This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Boxing Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Shay, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Canelo v GGG announced this morning for September 16th after Canelo won on points in Vegas.

2. maloneavic

maloneavic
    Expand Collapse

Canelo destroyed your man to, won every round and every judge gave it to him by 120-108.
    Hopefully the fight will live up to the hype it will get but i think it will and its come at a great time to cause both men are in their peak unlike the way Mayweather avoided Manny for years.

Joseph parker won over the weekend to but again the guy he fought was awful and always a miss match, i really think he is so over rated and has yet to fight anyone half decent.

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I'd really have no interest in boxing but might watch the odd fight.

The BBC NI series Fight Game: The McGuigans has been very interesting and good television, the final episode of three is on next Wednesday night at 22:40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r6xrc

4. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Michael Conlan wins again last night. Third round stoppage .

5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

George Groves finally world champion. Great fight.

megager likes this.
  6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Kell Brook loses. Went down with a eye injury in the 11th round. Went down to his knee and didn't get back up on time for the count.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Watching Kell Brooks interview there and it seems like his bottle has gone.Talked about how the doctor told him after the Golovkin fight that if he'd kept fighting he could of went blind and it was in his head last night.It was the other eye last night so it's hard to see where he goes from here.It's unusual to see a boxer in a world title fight take a knee like that and basically quit.I've the greatest of respect for anybody brave enough to get into a ring but can you continue at the top level with that kind of worry about getting hurt?

8. maloneavic

maloneavic
    Expand Collapse

To be fair it was probably his long term eyesight that played the part of him taking a knee . Had he finished the fight he could have done serious injury to his eye plus it was the other eye socket that was smashed up this time . Frank Bruno was told to that he could go blind if he kept on boxing. His bottle is defo not gone tho you just have to look at the golovkin fight to see that . Anyone that says he just quit hasn't a clue I think .
    He should probably go back up to light middleweight as weight cutting is tough and very risky to .

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Me saying his bottle has gone is probably a harsh way of putting it but I'm comparing him to other fighters at that level.If you're in a world title fight most are almost willing to die to keep or win that belt and when he has doctors advice from his last fight making his decisions for him you'd have to wonder how he can continue at that level.I don't blame him for thinking like that but in that game if you're not willing to go to the same lengths as any other fella who can match your ability,it's pointless getting into the ring.There's a thousand fighters out there who aren't taking a knee in that situation.

10. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Good win for Paddy Barnes last night. Now he WBO European Champion of the world.

Also Andre Ward picked up the win last night too over Sergey Kovalev by TKO to retain WBA, WBO & IBF Light Heavyweight titles. He has some record having beaten Abraham
    Kessler
    Froch
    Kovalev x2

11. maloneavic

maloneavic
    Expand Collapse

Thought the referee was awful tho and he's a top one to with years of experience. No doubt kovalev was badly hurt in the 8th and he might have got stopped but he was still in the fight and defending himself .
    Defo a low blow in the 7th and at least two that finished the fight . Why he even stopped the fight is beyond me . Not even a count or anything he just waved it off .
    Be tough to see were kovalev goes from here now .

Stevie S likes this.
  12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I guess in the "PC Gone Mad" world that we live in there's nothing that can be used as an insult anymore without it being bigoted against someone. Seems like this author is really going out of his way to be offended, such is his right of course but I'm not that offended. Neither would I be if some fighter that was promoting a fight against Conor used some kind of slur against the Irish to get at Conor, it's just a game they're playing.

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The whole premise of the article is that people are ignoring what McGregor is saying and he's right,they are because I had no idea he'd said any of those things which seems strange in a world where PC has gone mad.Also can bigoted comments be put in the "context" you suggest, ie. "I'm promoting a fight so it's OK to say these things"? Remember it's not what you or I are offended by,I lived in England and worked in an environment where I faced those type of comments every day of the week,never took a feather out of me.But there's definitely people would be offended by the things said to me and they'd be entitled to be offended as you've alluded to. So I suppose I'm asking where do we draw the line on bigotry?I'm sure you can easily think of a situation where somebody saying the things McGregor has,as bigoted.So why is it alright for him because he's promoting a fight but not alright for others in other situations?

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Babbs but I don't think that is what the crux of the article is (and I don't believe the author as suggested it as innocent as that), to be honest I think the author has had to make a massive leap to claim that he believes (probably so his whole article would make some sense instead of just a faux claim to fame on the back of McGregors popularity) that it is not just bravado to sell a fight but is a reflection of who he is and how he feels. That is a point that is interesting in the article and the rest is nonsense to me. So you either come down on one side of the fence, you agree with whoever Shaun King is that he is right that McGregor is a bigot or a racist or you believe that he's just promoting a fight and this whole thing is rehearsed. Personally I think that McGregor is the absolute master of self promotion (promotion of any kind more likely) and the whole thing is a show, there's nothing I've heard from anywhere that suggests that anything he does in MMA is anything other than promotion for his fights.

