This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

General (non LFC chat) Football Chat.

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

My understanding of the new FFP rules are you can spend what you want and pay a penalty for spending beyond a certain point. They won't need to hide and cheat in the way City did, they can just pay Salah and Halaand £1m per week each and pay the penalties involved. Drop in the ocean to them.

They will know the Super League is coming is some shape or other and they need to get a move on or they will be left behind. Football will be pointless in 3 years, there is no point for normal clubs even trying to compete.

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure exactly what the suggested new measures are,but I'm pretty sure it's not going to work like that. I'd also be pretty certain the PL won't be relaxing their own rules in a way that allowed that to happen. It would destroy their product.

3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

As I said I haven't read much on it, just glanced at a few bits but it appears to me they have taken the approach that there is no point taking on the endless queue of lawyers City and PSG can put in front of you. Anyway it doesn't matter what rules are or aren't in place, PSG and City have proved they can do what they want, Newcastle's owners chopped up a journalist and stuck him in a bin bag. Not much says we can do what we want more than that.

4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

If Newcastle reach even a Chelsea level in terms of squad depth and spending power in next 2/3 years, LFCs next managerial appointment is going to need to be spot on to compete for titles. The club have been punching above their weight, along with Michael Edwards the success of nearly every major signing is not sustainable. Arsenal and Spurs will be very worried here Id say. Their path back to regular top four finishes will be almost impossible unless they hit on a Klopp figure to lead the club.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

But their spending has been curbed by FFP Bob. Not by as much as it was supposed to but City and PSG would have spent far more without it.From what I can gather they haven't put the new rules in place yet,and there will be an element of financial penalties for going over a certain limit,but there will still be hard caps that can't be breached.

I'm looking forward to Gary Neville having his say on how morally bankrupt the Premier League is though. This takeover was blocked because the PL felt Saudi Arabia was costing them money, but now Qatar and the Saudis have come to an agreement onTV rights,they're now fit and proper owners. That they chopped up a journalist or all the other heinous shit they're guilty of never came up,will really have Neville on his soapbox, right?

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The caps that they put in place are all well and good but how they can limit them from using their infinite wealth to leveragesuccess on the field is unknown to me. I imagine they'll be regotiating their sponsors with lucrative deals for their stadium branding and kits etc., everything will eventually have a very familiar South Arabian feel to it as their revenues appear to skyrocket out of nowhere. How well they invest that newly found revenue into the club will depend on whether they get the right structures in place, keeping in mind that they're already competing with a team like City who have been doing it for years makes it that bit harder for them. Ultimately money won't guarantee success for them if they can't get things right off the field too but it could well disrupt the market again in the same way that PSG did in Europe if they're going to start offering even more ludicrous contracts to players than we've already seen.

7. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

I can’t remember where I read or heard it but is the bitters owner not mega rich but yet he is not allowed to spend his personal wealth on transfers, wages etc? Hence why they had to get rid of James, didn’t spend much this summer? Would it be the same Newcastle?

I could also have completely misunderstood the situation and even imagined it!

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Judging by the scenes outside of St James they couldn't care less about some human rights abuses, they just know they're loaded and the good times are on the way to St James Park!

Irishkop96 likes this.
  9. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

I hear ya. City and roman aren't exactly angel's either.
    But listen to newstalk. They say the UK government are allies with this mob and turn blind eye to everything. So was basically going to happen after all the pirate links stopped.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Unlikely but it would be funny if they got relegated this season

Skintown Red likes this.
  11. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Rumoured they have approached Gerrard about the managers job .

12. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

Human rights? :D:D:D:D
    This from the fella who wanted people who refused the vaccine to die.
    Pick a lane!! :p

13. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Having read more on the subject I have come around to your way of thinking but not because there are rules in place. They seem to have learned a lot from City, the charm offensive will happen before the lavish spending. Hospital donations and jobs for the Geordies seems the order of the day. Once the narrative has firmly established them in the "big 7" they will unleash the spending.

babbsnads likes this.
  14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You're misrepresenting his point massively. He said it's better that high profile propagandists,pedalling false information that is costing people their lives, die. And he's right.

15. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Black and White will suit Haaland. Mbappe may be more partial to the away colours.

16. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

I'm not misrepresenting his point at all. There's plenty on false information on both sides of the argument, the problem is people's want to return to normal is killing their logical thinking.

Most of the irish and using here as perfect reflection of Irish society as a whole have been completely taken in by the media and their coverage of the vaccine. "if you don't take it you're killing your neighbours". This just isn't the case. People refer to the measles etc when they speak about vaccines but this is completely different. People have the right to be apprehensive about taking a new gene therapy work little or no data behind it. The fact that people who question this are called flat earthers and tin foil hat wearers are a sad reflection on ireland.

The way Callum Robinson has been treated the last few days is a disgrace. A few years back it was "my body, my choice". That man would have access to a lot more medical professionals than most and he's decided that as a fit young man he'll take his chances. That's his choice. The media and Paddy vaccine aren't happy with this though. They see it as putting the public in danger, they're ignoring the massive elephant in the room, the vaccinated (protected) can still get the virus! All the pharma companies claim is that this ( they call it gene therapy, not a vaccine, that's a media/government word) vaccine will lessen your symptoms.
    So what difference does it make to the protected if Callum Robinson decides to not get protected?
    It makes no difference, the only problem is people's want to get back to "normal" is stopping all logical thought. Well, that want and what rte and the likes are spewing out every night to them.

I'm not anti vaccine in any way, i didn't get it as i got covid back in the end of May, I didn't know I had it, got tested as a close contact and came back positive. No symptoms.
    So in my opinion it's a human right to decide to not take it, or at least wait a while and see how it plays out, it's a human right to be nervous. That nervousness shouldn't stop you going into a coffee shop.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I said what now? I've never said I wanted people who refused a vaccine to die, that's madness and you're intentionally misrepresenting what I said. The guy died of a virus that he campaigned for other people not to get vaccinated from using blatant lies and misinformation, using his privileged position as a radio host to do so too. A virus that had he been vaccinated against he had a >90% increase in his chances of not dying from it. I don't care that he died, I never will, had he died sooner of it he might have cost less people their lives, his death as a martyr to his cause might hopefully encourage more people to get the vaccine adding another lovely twist of irony in that in dying he may have actually contributed in some small way to the vaccination campaign.

diceyreilly likes this.
  18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Mick, I was starting to wonder had my point come across completely wrong but glad to see it was clear what I was saying.

babbsnads likes this.
  19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You 100% misrepresented his point and you're still doing it.

20. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

Surely ye can see the irony in a person who wished death on another human for having a different opinion having any say on other people's take on human rights.

Are human rights only important of you don't feel they affect you?