This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Niall, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Defo building some form, hopefully he can avoid a spell on the sidelines which ur always expecting to happen.

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

He seems like a really good guy, he puts in the effort, he's got a great burst of pace, and we certainly needed the extra body in midfield lately and he stepped up. I just don't think he has enough end product. Likeable in every way but when everyone is fit he doesn't get a look in for me. Good backup.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I don't think end product is as important for our midfielders as it is for other teams,Wijnaldum is a good example of that.

4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

When looking at it from that perspective then I would say he takes too much out of the ball and doesn't give it to the guys who deliver the end product quickly/often enough. Either way, when all fit, he isn't on the team sheet for me.

5. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Handy squad player when fit and in form.
    Unfortunately that's not as often as hoped.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't be near my best 11 either but I wouldn't agree with the rest.

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

He's seems to be sprinting more, it's something I would only associate with him in really big games but he seems to be doing it in "normal" games too. Outside of Fab I'm not all that concerned by who gets the other 2 spots, Henderson, Ox, Thiago, Elliott, Jones and Keita, I'd obviously have a preference for a CL final but overall I don't think there is that much between them. In recent weeks Ox has elevated himself out of the category he had all to himself, that being the only name I didn't want to see on the teamsheet.

Pfoley likes this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd say if you ignore horses for courses in certain games,our best midfield 3 stands out a mile. Fabinho,Henderson,Thiago.

vodkacolly likes this.
  9. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

When I said he had no end product/took too much out of the ball, I have seen him run into blind alleys/dead ends with the ball more than any other of our midfielders and he has played a tiny fraction of their time. Which says to me he is not making the right decisions consistently and giving the ball to the players who do the damage before he overruns it and loses possession.

babbsnads likes this.
  10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough,but you'd also have to take into consideration he's a different player to most of them. He was bought mainly for his ability to cover ground quickly with the ball,and commit opposition players by going past them. They all have similar qualities that they wouldn't be Liverpool players in a Klopp team without, but when we look at the strengths they all possess outside those things,most of the others aren't expected to drive at defences like he is,which is more risk with the ball. He's also up there with any of them when it comes to counter pressing which is one of our best weapons for getting those players on the ball. And his recovery pace is an advantage he has on all of them. His passing has looked rusty this season,but he's missed a lot of football which is why it was understandable Klopp wanted him to start again last night. Players are coming back and he might be back out of the team pretty soon.

11. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Ox was looking very good pre Roma injury. Hopefully he kicks on now over Christmas with Elliot coming back in too there will be good competition for places. Its either feast or famine with us when it come to bloody injuries