This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brendan Rodgers - Former Liverpool Manager

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by RedArmagh, May 30, 2012.

1. Clerk

Clerk
    Expand Collapse

Excellent article -- he's doing a super job now. Really delighted with his tactical nous and bringing the kids in and the freeflowing stuff at Anfield is a joy to watch. Considering he hasn't exactly had a lot to spend compared to his rivals too. Really impressed with him.

I was talking to an Arsenal fan today and he said that Liverpool have come on so much in such a short time it's unreal.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

First 64 games-
    Won 32
    Drew 18
    Lost 14
    Goals for 137
    Against 75
    Points 114

Rafa's first 64 games
    Won 32
    Drew 13
    Lost 19
    Goals for 84
    Against 58
    Points 109

Just saw this on twitter. A lot of variables in the challenges faced by both managers but I thought it was interesting all the same.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi mate,

Notwithstanding the point you make about there being a lot of variables to consider, the stats do help show how well both Brendan and the team are doing alright.

Fingers crossed, there'll be a lot more positive stats to come in the months and years ahead :)

4. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

I saw this comment somewhere a few weeks ago, and it struck me. Been thinking about it ever since. Ignoring Ferguson the man, and the club he managed - what do people think of this? When one compares the two, it's easy see some similarities particularly in management style (getting the best from those available) and some of his tactics, etc.

And what if the manager the mancs needed to perfectly fill the boots of their predecessor was on Merseyside after all - just it wasn't Moyes. I wonder if in a couple of years time we'll look back and laugh?

I'm getting a little ahead of myself there, but it's a nice thought for the day :)

5. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

Tactically I think we are more similar to a Ferguson team then a guardiola team with our counter attacking style.
    I think it shows the ability of Rodgers to fit the system to the players at his disposal rather than the other way around. Its this ability to adapt that has convinced me he's a top drawer manager.

6. Daz

Daz
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

seen his post games comments last night for the first time in relation to us giving the ball back when Suraez could / should have had a pen. Not too sure many other managers would have been as straight about it as BR was

7. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

Well said - ditto mate.

8. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

That point you highlighted is a point I made towards this time last season and was ridiculed for suggesting that he alters his system to suit players available

9. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

Fair play for recognising such mate. I think a lot of that probably comes down to initial expectations as per my original quote and worries on where it was all going - most expected him to behave based on what we were told to anticipate from his style (ala a Guardiola type). The reality is he has been adapting his preferred system around the squad that's available to him. Which as you and others intimate is a very good thing.

10. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

what did he say ?

11. bono

bono
    Expand Collapse

Was asked about the Suarez Peno incident & BR said that he thought we should have given the ball back from the throw before the Peno incident.
    Went to say that he thought the players just got caught up in the game but on the Peno incident it's self he thought it was a Peno but we should have given the ball back basically.

12. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

On the throw in incident it was Johnson who played on Suarez rolled the ball to the side line and Johnson took it and played on and rightly so as Flores was play acting :D

13. Redondo

Redondo
    Expand Collapse

Imagine 18 months ago asking a neutral fan what they thought about Brendan Rodgers and David Moyes. I'm sure you would have been told that one manager was a fraud who was lucky to have found his way into a top job, while the other was a Midas-like figure who was exceeding expectations.

The funny thing is, you'd probably get the same answer today, albeit with the descriptions reversed. The David Brent jibes have quietened down now and there seems to be a wider appreciation of what he's actually doing for Liverpool now. As the excellent post above points out, there's only been 8 league defeats in the past year. Another angle - 108 league goals since January 2013. Biblical stuff.

Here's another interesting statistic - Rodgers' Swansea picked up more points in the 11/12 season than Laudrup's Swansea did in the 12/13 season. Not to discredit their League Cup win and Europa League run, but there's not much evidence to suggest that Laudrup improved what he inherited from Rodgers. Arguably, they've gone backwards without him - they're currently 4 points clear of the relegation zone.

14. Jockser

Jockser
    Expand Collapse

[YOUTUBE]T2igFS-o3sw[/YOUTUBE] interesting to hear his thoughts on the defending

15. le songmeister

le songmeister
    Expand Collapse

SMA or Cow & Gate, that is the question? ;)

16. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Ha ha:D

17. Captain_Morgan

Captain_Morgan
    Expand Collapse

Ooohhhhh risky haha

18. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Took me a while but I got there in the end. :D

19. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Straight over my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

How lucky are we that we have Brendan as our manager? Doing an unbelievable job. We are as enjoyable to watch as I can remember in my adult life. Thank you Brendan.