This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Niall, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Liverpool FC have completed the signing of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from Arsenal.

The England international penned a long-term contract with the Reds after a medical was conducted at St George’s Park, where the 24-year-old is currently on duty with his country.

Oxlade-Chamberlain made 132 Premier League appearances for the Gunners during his six years in north London, and has 27 caps for the Three Lions to date.

The midfielder, the club’s fourth signing of the summer, bolsters Jürgen Klopp’s squad as Liverpool prepare to compete in three domestic competitions and the Champions League.

In a message to Reds fans after sealing the move, Oxlade-Chamberlain said: “I’m currently away with England, so I’m at St George’s Park. Firstly, I’m delighted to have signed for Liverpool and a big thank-you to everyone here at the FA that has made this possible, using the facilities. It has been a massive help.

“I’m not going to say too much today; I’m here with England and we’ve got two big games coming up, so I want to focus on them. But I can’t wait to get to Melwood and you’ll hear first from me on LFCTV.”

Brendinho likes this.
  2. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Jürgen Klopp has outlined his delight at adding Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to his Liverpool project, three years after first noticing his talents during a Champions League game as Borussia Dortmund manager.

The 24-year-old penned a long-term deal with the Reds on Thursday to seal a deadline-day switch from Arsenal.

Klopp admits he has long held admiration for Oxlade-Chamberlain ever since he caught the eye of the boss after coming on as a substitute for the Gunners in a European tie in Dortmund back in September 2014.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am really, really happy we have got Alex signed. Since the last game I have been waiting and hoping we could make this transfer - and when I got the news he was ours it was fantastic.

“I remember the first time I saw him play live - it was at Dortmund in 2014 and he came on as a sub that day and made a big impact. He stood out immediately because of his pace and skills and his attitude in such a big game for a young player; I remember him chasing back to make a brilliant challenge on Mkhitaryan in the box to save a certain goal.

“We won that game but lost the return match at Arsenal when he started and played well, I think he hit the post. Since then I have followed him and when I heard it may be possible to sign him I didn't need to think twice.

“I hear a lot of talk about positions but let's talk about the player; he is someone with really good abilities who always gives everything for his team. A player that is positive and willing to take risks to try and make positive things happen.

“He may still be young but he has a lot of experience in the Premier League, Champions League and for his country. Already he is a very, very good player and I think he has the mentality and desire to get even better - and that excites me.

“This is someone making a tough decision to leave one great club and come to another great club and I think he had many options, so to get him means I am delighted.

“He didn't make an easy decision but I think he made a great one to go on this journey with this squad of talented boys and our great supporters. I welcome him to the Liverpool family.”

3. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Brendinho likes this.
  4. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain underwent a medical at St George's Park as he put the finishing touches to his move to Liverpool.

The midfielder is part of the England squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifying clashes with Malta and Slovakia, but didn't let that stop him rubberstamping an Anfield switch.

Check out our behind-the-scenes photos of Oxlade-Chamberlain undergoing his final physical checks below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Forget his ears, take a good look at them knees doctor :)

Great to have him at the club, with a renewed energy about him I have very high expectations for the Oxasauras.

6. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Feed the Ox and he will score?????

;)

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Just remembered that he's ex Southampton too, scouts obviously had their work done on him from years ago down and St Mary's and just dug it out when they heard he was available.

Mico likes this.
  8. TrueRed92

TrueRed92
    Expand Collapse

He wants to play CM but he gives us options as he can play out wide too

9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Mico likes this.
  10. Jake

Jake
    Expand Collapse

They must not have any decent walls at St George’s Park to lean on for the photo.

Doubt he will be allowed wear that watch on matchday.

Stevie S and Garrett like this.
  11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I'm more than a little curious to see how we put this fella to work for us ....

He wants to play regularly and in midfield, but I don't see him as an instant first choice for one of our midfield spots, which could mean he's backup and that couldn't be what has drawn him to Liverpool when he had that where he was, could it ?

12. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

For the first team, competing for three places, realistically we have Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Oxasaurus, Milner, Lallana, Grujic. We will see if Coutinho is still here, and in any case he often plays in the front three. 7 players for 3 positions, one of whom has barely played yet, one of whom has only about a season left in him at the top level, one of whom is currently injured and one or two more who are prone to injuries. I don't think he will have any problem getting game time in the middle of the park.

Stevie S likes this.
  13. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Will wear number 21.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure some will appreciate the irony here, but I'd not be so negative on our current midfield selection.

Also, if there are three spots, then I ask myself where he might be in the pecking order - I'd say he's behind: Can, Hendo, Lallana, Milner, not sure about Gini and not Grujic (at this stage, anyway). Assuming that's accurate, he needs two of the first choices to be out, to give him a run. Obviously, if he can get game time and show his stuff, he might advance in that pecking order and likewise, in another year perhaps Milner will have fallen further down the list, or have moved on etc.

15. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

27 caps for England, wow, did not think he had that many.

16. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I hope I am proved wrong about him.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  17. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Always said I'd liked us to sign him and see Klopp work his magic on him. Hopefully I'm proved right and he turns out to be a brilliant signing. I'd imagine like Milner he'd accept playing in a different position if we're not playing the usual 433 to help the team out. Maybe a bit on the steep side but when you see Bolaise, Barkley and Pickford going for around the same money then cant really complain

18. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Is he going to be a certain starter? I can't see it. Hopefully proves a lot people wrong. Me included..obviously I'll be behind him and hopefully does the business

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

The fact that the just about the entire LFC fan base spent their time reading up on sightings of private jets and cars with tinted glasses the entire day that LFC signed him, and put out the various bits of PR regarding his arrival, speaks louder than any words .....

Very few cared that we'd signed him, simple as that.

Now that he's a player, lets hope he proves to be a great one, but he'll have to do a lot to convince the fans as it's unusual for so many, to be so wrong.

20. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

The manager cared we got him which is most important and not Billy and Ben from the internet or some survey.