This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Andre Wisdom

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Niall, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Andre Wisdom today committed his long-term future to Liverpool Football Club by signing a new contract at Melwood.

The 19-year-old put pen to paper on his deal at the Reds' training complex on Wednesday morning.

Moments after signing, Wisdom told Liverpoolfc.com: "It's a great honour to sign a new contract at the club and I'm very happy.

"It was an easy decision to make - as soon as they offered it to me, I grabbed the opportunity with both hands because it's a great club and I just want to continue to play for Liverpool.

"I am happy with the progress I've made so far and hopefully I can progress more in the second half of the season and continue to keep playing.

"There's still so much hard work ahead. There is big competition within the team and everyone wants to play football. I just hope I can keep progressing and continue in the way I have been."

This season has been a breakthrough campaign for Wisdom, with the powerful defender establishing himself in the first-team set-up under Brendan Rodgers.

The No.47 marked his senior debut with a goal against Young Boys in September and has since made a further 13 appearances for Liverpool.

Managing director Ian Ayre said: "It's fantastic news. It's another great example of a player committing to the club and what we're trying to achieve under Brendan.

"He's a great young player, shown a fantastic improvement, broken into the first team and made a huge contribution - and rightly so, we've provided him with a new contract and a long term one.

"Getting talent like him, Raheem and others to commit at this point is absolutely essential to the future.

"The manager, the owners and everyone have said the key is to build something for the long term - and young players are a catalyst to that. None more so than Andre.

"He's come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so and that's because of all the hard work he's put in and the manager giving him a chance, so it's absolutely essential players like that commit themselves to the club."

Wisdom follows the likes of Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Suso, Raheem Sterling, Brad Jones and Jonjo Shelvey in committing his future to the club since the summer.

2. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

Well deserved

3. No Name

No Name
    Expand Collapse

Good news! Very strong defender. Shows an awful lot of maturity in his game for a 19 year old, thats for sure!

4. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Andre, congratulations - how does it feel to sign a new long-term deal with Liverpool Football Club?

Thank you. It's a great honour to sign a new contract at the club and I'm very happy.

How does it feel to commit your future to one of the biggest clubs in world football at the age of just 19?

It was an easy decision to make - as soon as they offered it to me, I grabbed the opportunity with both hands because it's a great club and I just want to continue to play for Liverpool.

14 first-team appearances so far this season - are you happy with the progress you've made?

I am happy so far and hopefully I can progress more in the second half of the season and continue to keep playing. But yeah, I'm happy.

Still plenty of hard work ahead for you, though...

Yes, definitely. There's so much hard work [ahead]. There is big competition within the team and everyone wants to play football. I just hope I can keep progressing and continue in the way I have been.

How much of an influence has Brendan Rodgers been on you since he arrived at the club, both on and off the pitch?

The manager has been brilliant. He gave me my debut in the Europa League, my Premier League debut and my cup debut, so he's been a great help. Off the pitch, he's given good advice to the likes of myself and a few others, so he's been a great influence on me.

How much confidence has the faith Brendan has been willing to instil in the young players given you?

It's always good when the manager gives us the opportunity to go and play. We have to show both him and the fans what we can do.

With regards to your teammates, playing and training alongside the likes of Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel, how much has that helped you?

I've said on many occasions that they are a great help and there's a lot to learn from them, and also from the likes of [Glen] Johnson and [Jose] Enrique. Playing alongside those players, you can only get better.

Do you think you've improved since you broke into the first team?

Yes, definitely. I think I am improving every day in training and then when you play, there's always room for improvement. Even just watching from the bench, there are things you can learn and pick up.

What would you say the hardest challenge has been for you so far since getting into the first team?

To keep humble because you can get carried away thinking, 'I'm in the first team', and start relaxing. You've got to keep going and there is always room for improvement. You have to work hard in training, continue to do the right things, prepare well and try to get better.

That competition in training must really keep everyone on their toes...

Yes, definitely. In training, everyone gets on really well, we all want to win and so there's a good tempo and everyone is working really hard to try and get selected for the weekend. That's good - you need that in the team.

You've been at Liverpool for a few years now and progressed through the Academy. How grateful are you for the support the club have given you?

I am so thankful to everybody at the club. I've had big help from the managers of the reserve and youth teams, such as the likes of Rodolfo [Borrell]. He's helped me in the reserve team so I have to give big credit to him. So yes, I have to give a lot of thanks to everyone.

Did your Academy days give you a good grounding for the first team?

Definitely. It was good at the Academy - everyone got along well and we went away on some good tournaments and things like that. They were good experiences to prepare you for when you do hopefully make the step up.

A new long-term contract, a regular in the first-team squad and an England U21 international... what's next for Andre Wisdom?

Just to continue playing football, keep learning and hopefully play well, get selected and keep progressing.

Finally, a word on the Liverpool fans - what has their support meant to you?

It's massive. When you're playing at Anfield or away, the support they give you is unreal. They continue to give you praise and tell you keep going, so I have to say a big thanks to them.

5. LayneVedder

LayneVedder
    Expand Collapse

Great to hear. Have to say I'm a fan of this lad.

He's very solid for such a young lad. Still some experience needed alright but I feel a lot more comfortable with him at right back and Johnson at left back than having Downing at left back.

He will have some competition when everyone is back fit again.

Great to see so many players commit to the club in the last few months.

6. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Very wise decision by the club

7. No Name

No Name
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

:D

8. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Great news he's a quality young player who will only get better

9. masterbenji

masterbenji
    Expand Collapse

Delighted for the lad..he's put in some decent performances

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Big day for wisdom,signs a new contract with lpool and gets his own thread on irishkop.

11. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

What is his correct position? Is it left back or centre back?

12. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Centre

13. Collie8

Collie8
    Expand Collapse

He is a centre half and has played there coming through the youth teams. I also saw him play Centre Mid in a youth cup game a couple of years ago. Versatile young man

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Interesting question, for me the lad has been so good at full back that I would consider him to be a full back. What he wants to be might be different but he's fantastic there so I see no reason to use him elsewhere.

15. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse

Great news. Along with Sterling, he's been a real success story for the club this season. Only 19 and already looks a confident and strong defender.

16. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Delighted for the Monster of a lad.

17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

One of the benefits of having an inexperienced squad is that the likes of Wisdom, Sterling and Suso have got their breaks. Better these lads getting their chance than the likes of Bosingwa, Malouda and Joe Cole coming in on fat contracts for one last payday

18. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

Has all the attributes to be a top player. Delighted.

19. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The club showing great Wisdom in giving him a contract

20. Decky4

Decky4
    Expand Collapse

Great prospect. Delighted that he has committed to club.