This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Manchester United Anfield 17th January 4.30pm

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Liverpool-law, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

There seems to be a lot of talk about this match in other threads so thought it was time to put everything in one place.

This match has penalty/penalty incident/diving/controversy written all over it. United have got everything their own way in terms of penalties, decisions in general have almost gone 100% against us so far this season. Throw in a team who consistently dive up against a potentially make-shift defence and I think the likelihood of a penalty incident, or incidents is high.

Don't know if a tweet that has been circulating is correct, it says Paul Tierney has given united 5 pens in his last ten matches and 1 against. He has given Liverpool 0 in 14 matches and 1 against. Can anyone say if that is correct or is it bull?

We've been going through a bad run, now is the time to wipe this crowd off the field. I think we will if the officials ref both sides equally but I am concerned at how little decisions we get. After all of Pogba's telling team mates to dive etc., it wouldn't surprise me if Tierney sends Mane or Salah off for simulation at this stage!!

Let's not let the officials have a chance to fcuk us, go out fast and hard and blast them off the pitch. Come on you reds!

2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Need a fast start here. Come out of the blocks hounding them and pressing them high up the pitch. Main problem with that though is a recurring issue around center half. Can’t play that if Williams, Philips or even Henderson is playing centre half. I expect them to play Rashford through the middle. One of the main reasons why I didn’t see the logic of leaving this gap in the squad. Against Spurs Williams got caught out for two great chances that Spurs should have buried and even at Newcastle Wilson was through a few times. For me that will be where the game is won and lost. United trying to soak it up with Fernandes trying to play Rashford through.

United would take a draw in a heartbeat, I am hoping Ole gets stuck between going for it and being cautious. Martial could be out so he might stiffin the midfield with McTomminay.

Even if LFC lost this game would still fancy LFC to finish ahead of them. Last night Matic and Martial both seem to pick up knocks and if they lost a few key players, they don’t have the back up.

3-0 reds :D

3. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

Allison
    Trent matip( Williams if not fit for his pace) fabhino robbo
    Gini Thiago hendo
    Mane Bobby salah

they will defend and counter attack . An early goal from us and they will have to come out and play

4. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Best home form against away form. They best form in a lifetime, we are on rough patch.
    Let's hope we start well. Not having a fit senior natural cb and not bringing one in is crazy.
    Matip won't be risked, so will be interesting see who plays cb. We missed hendo in midfield. They will be all over thiago like a rask. We Can't lose i feel as will knock our confidence even more. Long boys up front have shooting shoes on, they will destroy there defence for pace.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Could be 5th or 6th on Sunday night, can't allow that to happen.

6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

We have played really well in all our big games and won them all* bar the city draw.

Utd have lost to Spurs, Arsenal, PSG, Leipiz and City and drew with Chelsea, Leicester and City. They have shit the bed in nearly all of those games. They fluked wins against WBA, Wolves and Villa with spawny deflections and penalties. They aren't a good side and they won't finish in the top 2. I actually think this little flurry of success could result in a finish outside the top 4 because their entitled fans and cheerleaders won't react well when this all falls apart.

* I'm giving us a win in the Derby.

Shane_90 and Skintown Red like this.
  7. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Or top

8. LayneVedder

LayneVedder
    Expand Collapse

Would be a massive game if we were 7th and 8th in the league. Where we are now makes it the biggest one in years. Worried about CB options but we’re a much better team. Must win.

9. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I think that having Matip in the team is massive. Henderson missing from midfield would be a huge blow.
    Having Henderson, Gini, Thiago, Mane, Bobby and Salah as the 6 should be enough to beat Utd.
    Milner has to start for me if Henderson at cb again.

10. SHOWTIME

SHOWTIME
    Expand Collapse

We are the Premier League Champions and much better than them fluky scum!

We will easily beat them!!I have absolutely no doubt about that!

11. Gareth Ryan

Gareth Ryan
    Expand Collapse

I would be surprised to see Matip in our line up for Sunday. It has shown before when he plays and isn't 100% he ends up coming off at some point in the game. Still thinking we will win this game but will need to up on our game and not like the last 3 games.
    Think the real frustration is if we had VD & Gomez with Hendo, Fab, Thiago in the middle of the park we control and win this game no questions and properly be clear by 6 points at least.

12. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

I imagine its going to be a very cagey game on Sunday. Utd to park the bus and play for a draw but they are bound to get 2-3 chances is their hope.

I'm not so sure they are disciplined enough to park the bus against the quality sides though

13. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Would enjoy nothing more than putting them in their place. Midfield of Gini, Thiago and Hendo should be able to control the game. Phillips in beside Fabinho rather than Williams for me.

Agree that I don't think that they are as good as their results suggest, time for us to show that.

14. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Personally see it as a must win game not that we can’t pull 6 points back but more don’t want to be 5 points possibly behind City.

Expecting us to be well prepared for this especially with Klopp saying we’re finally able to train 11 v 11

2-1 home win with united getting a pen.

15. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

........................Allison

Trent ....... Phillips...... Fabinho ..... Robertson

............Thiago ......Henderson ..Wijnaldum

..................Salah...Bobby......Mane

vodkacolly likes this.
  16. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Thankfully Jose isn't their manager anymore :)

robbie st leger likes this.
  17. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

If CB issue is sorted ie Matip back in I think we beat them
    Players had 9 days between last match and this so should be ripping into them from first kick of the ball
    I just hope we are not discussing referee/VAR on Sunday evening

18. RedArmagh

RedArmagh
    Expand Collapse

Would expect williams to get the nod over Phillips as big Nat to my eyes would struggle with the pace they will have uptop and on the counter.

19. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Williams doesn’t look much faster

vodkacolly likes this.
  20. RedArmagh

RedArmagh
    Expand Collapse

Not much but i think he is a bit. Slow v slower i think.
    Much like comparing myself atm who is carrying a bit extra with a bad knee. Id still fancy id beat my granny in a race