I'll be honest I think the author is scratching away for a way to link himself to McGregor to improve his own ratings though I don't know anything about him and maybe he really does believe that McGregor isn't doing this to sell fights but is in fact a bigot. Only those who know him best can honestly answer this.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think we'll both agree that hes saying nobody is really highlighting these things McGregor is saying,and he's calling him out as a bigot.But even if we disagree on which of those points is the main premise of the article,you're still ignoring the main question.Is it OK to use bigoted language to sell a fight and If so,why? This fight might break box office records and that will be based on the build up more than anything else,which will mean it reaches a huge audience.If it is then I take it its fair game for him to use racial slurs against Mayweather too.I'll also say I don't need to come down on the authors side and agree McGregor is a bigot,to realise thone things he said are definitely bigoted and raise the question why it's acceptable in this context.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Babbs I really can't take this article seriously and I think the whole thing is inflated massively. Like the below, McGregor didn't aim it at Aldo, he calls everyone in the fight game bums compared to him, the author is creating his own context. Another of them accuses McGregor of referring to coloniasm with his quote about coming into his farvella on a horse - Aldo himself played on the fighter from the farvella storyline his whole career, you can't have it both ways, again a direct attack on Aldo not a sweeping statement against Brazillians or hispanics as the author is trying to indicate. The Reebok sweatshop was in bad taste as Brazil does have a massive problem with poverty but again I don't see it as racist but that might be wrong on my part, the fact that I can't remember Brazillians going crazy about it probably says enough for me that he's not offended too many.

McGregor also said of Aldo, in an apparent joke targeting Latinos, "I think I'm going to have him come and clean up my airplane."

The coakroach thing is way over my head, I didn't know that it was an insult against Latino's, might be author clutching at straws again or it might be real, I just honestly don't know it as a racist insult. Cholo is again way over my head, Googled it to see what came up and it was a gang in GTA or something. (loved McGregors comment about Diaz being a gangster by day and making baloon animals by night too by the way.....not sure where that leaves me in the greater scheme of things)

Babbs I am probably missing the point of this whole article because I dont' see offence in it and I think the author has made massive leaps on most of what he has said but we are in generation get offended.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think you're deflecting here mate.I'm not offended by a word I've heard or read McGregor say and I say things in my everyday life on a regular basis that could rightly be considered bigoted,racist,sexist or homophobic.I know I'm none of those things but I also know it would be perfectly reasonable for anybody who heard me to assume I was and also perfectly reasonable for somebody to be offended by those things.The same way I know the author saying at least some of those things McGregor said are bigoted,is a perfectly reasonable response because they are but you're determined to put it solely down to a society looking to be offended even though these type of articles are like hens teeth.

Forget the article or who you think has the right to be offended by these comments for a second(everybody has the right to be offended by bigoted comments by the way,whether they're the target or not).Is it OK to use bigoted language to sell a fight and If yes,why?

bobby benitez likes this.
  18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Hard to answer it in as exact a question as that, if you asked me is it okay to use language to sell a fight that is not acceptable in every day life then I would agree that the answer is yes it is unacceptable. I don't expect Conor would get away with calling Mayweather a ni**er or saying that he's going to send him back to the cotton fields of Alabamba. I guess we're into the severity of what is being said, the author seems to be the type that would make life a chore for anything anyone wants to say, his Wikipedia describes him as an Entrepreneur, Pastor, Activist & Writer.

His article might reverberate with me a bit more if it didnt' come across as so misleading by suggesting Conor had said things that he had not in fact said. For me it's hard to look past that but

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Your dislike of the author aside Ed, McGregor said those things.Again I'm not offended but you honestly don't see why somebody would be by things like "If this was another time I'd ride through his favella on my horse and kill anybody whose not fit to work" or "I want to turn his favella into a Reebok sweatshop"? It's not even debatable whether calling a Latino a cholo gangster is racial stereotyping,even if he can have plausible deniability with calling the Diaz's cockroaches (I'm with you there,that could mean anything or nothing)but when you go down the racial stereotyping path,again it's probably to be expected people will make those links.But for the most part,that is language that is unacceptable in everyday life.If a politician said any of those things he'd be destroyed in the media and nobody with an ounce of intelligence would think it wasn't deserved.I'm not suggesting that McGregor should be held to the standards politicians are,that would be stupid but my point is,if a politician can be correctly accused of racism/bigotry,whatever for saying those things,then they must be racist/bigoted comments.So when it comes down to it,everybody is signing off on racism/bigotry but it's OK because it's to draw interest so money can be made.

I suppose we'll see how he handles the build up to this one,he doesn't have to go to the n word or slavery to racially insult or stereotype a black man,and whether it offends Mayweather or not will be beside the point if he does go there.Him or us don't get to decide what's racist or not by not taking offence and somebody going too far the other way (like you think this author has)doesn't make a difference either mate.What gets said gets said,and that won't change depending on the reaction to it.

bobby benitez likes this.