This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Crystal Palace v Liverpool 2pm Ko

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by ROCCO, Jan 23, 2022.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Utd are the same as us, the noise levels do go up. With City, no one cares. Unrelated to this game but my u8's had a friendly against the Sunday side this weekend. I mentioned to other manager how great it is to see so many Liverpool tops. In conversation I asked him how many he had, he said 5 Utd and the rest Liverpool. My side is 4 utd and 9 Liverpool. My daughters u11 have no City fans, either does her class. We're talking about 50 kids at the age of influence and City's money and success hasn't gotten to any of them.

Skintown Red and Roll on 19 like this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

And it works. Salah and Mane couldn't buy a penalty for a long time and the bar was raised to stupid levels for them to even get a free kick because of their supposed reputation. I don't know how much of an impact it has on VAR decisions but yesterday was only the second time VAR has awarded us a peno in 97 games. Its given 3 against us though.

vodkacolly likes this.
  3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Ken Early wrote a very good article about how City just don't illicit much emotion as a team. They don't excite people and they are nobody's least favourite team.

GaryMc likes this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Yeah their manager is a bit annoying but not at Fergie or Mourinho levels. They don’t have any really hateful players. Bernado Silva is probably the one that has wound LFC fans up as much as anyone in their team sums it up. Looking back over the last 10 years Ballotelli was probably their only really controversial player on the pitch. (except for Mendy of the pitch)

babbsnads likes this.
  5. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Micah Richards is growing to annoy me week on week. He's on EVERY football show MoTD included.
    He couldnt be any more biased and LOOOOOUD. He constantly shouts over everyone else and seems to have been told by someone that he's a hell of a lot funnier than he actually is.
    Its actually got to the point that if he's doing the pre game punditry, I dont even watch it and just tune back in for kick off.

6. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

On the Bobby off side goal causing the defender to move towards him leaving space. The Same could be said about Edouard making a run in behind Our Virg causing him to follow allowing the space for Mateta leading to their goal. Edouard was offside when the ball played forward.

sligo fan likes this.
  7. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Well spotted Glen - funny how that seemed to slip by the pundits who seem to know everything about everything

8. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I said the exact same yet the silence about it had me doubting myself !

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Don't think those situations are the same lads. Yes Van Dijk would have been impacted by Edouards run but the ball was played in another direction. I'm not mad about an offside law that allows a forward to get an advantage for the next phase of play by being beyond the last man when the ball is played,but the law does allow it. Maybe there's an argument that it was right our goal stood,but I don't think there is one that their goal shouldn't have.

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The rules are actually quite prescriptive about interfering with play, bobby made an attempt to play the ball while offside, it's actually an error, should have been pulled back, didn't hear about this one until now, much more obvious than the penalty. Bobby doesn't attempt to play that ball it's an easy header away.

The palace player you're talking about never made an attempt to play the ball while offside and didn't block anyone's vision etc.

11. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

He took virgil's attention whilst offside then scored a goal in part owing to the origin of his initial advanced offside position ...I get that the ball wasn't initially played to him directly but it still should be a case for ruling it out owing to interfering with play

12. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

[QUOTE="edcarroll02, post: 1189205, member: 205" Bobby doesn't attempt to play that ball it's an easy header away.
    [/QUOTE]
    Palace defender was ahead of the ball when it was played in so never in a million years could he have headed that away even if Bobby didn’t jump , the defender made no attempt to get it purely because he couldn’t have

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Listening to The Guardian pod yesterday and really
    Enjoyed how much time they spent on the penalty decision and Bobby offside. Andres Towsend Dad was on it and I thought he was going to cry a couple of times because of the decisions. All my time listening to podcasts, I never heard a decision discussed as much.

Be great to see this trend continue, in 19/20 a lot the football family seemed pretty annoyed LFC were so Dominant and seemed to galvanise the team.

14. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Are we all just paranoid pricks, or do our decisions get way more media coverage than any other team?

15. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

The older pundits grew up in an era of Liverpool dominance and if they supported any other club they still have flashbacks to their tormented childhood of putting up with successful Liverpool fans.

The younger pundits were kids when united were winning all around them and were/are united fans from growing up in the 90s/00s.

Pundits are people, they all lived for football since they were kids. Without a doubt, the success of Liverpool will have plenty haters. Particularly when a lot of them grew up as united fans.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

[/QUOTE]
    Palace defender was ahead of the ball when it was played in so never in a million years could he have headed that away even if Bobby didn’t jump , the defender made no attempt to get it purely because he couldn’t have[/QUOTE]

upload_2022-1-25_9-55-14.png

Palace player is behind Bobby, not sure what who you're looking at, if Bobby isn't there making a play on the ball Palace player heads that away in my opinion but it doesn't matter really, the rules are fairly clear on it and Bobby makes a clear attempt to play the ball while offside so it should have been ruled out, doesn't matter now either way, it wasn't and we won.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

We go searching for it and take it more personally because it's about Liverpool so whatever is there is obviously bigger in our own minds but that being said we definitely get worse treatment in the media than anyone else :D

18. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Palace defender was ahead of the ball when it was played in so never in a million years could he have headed that away even if Bobby didn’t jump , the defender made no attempt to get it purely because he couldn’t have[/QUOTE]

View attachment 4936

Palace player is behind Bobby, not sure what who you're looking at, if Bobby isn't there making a play on the ball Palace player heads that away in my opinion but it doesn't matter really, the rules are fairly clear on it and Bobby makes a clear attempt to play the ball while offside so it should have been ruled out, doesn't matter now either way, it wasn't and we won.[/QUOTE]

I seen this back yesterday in real time and have changed my mind. At full speed the fullback is going in with Bobby when he's still onside, it now comes down do does the player in the offside position affect the defender and the answer is no, well no more than Edourd did for their goal.

19. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

View attachment 4936

Palace player is behind Bobby, not sure what who you're looking at, if Bobby isn't there making a play on the ball Palace player heads that away in my opinion but it doesn't matter really, the rules are fairly clear on it and Bobby makes a clear attempt to play the ball while offside so it should have been ruled out, doesn't matter now either way, it wasn't and we won.[/QUOTE]

the still picture shows it from another viewpoint
    I watched it in full speed from the other side and when ball was in flight at Bobby the defender was ahead of the ball flight so didn’t get the opportunity to attempt a header unless he is a contortionist or from the matrix

20. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

I am leaving the last word of the discussion to Brian Clough.

If a player is NOT interfering with play, then he shouldnt be on the pitch