least because much of the pro-tory media have realised that their party leader is making a balls of Brexit, while Corbyn is proving better than many (including myself) first gave him credit for.

That said, even now, Corbyn's not doing enough to make life (even more) difficult for the conservatives imho. Having made good progress in getting key important messages across in the run up to the election, I think he should now be applying massive public pressure on the conservatives to get certain policies amended (or scrapped), as part the government reflecting the will of the people etc. While the election is over, it's far from time for him to take his foot off their necks....

14. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

15. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Must admit, that having thought about that one for a minute or two, I've actually got mixed views on it.....

My initial reaction was much the same as your own mate, I first thought that Gerry got a good laugh out of the Dail yesterday when he mentioned going to pilates with Leo, but this definitely wasn't a good follow up if he was looking to get another laugh out of people.

I also believe the time has come for the SF MP's to take their seats at Westminster and represent the people of NI in a political way - essentially as an extension of the way they have already been doing things in the NI Assembly (which is ultimately an off-shot of Westminster anyway). So, let them go there first, before they start looking to get time in the Dail (where they are not elected representatives of the population who voted in a RoI election - regardless of anyone's political views).

Then I was thinking, in terms of trying to encourage more "normal" political interaction between North & South, particularly with a view to starting to show the Unionists that RoI is actually interested in a united Ireland that would include them on an equal basis and give them a taste for what politics might be like in a united Ireland. When I look at it from this point of view, having different politicians from NI speaking in the Dail on relevant topics could well be a good thing - both in terms of breaking down the barriers, but also in terms of getting more input from politicians representing NI residents who might be affected by certain issues etc.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The Dail is enough of a circus as things stand without this kind of carry on. They are elected to represent the people of the north who whether they like it or not are under the parliament of the UK, they either accept that and take their seats in Westminster or they run for election in the 26 counties as all other representatives of the 26 counties our parliament governs do

I see the gist of your point Garrett but I disagree that this is anything but SF causing a bit of a stir for the sake of it, the DUP are getting into power in the UK and they're terrified of being marginalised and want to be able to say to their electorate that we will represent you somewhere because at the moment a vote for SF is a vote for no real representation.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Never realised that being an EU citizen doesn't automatically give you the right to live in another EU country unconditionally.If any country chooses to enforce it,you can stay for 3 months and if at the end of that time period you can't prove you're not a burden on the state,financially or otherwise,that country is entitled to deport you back to your country of origin.Countries choose not to enforce it because the cost would put a hole in the net profit the exchequer makes from immigration.Britain also allows more immigrants from outside the EU than within,something they had full control over all along and now they're negotiating in Europe where their main focus is trying to secure things they already have as members of the EU. If their was a point to this whole thing beyond keeping David Cameron in power (fuckin scumbag)then I've no idea what it was.

On a side note,David Davis has eased fears for anybody who was worried about the introduction of mandatory identity cards."They won't be identity cards,they'll be cards of identification". Stupid cunt.

18. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Says it all really, doesn't it.

19. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Its good to see the Irish government starting to take a harder postion on this.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Yup,

Leo did well with that one... basically told the Tories that it's there problem so they need to figure out how to make it work (and what was worse, then implied that they'd be presenting their plans for ourselves and the rest of the EU to decide upon :D).

I really don't know what the solution is mind you....

• A hard border between ROI and NI is a disaster, which I think / hope no one wants.
    • A soft / invisible border seems to be a fiction of someones imagination, doesn't seem workable tbh
    • A border in the Irish sea, between the island of Ireland and the rest of the UK means that NI have to go through border control when dealing with the rest of the UK. Apparently NI is running a trade deficit of £10bn a year, so a border with the rest of the UK (it's biggest trading partner) would only make this a bigger problem and not one we can afford to really supplement to any large degree.
    If the Tories were not such a bunch of pompous, arrogant thicks they'd just go and have a second referendum on exiting Brexit, which I believe the remainers would win and then it's problem solved (along with many other problems they've made for themselves as a result of Brexit).

#320 Garrett, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017