This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Jul 11, 2015.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That guy was vaccinated. It clearly states he's glad he's dead because he's cost innocent lives using his platform to spread lies.

So unless there's another post where somebody wished death on those who refused the vaccine, like you're claiming, you should probably retract your accusation,or at least stop repeating it. I'm glad that cunt is dead too by the way.

2. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Former Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given says that it's Callum Robinson's own choice as to whether or not he gets a Covid-19 vaccination.

The forward, who has twice tested positive for the virus, caused a stir this week when he revealed that he hasn't received the jab yet.

Stephen Kenny's reign as manager has been highly disrupted by the pandemic, with his squad regularly impacted by withdrawals owing to cases.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Given, who won 134 caps for his country, said that Robinson gets to decide what he does regarding a vaccination.

"People should be open to free choice," he began.

"It nearly feels like a bullying campaign if somebody says they've not had it, or had it – it's like the elephant in the room.

"I think everyone's health is their own decision and shouldn't be governed by the Taoiseach, or in England the Prime Minister. You should make your own choice and Callum spoke openly and made his own choice.

"I don't think he should be getting any stick for that. It's his body, it's his life. He feels like he's in a better position if he doesn't get it and he's less at risk, that's his choice.

"I say well done for speaking out. There's a campaign if anyone says anything against the common thing then you get hammered. I don't want to go into too much depth on it but I just think everyone in this life has got a choice.

"I'm not saying you should get it or shouldn't get it – my opinion is that you should have a free choice."

Pushed on whether Robinson's high profile as a professional footballer made his position on the matter of greater interest, Given added that a person's job was "irrelevant" and that it must come down to personal choice.

"It's no one's business if he's taken the vaccination, or medicine for something else," he added.

"It's his body. There's a line that you have to be careful that you don't cross. People's medical history is their own. That's why there's a privacy law when you're talking to doctors and nurses.

"That should be private information."

3. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

It's not up to us or anyone else for that matter to be demanding that someone explain their own medical choices. And it's even more wrong for people to be saying he shouldn't be allowed to go to work whilst his not vaccinated. Until the government have a mandated and compulsory vaccine policy then it is his body and his choice (wrong and all as he is). The status and influence players have is provided by the toxic media. Sports people shouldn't have the status or influence that they do, they shouldn't be called heroes, or held to higher standards, especially when a large percentage of them come from underpriviliged/lower socio economic backgrounds and likely had some sort of educational barrier. They're not broadly well equipped to be doing research and reading medical journals etc. This generation of player likely gets their news updates from Tik-Tok where anti vaccine rhetoric and conspricary theories are rife.

All I'm saying is, in this instance, we have a fella who has been told by his own government and many other governments and scientific bodies around the world that his status as a recovered from covid person is the same as a fully vaccinated person for a period of 6 months. So for all intents and purposes he's vaccinated for the next 5ish months. That should be the end of the story. Instead, he is being bullied by practically everyone. I'd say him, and many more players would be vaccinated if that covid recovery status was removed, but that won't happen so we'll never really know.

Again, I'm fully supportive of the vaccination effort and I think it's hugely important that everyone who can get a vaccine does get one. But I'm not supportive of people demanding others explain themselves for their choices when most people wouldn't offer up the same level of detail in a comparable life situation of their own. ie your boss refusing to pay your sick leave unless you disclosed your ailments and reasoning etc. It's abhorrently unjust and there are legal and social protections around not being required to do that.

I do agree that it would have been nice for him to offer up an explanation and to be more open about it, but it's his right to not do that and he shouldn't be lambasted for it. But had he provided an explanation he'd probably be accused of using his influence to push an anti-vax agenda, so I'm not actually sure what his explanation would have solved anyway (as we all know he doesn't have evidence of the vax not working, or being a hoax or any of that other bollocks that goes around).

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The way I see it is he had 2 choices, say he would rather not answer a personal question and move on or if he went with the option he did, he is obliged to give answers. My body my choice doesn't cut it, he isn't being asked in the street by a randomer, he is being asked in a press conference as the person nominated to represent the Republic of Ireland Senior Men's team. Responsibilities are attached to that gig whether he was educated in Eton or left school at 15. The obvious answer is he shouldn't have been put forward in the first place but once he was he had to say more. He obviously feels comfortable with his decision so why not share the reasons? If his reason is government advice suggests I'm protected for 6 months then nobody can really argue with that, it's an informed decision but to say nothing isn't good enough.

I'd be interested if you're employer just accepted my body my choice for an explanation of sick leave?

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

the media present had the option not to ask the question, SK shouldve shut it down the day before when he was asked.

6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Willie, FIFA and the FA ( where 90% of our players play) reached an agreement last week on the movement of vaccinated and unvaccinated players, that agreement clearly differentiates between the two. One set of players can return from red zones and continue to play and train with their clubs, the others can't. The question is now on the table, 99% of us would want to know if Alisson and Fab where jabbed therefore the question is inevitable.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Kenny and the media people for Ireland should have had the players prepared for questions like this and basically say Fck all or not put up an unvaccinated player for media scrutiny. Maybe they did advise not to get into it but my thoughts are Robinson saw this as a chance to get a few headlines and now it’s backfired somewhat. Kenny may even be glad as hardly a mention of his terrible record in the run up to these games.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

could be wrong but I don't think Azerbaijan is on the red list.

9. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, double jabbed but the annoying thing is the short time between the Brazil v Uruguay match and Watford v Liverpool. Both players unlikely to be excused for the fixture so looks inevitable they will miss the Watford v Liverpool match.

GaryMc likes this.
  10. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

What a goal. CR7.

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

we all dream of a team of antivax.

12. MrMo

MrMo
    Expand Collapse

Good result. I’m glad SK is finally off the mark in terms of wins. I know Tuesday night is irrelevant, but would hope they can build on the win. My young fella is off to it with his soccer team, so hope they get to see a few goals.

13. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I actually thought that was one of our worst performances recently but we get a 3-0 win. Lots of times we had 5 or 6 lads defending across the centre of the box but no-one seemed to take responsibility then for defending the cross, especially in the first half. We would have been better cutting the cross out, we missed some good chances reverted to a lot long balls. Good to get the result and definitely deserved.

14. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Have a mate looking to bring his lad if any spare for tonight greatly appreciated

15. STEVE1978

STEVE1978
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Any presale code for Portugal game please?

16. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

Looking for a spare for Portugal match on Thursday, ideally a single in South Lower tier blocks 112-117 or a pair anywhere else.

Can offer a New Zealand ticket on Saturday or a pair for Liverpool league matches after Christmas bar Watford, Everton or Wolves.

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I never known such demand for an Ireland game. I hope for my own sanity it's not about bowing at the feet of CR7.

18. MrMo

MrMo
    Expand Collapse

No, no,no……. I’m going to see Diogo!!

19. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

someone said to me earlier on that you need a covid cert for the Portugal game on Thursday, is that true?

20. sds reds

sds reds
    Expand Collapse

Have u a pair for man utd