This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brendan Rodgers - Former Liverpool Manager

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by RedArmagh, May 30, 2012.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Celtic are a massive club however the standard of football up there is League One over the last few years. Maybe with the Gers back up there, better players might want to move up there.

Will be interesting to see what players he can get in. The current squad would do nothing in Europe and that has to be what he is going there for. loan bid for Joe Allen :D

Hope he does well

2. Rossie

Rossie
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Best of luck to Brendan at Celtic, hope he gets them playing attractive, attacking football and achieves some European success as well. Still think he can be a good manager in a few years time when he's got more experience on his CV.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I read tonight that it is only a 12 month Rolling contract for Rodgers and Celtic . Interesting i found it .

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Its not that they mean a great deal to me as such mate, so please don't read too much into me having said that I felt like a bit of a neutral fan going along to a friendly (if thats what I said, sorry I genuinely can't recall but I'm not denying it either).

Anyway, to answer your question, I think BR can do well there in terms of the Scotish League, but my post from other day shows what I was really thinking, because of Celtics dominant position on Scotland, he's going to have the opportunity of European football most years, so could make a name for himself on the international scene, if he does well in European competitions.

Yea, heard that somewhere myself.

I wonder was that at his request, or the clubs ?

5. RMG

RMG
    Expand Collapse

Celtic have been doing that for a while, apparently.

Good deal for both, he should do well there. Not sure how he'll get on in Europe though.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Think it's a bit of a hiding to nothing job but I wish him all the best.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The fans expect European success for a team with the relative strength of a championship team, it's a very difficult job alright and especially when you might say that Rogers weakest point is his tactical nous for European competition.

Could really get them playing a nice exciting brand of football though which might brighten up the SPL a bit.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That would basically be the way I see it but you never know,maybe with Rangers back up winning the league might carry some kudos.Gut feeling though is that there's much more scope to damage his reputation than enhance it.

9. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Surprised by this. Can only think the offers open to him weren't as wide and varied as was claimed. Celtic is a career break or a retirement fund, it's not the place for anyone with ambitions.

Best of luck to him and them.

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I was actually thinking the reverse, if he could do well with them (relatively speaking) in Europe, on the assumption that they'd get some form of European football most years over the next 3 -4 years, it might help his standing amongst managers internationally.

11. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

What is the barometer of European success in Celtic's case, would it be just to get the team to the Europa League group stage?

12. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

Champions League group stage would be the aim I would imagine. Realistic? I'm not sure, but that's where they would be aiming.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Celtic players League One bottom of the Championship quality. The best managers in the world would have a challenge getting Celtic into the group stages.

Maybe with Rangers back in it some decent players might join.

Apart from Gordon, Brown and Griffiths not sure I could name another player

14. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Six qualifying matches to get to Champions League group stage is a big ask in my opinion.

Last season when the 1st Old Firm game took place for years, I watched it. Football was terrible, but the thing that most struck me was that there were no longer any foreign players playing for either side, such a contrast with 10 years ago. As far as I am aware the wages that Celtic/Rangers players receive is tiny in comparison to English Championship teams. TV money is almost non-existent also compared to the Championship.

15. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Good luck to him and I hope it works out for all concerned

16. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

Well with Rangers back it's a 2 team league again, no players with any ambition will go there. European football is basically 3 qualifying rounds I just can't see any point being up there. It sounds to me when the Swansea job fell through he had an oh shit moment and realised he had no real offers and had to jump at something. Celtic are a big name but they are an average championship level team dominating in a mickey mouse league. Even being successful you'll still get the 'Well it's just Scotland' comments.

17. gowinit6times

gowinit6times
    Expand Collapse

Thought he might have had 1 or 2 offers from PL clubs but when there was no obvious job for him, he had to make a decision to get back into management or become a forgotten man picking up media work. It might well be a job that will work well for both parties. Helps Rodgers get a few trophies on his cv and play some European football and will help Celtic with their aim of improving on their limited resources through good coaching structures.

18. Pimboli

Pimboli
    Expand Collapse

Well a lot of fans have given most of the credit for the fantastic football we players in our 'nearly' season now to Suarez and not Rodgers give how progressively bad the football got under him once Suarez left so this is a fresh chance for him to prove he can get a side playing good attacking football with very little pressure as the Scottish league is so poor even on a really bad day you expect Celtic to be able to turn over almost every team.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Personally I think anyone who has a half decent understanding of football or no major agenda is happy to give Rodgers his dues for his part in 13/14.

GaryMc and Niall like this.
  20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Europa, yes....

CL might be a little ambitious, given the standard Celtic play at these days. As others have already said, with Rangers returning to the PL, it might put pressure on Celtic to up their game and and with a few of the right players, the CL Group stage might be achievable (although I couldn't see any further than that, without some extremly good fortune).