This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Ath Madrid -v-Liverpool

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by glen, Oct 18, 2021.

1. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Worst part of the whole game for me was when Alisson went down, heart slipped a fair few beats

Dubfan likes this.
  2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I love their antics, it's an art in itself. It's also beautiful when it blows up in their face. Thought Suarez was trying to get himself sent off to avoid Anfield again. I'd concur with others, beat them and let's see if the women are good enough to beat Porto and Milan.

5. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I thought he should have been sent off, 1st for his cynical foul on VVD then for verbal abuse towards the ref AFTER he had got yellow for the same reason!

6. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I didnt see a yellow given?!

7. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree, should not have stood

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We've gone from pundits/media ignoring our chances or ruling them out this season,to hugely over the top criticism of players after a win at the toughest away ground in European football(think I read they'd never conceded 3 at home in Europe under Simeone). Being underestimated wasn't a bad thing for us but we can safely say that's over.

Keita had a tough night but it was his 5th game in something like 10 or 11 days,4 of them abroad,1 in London,and against a great team and a really hard running side who were given the weekend off to prepare. Van Dijk didn't have anywhere near as bad a night as is being reported,but when people expect everything to look easy to you,your performance in games where world class attackers have a say in proceedings will be over analysed. Id say that's bad news for ManU though,because he'll be angry about it.

MrMo likes this.
  9. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Ex ref Peter Walton said that was subjective.
    Although he kept calling him Mapit which was annoying.
    Decision could've gone either way.

Skintown Red likes this.
  10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Peter Walton has done more damage to the credibility of Premier League officials, than anything else in history. For years they'd do stupid or corrupt things, but it could always be explained away as how quickly the game moves, or the pressure of certain situations, or all other manner of shit we'd use to avoid the most obvious answer, because nobody really wanted to admit that a lot of officials are just stupid and corrupt. He's a figure of fun now, he regularly trends for the stupid and often batshit mental explanations he gives.

11. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Couldn't agree more with your first point, if you were listening to Didi and Richie Sadlier on RTE you'd swear we were playing a team of nobodies not the Spanish Champions away from home particularly with their record in Europe.

It's a great win and one that hopefully gives us momentum into Sunday especially if United in anyway struggle against Atalanta.

babbsnads likes this.
  12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

was there a reason why they had suarez on the bench last night?

13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

We got away with the penalty for them thank God. I don't think those decisions should be given but it's become par for the course to see them given and when he gave it I never thought he'd overrule himself, particularly when there was contact.

Couldn't happen to a nicer shower though, they are a concentration of all the worst aspects of modern football. Shithouse tactics, living on the edge with constant fouls and off the ball roughhousing, claiming a card to get an opposition player booked for every single foul, doing a triple salchow to the ground if they even think they might have felt contact, intimidation of the ref, Simeone inciting the crowd, not shaking hands etc. etc. etc. My only concern about the next game against them is none of our players getting a bad injury. Didn't see any report yet on the presser, what did Simeone say about the handshake?

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd like us to be a bit more streetwise at times but I don't thinknI could be proud of my team if they acted like Atletico,no matter what results we were getting. And I've always had a thing about managers/coaches/subs showboating on the touchline, makes me cringe like fuck. No way you can be genuinely as emotional as Simeone pretends to be, and be capable of rationally dealing with your duties as a manager,and they've been too successful for him not to be dealing with games in a rational manner. It's an act, you see how quickly he "calms down" when the ref has a word. He's playing a character right down to how he dresses, and I'm not having he needs to do that to get the crowd fired up. The ref giving a throw in the other way gets Spanish crowds fired up. He loves the attention.

15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

heard a dodgy translation of his interview after the game andd it sounds like he said he regularly runs down the tunnel like that win or lose, hes not in to greeting manager before/after a game and only did it last night because klopp was standing at the tunnel and he couldnt avoid it.

16. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I thought Ronnie Whelan was chatting some shite last night. Did he expect Atletico to lie down and let us embarrass them for 90 minutes? Manè made a few challenges, is he supposed to leave them alone encase their fans get upset? I thought we handled the shit housing well bar one instance with Trent and even that was more down to them than him.

On another note I thought Lemar was brilliant, could see him filling the Gini slot to a tee.

babbsnads likes this.
  17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I watched it on BT Sport,what did Whelan say about Mane?

18. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

Mane gave away 2 cheap frees on Trippier and Whelan basically put their improved performance down to that.
    If Mane doesn't foul the crowd don't get going and team don't get going....Said it a couple of times before I turned it over to BT.

babbsnads and bobby benitez like this.
  19. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

they where unbeaten at home for 4 years in Europe. That win was incredible. We’re scoring at least 3 goal nearly every game. Teams must be thinking they’ve no chance against us. Imagine being the opposition going into a game thinking we need to score at least 3 to get anything out of the game.I’m ok with the pundits writing us off because we’re winning the league and champions league this season.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

What a muppet.