This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Alberto Moreno

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by flies, Aug 16, 2014.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Will definately be interesting if all four of them left this summer. It would leave Henderson in that club where a lot of people want rid of him. Think I'd be right in saying aside from Firmino and Milner, he'd be the only regular left pre Klopp. Lallana and Origi will likely go also.

Very few players that Klopp/Edwards have brought have annoyed the fans apart from Karius and for a small spells Klavan.

I am counting down the days until Moreno and Mignolet leave to be honest. Not proud of it, however literally just can't wait until they leave. Skrtel got like that for me in the end as did Glen Johnson. Funny enough the likes Rickie Lambert, Borini couldn't kick snow of a rope for LFC, however would have been happy for them to hang around. A funny old game!!!

2. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

babbsnads likes this.
  4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Slightly disappointed by that. Good move for him but I was really hoping the Barcelona rumours were true just for the piss it would boil.

5. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Done extremely well to last 5 years with us.

6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

5 years, jeez!!!

7. DARREN26

DARREN26
    Expand Collapse

I hope it works out for him but also hope we Never hire any of there scouts

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  8. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I love lazio
    They took lucas and now Moreno :)

9. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

I was sad to see Lucas leave at the time, for nostalgic reasons.

I won't be sad to see Moreno leave, although I wish him good luck.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Lazio made a player out of Luís Alberto so maybe they can do the same with Moreno

11. Colin C

Colin C
    Expand Collapse

Lucas was great. Such a brilliant reader of the game, amazing team player, great character in the dressing room. His legs had gone by the end though so move worked for both clubs.

Moreno looked like he could be a decent buy, but soon became clear to anyone who knew anything about the game that he was an awful defender who was a complete liability to the side. Couldn't read danger, couldn't tackle, poor decision maker on the field, and didn't seem to care too much about the team, as he often vacated his position in search of personal glory.

Why it took about 18 months more for JK to realise this after everyone else is a mystery.

Only thing Moreno can take credit for this season is solving a possible fixture crisis by his disastrous performances in the cups!

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I haven't made this point in this thread a while but theres nothing you or anybody else on the internet can see in Jurgen Klopps players and the games his teams play that he can't. Moreno has always been and will always have been better than the people who take this view think he was. This doesn't mean anybody has to think he was good enough for Liverpool or share the same views as Klopp,but if he was as bad as people made out he wouldn't have played a tenth of the games he did. Personally what I do when Klopp is baffling me with decisions is look hard for what I'm missing rather than what he cant see,and if I cant find it I accept I'm missing something because I cant see anything on the pitch that he cant,and I'm operating with a fraction of the information he is. What I know for a fact is a lot of the time Moreno "vacated" his position was because he was instructed to. Again this doesn't mean every time,of course he makes positional mistakes but again,if he was out of position a tenth as much as hes accused of it,he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  13. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

The vacated his position is the only contentious one as I'd agree that he was likely instructed to get his arse up the pitch

I see the good in most players like Migs and Lovren who I actually rate, but I can't abide Moreno at all, he is just a fit and fast, crap player. Sooner he leaves the better, not interested what sort of a decent skin he probably is

bobby benitez likes this.
  14. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Maybe Klopp saw something in training that seldom translated on to the pitch and was willing to stick with him, in the hopes of realising his possible potential.
    But he was a defender who had awful timing and positioning (he thought his pace could save him imo)

bobby benitez likes this.
  15. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I think you're right. You can't train someone to be as fast as him or have his energy levels. You can't afford a player with those attributes that can also defend well so he tried to fix him until he eventually gave up.

Stevie S, Colin C and vodkacolly like this.
  16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That is 100% you bending what happened to suit a predetermined outcome that you already have.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Klopp played him in a UEFA Cup final. Klopp had him as his only back up to James Milner in a season when CL qualification was vital. Klopp had him as his first choice up until he got injured and Robertson replaced him in another season when CL qualification was vital and he was playing him in the CL. What often gets lost in this discussion is the pretty large gap between Klopp knowing that he wasn't a good enough player long term for Liverpool and would eventually be replaced,and him being of the required level in Klopps eyes to do a job while he was building his squad but also navigating lots of important games. Point being if he was as bad as hes thought to be by a lot of our supporters he wouldn't enjoyed the level of responsibility he was given. People get very defensive about what shouldn't be even a mildly controversial statement,that Klopp obviously rated Moreno higher than they did and then do all kinds of mental gymnastics to avoid accepting that very obvious point.

Dubfan likes this.
  18. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you, and Klopp obviously did rate him more than most supporters.

But in support of the other argument, they are coming up with different reasons why Klopp might have rated him and kept playing him.

19. Colin C

Colin C
    Expand Collapse

Would agree with that. He had all the physical attributes to suit a Klopp style of play, just like Robbo in that way, but it shows you just can't coach football intelligence and how to have good defensive instincts.

20. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Mate, you keep making this point but nobody's arguing with you.
    I know Klopp rated him higher than me. I don't have to do any sort of gymnastics to accept that.
    I would have fucked Moreno out years ago.

As for the "if he's as bad as some fans think, Klopp wouldn't have played him so much".
    Probably true but we know what the manager is like when it comes to transfers.
    Maybe he never found a suitable/available replacement until Robertson?

What's wrong with that?
    Whats wrong with trying to understand what Klopp saw, that we didn't?

Stevie S and bobby benitez like this.