This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Brendan Rodgers - Former Liverpool Manager

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by RedArmagh, May 30, 2012.

1. randywatson

randywatson
    Expand Collapse

that article is very well written, and in a sense, correct.

we are in transition, of that there is no doubt.

we also need to give a manager time as there is a rebuilding job taking place.

however, i just cannot get behind (with blind faith at least) our under qualified manager.

look at it like this. The Point Depot in Dublin was rebuilt only a few years ago. Now, who did the owners get to do the rebuilding job?

A repitable builder is who. They didnt go out and look for someone cheap, someone that had never undertaken such a massive project before. No, they went with who was capable, BASED ON PREVIOUS JOBS.

Now rewind to last summer. We sacked Kenny, whether rightly or wrongly, it happened.

Why on earth did FSG not look at the candidates CV's before they appointed someone? im not one for blaming FSG for too much, because in fairness to them, they have stumped up a fair few bob to both Kenny, and now Rodgers. But there was nothing, not one single bloody thing in Rodgers resume that would suggest he was the man to undertake the biggest restructuring job at Liverpool since Bill Shankly took over in 1959.

why cant people see this? just look at his previous work, HE IS UNDER QUALIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!

i know people here think im a raving lunatic, but i can honestly say, hand on heart, that i would support any manager that had the required Resume to manage this club of ours. Unfortunetly, Rodgers is not even close to being that man

2. F@ces

F@ces
    Expand Collapse
    Part of the dance

Taken from RAWK, no idea who wrote it. Goodnight.

3. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Again I have to say I think he needs time and anyone expecting immediate success under Rodgers is delusional.Hes still learning at this level and with every cockup comes a lesson.Fair enough he mightn't say the right things at times but his players have let him down this week.If they can put in great performances against arsenal and city and fail to punish west brom and zenit then they're attitudes are a big worry.Regardless of who is manager players should always give 100% for those that pay they're wages and show them support every week.Some of Suarez misses tonight were awful but I suppose that's rodgers fault to is it?

4. bono

bono
    Expand Collapse

Agree with a lot of your post the players went out there today with his tactics & game plan in mind & executed it badly, but the hole between midfield & defense was there for all to see from very early in the game & BR didn't do anything until it was too late. That was a mistake you'd hope he'd learn from.

I can forgive Rodgers for that simply because he is new to these types of games, at the same time I can see how people would become frustrated at such a scenario.
    As we have now a inexperienced Manager learning on the fly when we really should have been building on last season..

#2924 bono, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Brendan Rodgers defiantly insisted his side’s European hopes are NOT dead, despite a disastrous defeat here in Russia.

The Liverpool manager’s side were taken apart in two mad minutes as Zenit were gifted a crucial two-goal lead, thanks largely to striker Hulk.

Yet the Anfield club spurned so many chances – Luis Suarez alone fluffed his lines four times – that Rodgers predicted the tie will still be up for grabs in next Thursday's return leg.

He said: “It’s not over by any means. If we can get the next goal back then we can really put them under pressure with our fans behind us and what gives us great hope is that we created loads of chances.

“We have a chance in the second leg. The next goal is hugely important, if we can get that then we can create great momentum. We know it is retrievable and we believe we still have a fighting chance.

“What is most disappointing is that, apart from those two goals, it is was almost the perfect European performance – but I think that is all part of our growing pains.

“It is something where in six or 12 months’ time we won’t be making those mistakes but at the moment that’s where we’re at.”

There were no signs of racist abuse by Zenit fans towards any Liverpool player, despite fears expressed beforehand.

And Rodgers thanked the Russian club and their fans for the atmosphere in which the Europa League tie was conducted.

But he was not so happy with his own team after they failed to spark in front of goal then compounded their generosity with some shocking defending that gifted the home side an important lead.

Rodgers added: “We really felt we were in a position to win the game, because we created chances in the first half and controlled the
    game in the second, but instead we’re sitting here wondering how we lost.

“We’ve lost two poor goals, basically. The first was a good strike, but we were poor in the build-up, and the second was really poor too.

"So we’ve lost the game when really we should have won it and that’s disappointing.”

6. randywatson

randywatson
    Expand Collapse

Rodgers thanked their fans, all while there are reports of them kicking off before the game.

Seriously, do we have a pr team

7. bono

bono
    Expand Collapse

Ian I love the camera Ayre put him & the PR department in that position.

8. DARREN26

DARREN26
    Expand Collapse

Jesus did he not mention any of our fans who travelled over.And is things gone that bad that fans have to be thanked after a game for not causing trouble.

9. Luke*****

Luke*****
    Expand Collapse

Rodgers is on thin ice re his PR!

10. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

He showed he's no balls with the lack of subs and allowing Suarez to stay on the field after an attempt at a showboat cost us an away goal, had it been a young player he'd have probably slaughtered him in the media for it.

11. No Name

No Name
    Expand Collapse

Not a lack of balls for leaving Suarez on, more a case of leaving our biggest goal threat on the pitch.

He could have made other subs though alright!!

Leaving Borini on the bench was peculiar when we're 2-0 down. Not that I'm a fan of Borini's but it was Rodgers who signed him so surely he must have some faith in him to the extent that he brings him on when 2-0 down.
    Or so you would have thought.

Maybe Suso either, to try to add a bit of flair. But Lucas on for Sterling didn't make a huge amount of sense under the circumstances.

We sort of looked like we accepted damage limitations when we went 2-0 down, instead of throwing caution to the wind and going all out for an away goal to give us a lifeline.

All a bit baffling really.

12. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

There is not a manager in the world who would have taken off his best player and best chance of scoring a goal just for missing a chance in the first half.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Brendan has only four Games against current top ten left. Swansea this weekend will hopefully put that record away, other three are Spurs, Everton and Chelsea.

14. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Mancini hooked Ballotelli for a back heal 25 yards out a couple of months ago, so guess your wrong there

15. mvegaspool

mvegaspool
    Expand Collapse

I didnt see all the game so maybe I'm not in a position to comment but I thought Rodgers set up the team right last night and that he was unlucky. I thought we were comfortable for long periods and our star striker missed 4 gilt edged chances mto put us ahead and get an away goal. I dont think you can blame Rodgers for that. I can understand why he brought on Lucas instead of an attacking option like Borini. At that stage Zenit were rampant and were more than capable of getting a 3rd and finishing off the tie. At 2-0 we have a chance, if they scored another we would be as good as out

16. mvegaspool

mvegaspool
    Expand Collapse

Who did he replace him with? Tevez, Aguero or Dzeko? We dont have that luxury mate.

17. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

Don't think anyone has ever considered ballotelli to be City's best player. Also if i remember (and i admit i could be wrong) that was a meaningless pre season friendly.

No manager would take off their best player in the first half of an important game just to prove a point.

18. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

We has the striker he told us we'd all be excited about

19. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

No it was a PL game, he did try back heel a chance in USA pre season friendly also

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

His attempt was closer to hendersons on monday than it was to keanes. Just like I don't think henderson was showboating I din't think suarez was either.spilt second reaction and.he attempted what he thought was the most likely way to score.

#2940 bobby benitez, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013